• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#181 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for suggestions guys.   I've been driving the truck on and off since we put the bench in.  Without doing any changes.  I can say without a doubt the biggest rattle is the where the secondary section is folded over onto the main lid.  The legs don't make nearly as much noise.  

I think I'm going to put some kind of catch on the main lid to the base to keep it tight.   On the top section I think I'll add some short carpet like speaker box material or the peel and stick stuff.  It will also go on the top side the secondary section.  The rest I'll stain and seal.  

#182 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:12 AM

Need to get some updates in.  The desert trip is in 2 weeks.  I had to get stuff knocked out to be prepared to go.  Without further delay I'll get into it...

Main thing I needed to do is silence the rattles of the new bench.  We did a validation run the weekend before to shake down our trucks before the big trip and the noise was beyond obnoxious.  I knew it would be noisy, but I found myself stuffing anything soft in between the main lid and the fold out section and the main lid to the box.  Plus the added shake from washboard roads really allowed the heavy box to move around more than I expected even with my heavy tool bag and spare parts/fluid bag.  

To quell the lid rattles I added rubber "T" handle latches, very similar to ones found on high end coolers.  The main lid is latched down to the side and the fold out is latched to main lid.  Oh and as you'll see here I moved the supports down to the side from the fold out section.

47886561481_ec662e341a_b.jpg

Here's a better shot of one of the latches.  By spreading the anchor out a little bit you can set a little tension in the latch to hold tight.  

47097207884_b072f6c750_b.jpg

The support legs got reconfigured to swing sideways by relocating the hinges to the side of the box. They open easy, but nestle in up to the side and under the lid tightly.  They still support the added section like before, but it also smooths out the top to allow seating easier.  Plus they can't bounce around like before.

47097207804_555c65c3b0_b.jpg

To stop the box from moving I screwed it down to the floor in 16 spots.  Now I wouldn't consider screwing into the pristine floor that my K5 has.  But the unique thing the Blazer camper has is a plywood floor that originally had carpet on it. There is nothing connecting the floor the the camper itself, but it allowed FWC to screw down the stock bench to the floor and the lower section of the cabinet to the floor. You can see the floor earlier in this thread when the camper went on the final time, with the rubber bed mat instead of the nasty carpet.  1.5" Long screws were enough to get through the plywood floor of the bench, rubber mat and into the plywood floor below.  It's not going anywhere now.  Nice and solid.  

46970449135_7aeacceca5_b.jpg

I had an extra T-handle latch so I added it to the two main cabinet doors on the other side.  I found out on the rough stuff last summer the cabinet latches I installed are not rated for off road duty.  So one latch between the two doors stops the ability of them flying open off road.  

46970450125_c525bbebc5_b.jpg

The good news I discovered by placing the cooler inside is I have enough room to move with it inside and not need to pull it out at every camp spot.  My co-pilot for the last two years is driving his recently finished K5 so I'll be solo this time around.  So I'll probably not need to deploy the fold out section at all on this trip.  The fresh memory foam mattress up top is where I'm going to sleep.  

Outside I had to wrap up a couple of items with the help of my buddy Bill on the bumper project.  I needed a basket to allow me to carry added fuel/water cans for the long trip.  Bill put together a strong basket that bolts to the bumper by way of a c-channel over the top of the bumper.  It will hold three 5 gallon cans.  

Bill added a vertical gusset underneath to aid in supporting the load of the cans.  

47076752684_5f11f8f93d_b.jpg

I can put my weight on it and not have it budge.  

46949992965_fe7bc03550_b.jpg

The license plate needed hard mounted and light added to be legal again.  A LED light gives out a huge amount a light.  Crazy amount.  

33988943288_1cd805f28b_b.jpg

I do need to tie the wiring down, but it's otherwise ready.  

Time to load out next weekend.  All I'll have to pack before leaving is the coolers and my duffel bag I hopefully remember to bring this time around.  

#183 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:07 AM

Well I should be on the desert trip right now.   The rest of the desert rats that I go with are, but work duties required me to stay home this year.  My Service advisor and backup had a major family issue come up.  His father was in late stages of a battle with cancer and took a turn to the end mid last week.   He came to me not sure of what to do and it was pretty easy to tell him to go be with his Dad.  Don't get me wrong I was disappointed, but with nobody else to back me up there really wasn't a choice.  I can go play out in the desert just about anytime and it will always be there to do so.  His Dad wasn't going to be with him much longer.   I could not fathom forcing him to work in that time so I could go play in the dirt.   So I stayed home.   

I had done a lot of planning and work on the truck to go.   The plan had gone out the window when the location got changed, but the work on the truck wasn't for not as I'll be going out more this Summer and fall.   

The group text leading up to the departure time was fraught with smack talking and wise cracks sprinkled in with actual plans for meet up time/location as well as target trails.   Pretty funny.   But through all the smack talking it became apparent that another member here Richard (mightydodgeram) and fellow Desert Rat had upgraded his kit to a dual zone Dometic Fridge from a single zone ARB.  I inquired about it and we struck a deal for him to bring it along and me take it home.  Well, since I couldn't go my Colorado crew took on the task to bring it back to me.  It's the one bright spot coming out of me not going is I'll finally have a fridge for the Camper and it's just the right size for my setup.  I'm super stoked about it and can't say thanks enough to Richard for the deal.  

