28 replies to this topic

#1 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

Hello FWC nation ...

I am looking at a FWC shell purchase, Hawk or Granby, or similar, from ATC. ATC will help outfit individually but I like the improvements FWC has updated over time. Fiberglass siding is an option I am seriously considering, only offered by FWC. How is the Fiberglass holding up for all of you owners? Any regrets? I am looking for an owner satisfaction grade. Weathering? Do you keep your Camper garaged? Any preservation upkeep involved? Any idea if interior condensation is less w/fiberglass? Insulative improvement? Any opportunity to have compared Glass vs Alum under similar conditions?

I own an aluminum 15' Klamath SS rear tiller. When temperatures reach mid 80's and above, I can not touch the exterior of my boat w/o gloves, when not in the water. It is too hot to handle. What does the Camper aluminum siding feel like under similar conditions? Does the aluminum white siding really negate that heat?
Thanks for any info shared ...

Edited by Stokeme, 05 August 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Can't answer the question on fiberglass. I heard that the aluminum was more resilient than the fiberglass and the majority of campers sold are aluminum. Never had an issue with the aluminum siding being hot. Whether you have aluminum or fiberglass the aluminum frame will still be a conduit in cold temperatures, so condensation will still be present. You can minimize the condensation by having the vents and some windows cracked. Hope this helps. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

We had a FWC several years ago. When I asked the factory about the glass sides, the salesman advised against it, saying that aluminum is far easier to repair if you have an accident. I believe it is lighter as well. No problem with hot metal like an aluminum boat. We've since gone to an ATC Bobcat for several reasons. I am very happy with the ATC, and would not hesitate to buy another one if needed. The personal touch and customer focus of the owners and crew is fantastic.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I've had no issues with hot siding on my Eagle. But I'm not in the southwest either.

The glass siding looks great. But it is heavier per the dealer.

No experience with this particular glass siding. But I have several friends with travel trailers with similar hat have had problems with delamination. Like anything else different makers, different quality levels. That doesn't mean the FWC siding will do that. But it might give me pause.

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

I've had no issues with hot siding on my Eagle. But I'm not in the southwest either.

The glass siding looks great. But it is heavier per the dealer.

No experience with this particular glass siding. But I have several friends with travel trailers with similar hat have had problems with delamination. Like anything else different makers, different quality levels. That doesn't mean the FWC siding will do that. But it might give me pause.

If FWC fibreglass models were prone to delaminating, I'm sure we would have seen a post on it with a pic.  To my knowledge there haven't been any.

#6 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

I camp & travel throughout the year in the southwest; Arizona, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, New Mexico, Baja and the So Cal deserts.

I also have an ATC Bobcat with all white aluminium sides and the exterior is never hot to the touch, even when the daytime temp is well over 100 degrees and full sun.

Now, the dark soft pop-up side liner material can get hot to the touch if direct sun is reaching it. However, it is easy to avoid touching the soft pop-up side liner material.

And, when camping in colder places, I like to figure out where the sun will come up and have one of the sides of the camper be struck by the morning sun, just to warm up the interior without having to turn on the furnace. I've had it go from the 40's to above 70 degrees in about 15 to 20 minutes after sunrise. Plenty comfortable to get out of the sleeping bag.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 05 August 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#7 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

Love my fiberglass siding!

No issues with fiberglass whatsoever.  None!

I keep it garaged because of all of the exterior plastic parts being sensitive to the sun over time. I'd suggest everyone else do the same if they plan on keeping their camper more than 10 years.

I would imagine all of the sealing around the exterior doors, windows, ports, vents, etc, etc. would be better on fiberglass because of the flat surface .... as opposed to FWC using more of that grey sealant to compensate for the uneven surface of aluminum siding.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fiberglass FWC.jpg

#8 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

post-6000-0-96033100-1501986234_thumb.jp

Nice looking truck and camper.

#9 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate that.

#10 slus

slus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Nice rig, Bombsite.

My next camper will be fiberglass, just for aesthetic reasons. Aluminum siding looked great riding on my 96 F350. Solely my opinion, not to be used to sway others in any way, the alum siding looks a bit dated on the back of the 2017 MegaCab Ram. That and my non-extended cabover looks a bit funny with how big the cab of the truck is. 

New shell models sure are well equipped these days  :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users