40 replies to this topic

#21 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

For me, it sort of depends on what you are already using the propane for.

Without a propane stove and with a propane furnace and maybe a propane fridge... No flame, No CO2, No water vapor inside the camper.

If you have a propane stove in the camper, then not a lot of difference iMHO.

I've left the world of 110 VAC and switched over to propane for various reasons.  

Vic & Bombsight will have to say why they want an induction cooktop and if they already have propane units and which ones.

#22 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

I would think that in a colder clime where propane has to be refilled but batteries (with solar) do not it would allow for longer boondocking?

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#23 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

Without a propane stove and with a propane furnace and maybe a propane fridge... No flame, No CO2, No water vapor inside the camper.

Only if you don't breathe

#24 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

OK, point taken. 

Is there a difference in the amount of those generated by appliances vs humans?

#25 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

I don't fully understand how a inverter works ... but if my assumptions are anywhere close to being accurate, I just want it for when the two burner propane stove is maxed out on usage space ... and when I don't want to get out and start the generator but need more heating/cooking options. To just flip a switch and burn some toast, etc, etc would be much nicer than the pita of a generator.

My original purpose of this thread was to just have a 110v outlet in said cabinet.

Edited by Bombsight, 15 August 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#26 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

I would think that in a colder clime where propane has to be refilled but batteries (with solar) do not it would allow for longer boondocking?

In a perfect world, but in reality solar isn't absolutely reliable. Weather, shade, time of year, and other factors conspire keep solar from operating at optimal efficiency. With shorter days and low angle of the sun -solar charging is limited in the winter. That aside, water is probably the most limiting factor to boondocking.

Lee

#27 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

My experience is that the propane stove uses next to no propane relative to the furnace.   You could cook dozens of meals off one 10lb bottle or propane, whereas the same bottle can only heats the camper for a handful of nights.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#28 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

I don't fully understand how a inverter works ... but if my assumptions are anywhere close to being accurate, I just want it for when the two burner propane stove is maxed out on usage space ... and when I don't want to get out and start the generator but need more heating/cooking options. To just flip a switch and burn some toast, etc, etc would be much nicer than the pita of a generator.

In this case, a much simpler solution would be another gas burner, either a backpacking stove or one of the butane food service burners either of which can be had for ~$30.   You can also pull the burner/stove out of the camper and cook outside, which is what we do most of the time. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#29 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Bombsight

Don't take this wrong, but you may have the wrong camper. You seem to be trying to cram too much into a very small unit. The more devices you ad merely makes things more complex and troublesome, hindering your enjoyment of the experience. It is a camper not an RV. KISSS

Just the ramblings of an old dude
Lee

#30 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

Point taken, Power Wagon ... my thinking is, just because its there, that doesn't mean I have to use it or it's in the way. I wont install it if it hinders anything else.

Through this conversation alone, I found better solutions coupled with what some of you guys woke me up to.

Such as these items:

Attached Thumbnails

• plug.jpg
  • 110.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users