Looks like the SPOT link has them at Saline Valley Warm Springs camping tonight.  They did Lippencott Mine road early this morning after checking out the Racetrack Playa yesterday.   Not sure where they will head tomorrow, but I'm sure they'll have fun.  

Plans for taking time for a longer trip have shifted.  Target is Moab in September for an outing called Blazer Bash.  Think of it as Easter Jeep Safari, but with Full Size GM trucks and no Jeeps.   Much less crowds too.  My buddy from Denver with the 77 K5/FWC camper like mine is planning on going after a full drivetrain swap to his truck.  He's close to startup on the L29 Vortec 454, NV4500 5-speed and one ton axles.   He's kicking ass on the build and should be very capable off road.  

Before then I'll probably take some 3 day weekends in July/August to screw around in the local mountains for off road action.  

I'm bummed about not going on Desert trip but excited for the other options I can get into that I may not have before.  

#184 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:30 AM

Hi Zoomad
Sorry to hear about your change of plans, but it's never hard to do the right thing. I know two people who are very greatful!

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#185 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:29 AM

It's all for the best in the long run.  I'll be taking my Dad to the NSRA Rocky Mountain Street Rod Nationals here in Pueblo in a couple of weeks from now.  I wouldn't have been able to go due to our Saturday work schedule had I gone on the desert trip. 

Shhh...They only let in cars/trucks from 1989 and earlier, Mine will Identify as a '89 that weekend.  Nobody checks vins at these things and 89-91 trucks are visually the same anyway.  It would take a total Squarebody nerd like me to pick out the differences.  We've found it's the best way to check out a show of this size is to be parked within it.  Since my Nova is laid up in my garage the K5 is going to get cleaned up for the show.  As a bonus the camper will have the fridge inside so we won't run out of cold drinks. I could make us lunch on the camp stove if we really want to as well.  

It's a good time and since my Dad isn't really up for getting tossed around off road and camping, it's a good alternative.  We've hit a couple of Cruise nights in Denver with it and had fun.  Dad and I do a few shows each summer every year as it's one of the things we've always done together.  And as my coworker's experience just reminded me, I won't have him around forever, so it's now or never.  

#186 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

That fridge should keep your drinks nice and frosty! Thanks for helping me out with the sale. I’m glad the fridge gets to stay in the “family”.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#187 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:20 AM

That fridge should keep your drinks nice and frosty! Thanks for helping me out with the sale. I’m glad the fridge gets to stay in the “family”.

That it should!  I know it's going to be a game changer for my camping game for sure.  It's not leaving the "family" for sure!

#188 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

Not a hard call, and not a fun one either, but the right one. Good.

The CFO of the company that I worked for at the time invented a paid leave so that I could see my grandad (second father to me) one last time despite being out of PTO.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#189 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:07 AM

Not a hard call, and not a fun one either, but the right one. Good.

The CFO of the company that I worked for at the time invented a paid leave so that I could see my grandad (second father to me) one last time despite being out of PTO.

I know my coworker would have done the same thing for me.   I've spoken to a couple of the guys in the last couple of days when they reached Furnace Creek for restocking of fuel and water.   Sounds like they've had a solid trip, no major mechanical issues and hit some tough trails without damage.  Spectacular scenery for sure from a couple of pics that got texted my way.  I'm bummed I missed out, but am really looking forward to Moab in Sept.   The lack of AC in my truck shouldn't be as much of an issue as it would have been in DV now.  

#190 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Last weekend my Jeep buddies were making a quick overnight run to a local high mountain lake with family.  I had to work on Saturday morning, but I was only an hour away from the trailhead.  So I brought my dog to work with the truck packed the night before and headed out once I closed up. 

Some changes have happened to make for more efficient use of space and time when in "camp" mode.  One of which is the Chuck Box.   This is all the cooking gear in one Pelican Case.  Get to camp, yank it out of the back and pull the stove and table out to get cooking.  Plus it's weather tight and dust proof to stay outside. 
48198513802_587de1036e_b.jpg

The ARB fridge mounted inside.  Thanks again Richard!
48198513797_98ae66d871_b.jpg

Happy Doggo ready for adventure!
48198466516_34bb0694a4_b.jpg

Since the group had gone up much earlier in the day than I did, I ran the trail solo.  I didn't stop and take many pictures from the outside as I just wanted to get up the trail.  This is at the Bottom of the Rainbow Lake trail. 
48198465656_b8a70f57aa_b.jpg

Gaining Elevation, you can look back into the valley I came from.  Also, many burned trees in this area from a fire 8 or 9 years back.  The Aspen Trees are coming back in force.
48198512162_41a7cc0fc9_b.jpg

Close to camp, they set up at the edge of this creek.  
48198510792_eeca55df83_b.jpg

Once in camp a few minutes and it's all set up.  Beer:30 time. 
48198548177_a254cb5ef6_b.jpg

Storm and I walked down to the lake to check it out for the fishing.  The lake is higher than anybody I was with there could ever remember.  Record Snow levels from last winter have many of my favorite trails still closed.  The lake is so high there is no shoreline.  It's up to the base of the mountain on two sides with a scree field of rocks/boulders making it a challenge to navigate. My buddies tried for hours and didn't get a bite.
48198546772_2cec0033a3_b.jpg

Further across the lake.  
48198544022_59b8891733_b.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: K5, Blazer, 4wc, 4wheel, FWC, pop-up, camper, crawlabago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users