40 replies to this topic

#1 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

Question:

Can somebody explain the wiring process or show an example of an additional 110v outlet coming from the dual batteries .... or whatever power source is best?

I know nothing about it but I'd like to install one in the tall skinny cabinet on right side of the side dinette model (next to the Hawks side window - not above it).

Edited by Bombsight, 14 August 2017 - 02:34 AM.

#2 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

110v from the batteries ? You will need an inverter, a catastrophe fuse (sized to the size of the inverter), some wire, and an outlet. A cut off switch would be also be advisable, as the inverter will have low amperage draw even when nothing is being powered from it.

Edited by Power Wagon, 14 August 2017 - 03:47 AM.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

In the cabinet next to the fridge you should find a double outlet, with fridge plugged into one of those. Might save you time and money. Jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

First, what is your source of 110v AC power?

Do you mean using another outlet while on shore power? If so, a good quality outlet strip may provide for your needs if the fridge outlet is insufficient.

On the other hand, if you mean converting 12v DC power from your batteries, Power Wagon has stated what needs to be done.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone.

Longhorn, I will look at that closely. If there isn't a problem running a hidden power cord from said spot to preferred cabinet, I'll do just that.

I plan on putting a 2000 watt converter in eventually. Maybe I should just wait until I do so?

The main reason for the 110v plug is to power a Dish Sat. TV receiver (sits on top of said tall skinny cabinet - TV hangs above feet over bed on passenger side).

A converter is desired for a Nuwave induction burner and a toaster (so far).

I'd like the option of having some short term 110 power without having to pull out the generator each time.

hmmm ... Converter wiring or straight from fridge plug? :huh:

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:18 AM

On the other hand, if you mean converting 12v DC power from your batteries, Power Wagon has stated what needs to be done.

Paul

You might also want to figure out how much power you want to draw at 110v, and for how long.  My wife got all excited about the 110v socket in the camper, and wanted to use her hair dryer.  I had to explain that the 350w inverter that created the 110v from our batteries would not be able to do that.   :wacko:

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:59 AM

If you just need an extra outlet when plugged into shore power; the previous owner of my Hawk piggy backed off of the factory 110v outlet and added an outlet near where the rear window was so the A/C unit that is there now has a power outlet. Works just fine.

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

You might also want to figure out how much power you want to draw at 110v, and for how long.  My wife got all excited about the 110v socket in the camper, and wanted to use her hair dryer.  I had to explain that the 350w inverter that created the 110v from our batteries would not be able to do that.   :wacko:

:D Bet that was as hard as explaining electricity basics to me.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

yeah... needless to say I am considering a bigger inverter.... 

#10 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:35 AM

If you just need an extra outlet when plugged into shore power; the previous owner of my Hawk piggy backed off of the factory 110v outlet and added an outlet near where the rear window was so the A/C unit that is there now has a power outlet. Works just fine.

Thats exactly what I need ... and then a inverter for a cooktop and toaster later on.

I have 110 outlet in the back right corner for the AC that FWC put in. That would probably be better than running conduit from fridge area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users