• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Beazler

Mr.Beazler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

Hey WTW people! First let me thank everyone on this site for all the helpful information, using WTW the past couple years has been an amazing resource for information. There are some sweet setups out there and great ideas in general.

I have 2 Toyota Tundras, both first gen, one is a 2002 ext cab, the other is 2005 crew with the 4 doors

I have been searching like most people and researching for a couple years now, and last year I almost bought a late 90's Eagle Shell from a guy in Montana. I was second to call, 20 minutes after posted online, he told me he had a guy coming to look at it already but if that guy didn't want it I was next. He calls me back, "you want it?" the asking price is $2400. At that point I thought the Eagle would fit nice, but I hadn't actually seen it or done it myself so Im not too sure. I dropped everything, took the topper off my 2002 ext. cab Tundra, and headed out to Manhattan, Mt. about 5 hours away from me. Ill spare you all the details but it was all messed up, leaking roof, completely bent cab-over section, etc. BUT, IT FIT PERFECT!  So I didn't buy it he said he had a line of people trying to buy it so I politely declined and left.

At this point I know how the eagle model from the late 90's (he said it was a 2004, but the tag on the back said it was built in 99) fit in my Tundra, and I been on the hunt for either and eagle or kestrel (ATC) shell. I have been close a few times but not yet.

Yesterday I checked all my usual classifieds ads, craigslist, WTW, KSL etc.  I find this 2000 "shell model" 6.5 in LA. Basically repeat from last year, second caller, this time 15 min after ad placed etc.. I reply immediately, the CL ad says Text, I Text. Twice. I email. I call. hear nothing for a couple of hours then the guy calls me. "Well I got a guy coming to look at it now but if he doesn't want it your next" He doesn't know i live 750 miles away. There are no logos or tags on the unit. Its completely MINT, he's used it twice, its been sitting in his garage and it looks like it. He says all he knows is its called a "Shell model" from 2000, Im under the impression there are more than one "shell" you can get, like is it an "Eagle Shell" or a "Hawk shell" etc. (I know what an FWC Shell is - empty, no seats, no stove, no nothing, just shell and bed pads ) and thats what I want. But did "Shells" come in more than one model in the year 2000??? I found a thread yesterday here on WTW of all (at least that he knew of, which seemed like this guy knows a lot) models by year and it had the "Shell" as a separate model in 2000. Like its not the eagle model shell version or whatever, its just called the shell 6.5???

Does anyone out there know what Im talking about and can shed some light on it? What are the dimensions of the 2000 Shell 6.5? is it the same as the eagle shell from 2000 / late 90's? 

Hope so, I bought it sight unseen and am driving 1500 miles this weekend to get it hahaha wish me luck!

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

Wow, sure hope it works out for you!

Do you have the original craigslist ad we could look at and photos?

We may be able to then identify the model and add other information.

With FWC most of the models were available as a "shell"

From your information that it is a 6.5' shell, this could be either an Eagle shell or a Hawk shell.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:46 AM

Hey WTW people! First let me thank everyone on this site for all the helpful information, using WTW the past couple years has been an amazing resource for information. There are some sweet setups out there and great ideas in general.

I have 2 Toyota Tundras, both first gen, one is a 2002 ext cab, the other is 2005 crew with the 4 doors

I have been searching like most people and researching for a couple years now, and last year I almost bought a late 90's Eagle Shell from a guy in Montana. I was second to call, 20 minutes after posted online, he told me he had a guy coming to look at it already but if that guy didn't want it I was next. He calls me back, "you want it?" the asking price is $2400. At that point I thought the Eagle would fit nice, but I hadn't actually seen it or done it myself so Im not too sure. I dropped everything, took the topper off my 2002 ext. cab Tundra, and headed out to Manhattan, Mt. about 5 hours away from me. Ill spare you all the details but it was all messed up, leaking roof, completely bent cab-over section, etc. BUT, IT FIT PERFECT!  So I didn't buy it he said he had a line of people trying to buy it so I politely declined and left.

At this point I know how the eagle model from the late 90's (he said it was a 2004, but the tag on the back said it was built in 99) fit in my Tundra, and I been on the hunt for either and eagle or kestrel (ATC) shell. I have been close a few times but not yet.

