Hey all- I've been looking for a Blazer model 4wheel camper for a very long time. I found it finally last week on Craigslist and checked it out yesterday and ultimately pulled the trigger despite some flaws. First off the target vehicle the camper is destined for. I've got a 1991 Blazer that I'm running a 5.3L LS engine, 700r4 trans, 241 t-case and 8 lug D44 front and 14b full floater rear axle. It's been a long time project that's been roadworthy for over a year now.
The Blazer is very off road capable but not a fun place to live out of for a week in Utah. Sleeping inside the Blazer requires cleaning out a weeks worth of gear. So we didn't do that, I used a Hammock or a tent depending on the terrain and if I could hang my hammock or not. This is my second Blazer and Ever since my buddy had a Pheonix camper built to his specs for his 78 K10 I knew I wanted to find one of these special campers.
This is what I found. 1982 model on a 1987 K5.
Sharp eyes will be drawn to the main issue. Yep, the particleboard used in the cabover and front wall is rotten. Meaning there is a leak somewhere. The seller was very forthcoming and indicated the leak was a couple of roof screws that were no longer sealed and a cracked roof vent.
The roof is solid, but the seam to the edge is dried up and missing in multiple areas. The vent is covered currently and the inside is dry. Thankfully the fabric portion is in great shape and not moldy or cracked.
Here's the cab wall.
Inside the headliner is loose in multiple spots, more likely due to the roof leaking. No water staining though.
Still the rest of the unit is very solid.
Cabover right side:
Cabover left side. Yes that's daylight coming through the particle board..
The front lift panel is crispy on the outer wings, but is a decent template. Rear lift panel is in great shape. Plan is to bring it home next weekend and get the help of a carpenter buddy that can do the wood portion. I helped him lift his Jeep as he's less than automotive inclined and I'm a hack when it comes to woodworking. We'll replace the particle board with marine grade plywood, with added sealer and possibly a thin fiberglass skin on the outer exposed portions. We will also strip the grungy carpet off of the separate floor section and the carpet on the walls is coming off too. The carpet may be replaced with laminate or remenants of our upcoming wood floor project in our house. Then we can get the heater and stove working. The refrigerator is a question mark. I don't want to spend money here if it don't work. I could buy a 12v portible unit that draws less amperage and isn't locked into this rig.
So that's the basic plan. I will say I picked it up really cheap so I'm not too deep into this moneywise. Usually these units only get sold with the Blazer they are bolted onto. Timing was right as I had the money and was in the area to check it out. The wood was a little understated in the ad, but knowing I've got a buddy that is very capable, I think it is very fixable.
I'll be posting the progress here as well as questions as they come up. The progress will be slow once wheeling season is over and a few house projects get knocked out. But the plan is to have it useable by the spring next year.