• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Thanks to all that have commented, appreciate the feedback. It is good to know that the aluminum siding is not a heat sink.
A few questions:
Does the "thermal pack" help mitigate heat gathered by the pop-up side liner material, as mentioned in post #6?
I'm a tent camper my entire life so only rainfly condensation, when used. 1 or 2 vents? Powered? Venting strategies?

Bombsight ... has all that exterior lighting been a good option? How much weight is on your camper roof with the top up? I plan to carry at least a kayak for the wife & probably my small canoe when I leave my boat behind. I imagine I would need to remove them before pop up?
I will add ... that smooth fiberglass siding coupled with that white truck is pretty sexy.

#12 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, Slus.

Stokeme .... If I were to do it again, I would skip on the little rectangle amber porch lights on each side. They might come in handy in rare events of excessive bugs but I wouldn't spend much time outside if that were the case.
I highly recommend the lights underneath the campers side edge (on each corner) ... especially on white body trucks. The reflective ambient light makes setting up in the dark really nice. The long,,skinny, LED porch light on each side is nice when under the awning at night ... one more functional than the other obviously.
Absolutely get the big powerful square flood lights on the back (2). Sooo many uses!

Weight on top? typically not much more than about 35-40#'s. A few surfboards, outdoor shower w/bag, a couple of foldup chairs and a small bar-b-que pit. No way can I lift it unless I take half of that off.
Forget about lifting the roof with either a kayak or canoe. You may be strong enough but I wouldn't chance the damage. They would have to be really small or made with some unseen space age material.
Disclaimer: The weight issues above are considering a 180 watt solar panel, Yakima tracks and two sets of Yakima racks, two fans and Thule luggage rack.

I've grown to really like the all white kit. Really wanted a black truck but like I've said before .... function over form rules.

Also, a solar charged, motion activated light above the door is awesome. You can find those at Amazon and use 3M double sided tape to mount.

Edited by Bombsight, 06 August 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#13 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

A few questions:
Does the "thermal pack" help mitigate heat gathered by the pop-up side liner material, as mentioned in post #6?
I'm a tent camper my entire life so only rainfly condensation, when used. 1 or 2 vents? Powered? Venting strategies?

Yes, I'd say the thermal pack decreases temperature difference transfer by quite a bit, in both directions; cold to hot and hot to cold. I've not used mine as much as I thought I would, however, it is nice at times to have the option to use it. I store the unit in the truck cab behind the front seat.

And, a clarification...Without the thermal pack, as mentioned in post #6, to warm up the camper in cold situations in the morning, we leave the windows closed until the inside temp is heated up, then when we get up a few minutes after sunrise, we open the soft side windows in varying amounts to allow air & temperature exchange with the outside.

The neat thing about the soft side windows is you have a lot of variability in how you use them. Open fully, open 1/4 - 1/3 - 1/2- etc. to closed for both the clear window for air flow and the solid window for light control.

I have one FantasticFan, 12 speed, reversible with remote control and rain sensor in the back and a plain open/close vent in the front over the bed. I like this set-up. A single FantasticFan or it's equivalent by another manufacturer can move all the air you want, in my opinion, other camper owners have two powered fans. Not many have ZERO powered fans. To each their own.

My venting strategy is to have both vents open some depending on the temp (little open if colder vs a lot open if hot). The first three low speeds move a fair amount of air without ANY NOISE (which we like at night, listening to the outside sounds), higher speeds are increasingly louder and of course move a lot more air. We will also have the soft side windows open or closed in varying amounts depending on the conditions. 

Experiment when you get yours and you'll have you own venting strategy pretty quickly.

I only saw your statement about condensation, I didn't see a question relating to it.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 06 August 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#14 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Overlooked the thermal pack question.

I keep mine on 24/7 all year long. Why wouldn't everyone? It works.

It blocks out a lot of light when you want to sleep late also.

Don't let it touch anything really hot! It melts  quicker than you can curse.

#15 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Great feedback! And thanks Alley-Kat for some venting strategy. Your earlier post actually got me thinking about venting. In my former life I was a greenhouse grower, (not that crop), & venting was a big deal. My thoughts are much the same about a fan. Two vents with one premium fan, one vent passive, could add another fan later.
Anymore fiberglass camper owners with some field usage data to share? Testimonials?

#16 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

You're welcome.

And, yes you can add another powered fan later as far as I know both FWC & ATC pre-wire both locations in the roof, independent of what you order at the time of purchase.

Another thought on the heating from the soft side material.

I believe ATC is still using the dark soft side material, while FWC has changed and gone with a lighter color soft side material, I think ithe FWC soft side looks "tan". And, we know that darker color materials absorb and radiate at a higher rate than a lighter color material. For good or bad or otherwise. Not that important a feature, either way, to buy from one company over the other. Just another small factor to consider.

#17 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

I love my fiberglass siding but mine is still very new so only a few trips out. No problems early on and it looks nice.

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

If FWC fibreglass models were prone to delaminating, I'm sure we would have seen a post on it with a pic.  To my knowledge there haven't been any.

I imagine you are correct! FWC tends to use quality materials. Shame many manufacturers do not.

#19 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:18 AM

Picked up my grandby shell in January, fiberglass ext. silver spur interior. Love it yet as Adam said, still too new to comment on age related problems. One interesting note is that the 5 year warranty is only 2 years on the fiberglass siding. Don't know why. When I ordered last October I was torn between FWC and ATC. I simply ran out of time and made the decision based on 'looks' but from reading it seems you can't go wrong whichever you choose. ATC seems the choice if you want to customize from the factory. But if your buying a shell and will customize yourself then either one seems a great product. Took a week trip last week, (maiden voyage), really enjoyed ourselves. Everything worked.

#20 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:00 AM

Lobster1 ..... what did you add to your shell? 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck? I would like a 1/2 ton but don't want to do Mods. Airbags maybe ...
Might end up getting 3/4 ton. Adam, what model did you get? Truck?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users