Yesterday I checked all my usual classifieds ads, craigslist, WTW, KSL etc.  I find this 2000 "shell model" 6.5 in LA. Basically repeat from last year, second caller, this time 15 min after ad placed etc.. I reply immediately, the CL ad says Text, I Text. Twice. I email. I call. hear nothing for a couple of hours then the guy calls me. "Well I got a guy coming to look at it now but if he doesn't want it your next" He doesn't know i live 750 miles away. There are no logos or tags on the unit. Its completely MINT, he's used it twice, its been sitting in his garage and it looks like it. He says all he knows is its called a "Shell model" from 2000, Im under the impression there are more than one "shell" you can get, like is it an "Eagle Shell" or a "Hawk shell" etc. (I know what an FWC Shell is - empty, no seats, no stove, no nothing, just shell and bed pads ) and thats what I want. But did "Shells" come in more than one model in the year 2000??? I found a thread yesterday here on WTW of all (at least that he knew of, which seemed like this guy knows a lot) models by year and it had the "Shell" as a separate model in 2000. Like its not the eagle model shell version or whatever, its just called the shell 6.5???

Does anyone out there know what Im talking about and can shed some light on it? What are the dimensions of the 2000 Shell 6.5? is it the same as the eagle shell from 2000 / late 90's? 

Hope so, I bought it sight unseen and am driving 1500 miles this weekend to get it hahaha wish me luck!

I believe the info you were looking at came from this thread.   That data came from NADAGuides and it's not clear what its source was or how accurate it is.  Right off the bat I think we can call it suspect in that it doesn't show shell models for other years and we know they were available.

I agree with ski3pin that FWC was generally selling shell versions of most of their line.  And a few searches tell us there was indeed a 2000 Eagle shell (here's one), a 2000 Grandby shell (here's one), and I have a 2001 Hawk-size shell.    

It would be helpful to get the width of the unit to help you identify it.   My Hawk shell is 80 inches wide and a bit over 48" at the wheel wells. According to this Expo post, a 2000 Eagle is 69" wide  and 39 1/4 at the wheel wells.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 Mr.Beazler

Mr.Beazler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

hey thanks ski3pin and oldcrow! I got the measurements back from the seller, its 20in base to bed rail, 44 ¾ base to over cab, 48in wheel well, 57 ¾ between the bed rails, and 80in side to side. Now I'm sure these #'s are not completely exact but i bet its close enough to identify it. As most likely a Hawk shell then is what it sounds like. Ski3pin thanks i have used a bunch of your information in my searches! After speaking with the seller he removed the ad so there is no pics available, the ad itself is gone. I do have a couple pics on my phone of the ad, trying to get those up here for you. Old Crow also thank you! Do you happen to know the weight of your shell empty ? Thanks guys i will get some pics up soon and hopefully pickup or the camper goes well, these thing are impossible to come by and I knew i had to go for it if i wanted to go for it, hahah time will tell.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

20" tall to bedrail sounds like the "Kestrel" variant of the Hawk at 80" wide.  The other thing is the size of the cabover.  The "extended" 48" deep version is a nice to have.

#6 Mr.Beazler

Mr.Beazler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

Here's the pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

hey thanks ski3pin and oldcrow! I got the measurements back from the seller, its 20in base to bed rail, 44 ¾ base to over cab, 48in wheel well, 57 ¾ between the bed rails, and 80in side to side. Now I'm sure these #'s are not completely exact but i bet its close enough to identify it. As most likely a Hawk shell then is what it sounds like. <snip>

Do you happen to know the weight of your shell empty ?

Yeah, those measurements are very close to mine.  I've not weighed it but after reading several threads about camper weight here on WTW I'm convinced its something on the order of 1000-1100 pounds. (It came with furnace and propane tank and the previous owner built in counter, stove, fresh and gray-water tanks and pumps, single-battery system, and a settee)

An issue you will want to look at is camper fit on your Tundras.  If you're thinking of putting it on your 02 Access Cab,  take a look at the photos in post 3 of this 'What is the Kestrel model' thread.  Look closely at the spacing between the bedrail and camper wing and between the truck's roof and the underside of the cabover (on the Hawk model compared to the Kestrel model).    (Also, I believe the floorpack length on the Kestrel version is six inches shorter than the Hawk)

I see Stan's post suggests the Hawk will fit your Double Cab Tundra but you may also want to take the measurements you have out to your Tundras to envision how the shell would fit.

This 'Four Wheel Campers Hawk - Tundra Fit' thread also addresses the topic.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, shell, eagle, hawk, 2000, 6.5, tundra, firstgen, measurement, weight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users