40 replies to this topic

#31 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Top outlet is the stock FWC outlet. Only has power if you're plugged into shore power. Lower one runs from the inverter. The switch to the left turns the inverter on and off. Notice both have GFI. Not much gets plugged into the inverter outlet, mostly the coffee grinder and some chargers. The microwave is permanently wired into the inverter.

IMG_20170815_154531393_TOP%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

If you already have propane, I am not sure I understand the advantages of an induction cook top.   What am I missing?

I don't currently have a cooktop in the camper.  We cook outside on a super lightweight backpacking stove.  Boiling water inside without a flame appeals to the MOST significant other.

#33 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

I generally figure inverter efficiency at about 70% Some may be better, some are probably worse. That number isn't rooted in anything scientific that I can point to, it's just my RoT & seems to be Conservative enough.

I just re-wired the camper replacing everything Phoenix did. It's a wonder it didn't catch fire. Just another snowball in the scheme of life. Did away with the beyond useless and battery damaging ~20 lbs of Elixir Converter and replace it with a simple panel holding one Blue Sea 120VAC breaker and a Blue Sea 12VDC 6 circuit fuse block. When the heater had its weird episode (started to run with the t-stat disconnected!) and pulling ALL of the fuses didn't kill it I knew there were problems beyond just the heater's control board.

In that process I added an outlet for the rarely used battery charger. I connected it to the breaker, Neutral buss, and Ground buss (both buss' stolen from the converter & added to the rear of my panel). No idea how FWC cabinets are laid out, but it was easy to route the marine Romex thru our Phoenix's cabinets. The box, outlet, and cover plate came from Lowes.

Edited by ntsqd, 16 August 2017 - 01:51 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#34 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

I found this thread looking for info on inverters.

I have a new fleet coming next month, and I would like to be able to use a small 800w coffee maker without using my generator (shore power) .

so I am trying to learn about inverters, and also looking for which ones to get, or avoid.

Edited by MattC, 22 October 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#35 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

looking forward to what you find out!

#36 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:23 AM

I have had good luck with my Victron Phoenix inverter the few times I have used it.   The one I have (375W) is too small for that you need, but they make larger versions.   Although, if you really just want to run your coffee pot, you don't need a true sine inverter, you could get away with a much cheaper modified sine wave inverter, or do away with the inverter all together and use a 12V coffee maker: http://www.roadtruck...ffee-makers.htm

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#37 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:18 AM

I have had good luck with my Victron Phoenix inverter the few times I have used it.   The one I have (375W) is too small for that you need, but they make larger versions.  

I had the same model inverter Rando.  Mine arrived with the wire connector for the external switch broken off, and I fixed that myself rather than ship that heavy item back to the USA and pay customs again for the favor of getting it back after an RMA.  

Then it died completely for some other reason.  I was not happy with this particular piece of their otherwise stellar gear.

#38 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

That is no good.   I have only used mine a dozen or so times to charge my laptop, and it has been fine.   Hopefully it continues to work as it is buried under a cabinet and would be a pain to replace.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#39 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

I can chime in here with my two cents, are i am currently planning my FWC build.

Here is the current inverter setup i have run in 3 trucks now with not a single issues and hundreds of uses.

Can be done 2 ways, but both require a second battery:

-Isolator switch, many brands, i use "Perfect Switch" made right here in San Diego

-Isolator connects to alternator on one end and the main and aux batteries on the other end

-Isolator charges whichever battery needs more juice while youre driving

-Isolator prevents load to aux from draining main, ie, if youre running a fridge for a week in the desert and it drains the aux battery, the main isnt effected, and potentially leaving you stranded

-Inverter, many options here. I run the Xantrex 2000 Watt SINE inverter.  This will (and has) power a decent microwave, hair dryer, etc..

-SINE inverters are generally more expensive, but have special circuitry in them to prevent damage to electronics, cheap ones can damage sensitive electronics.  You'll need to google "SINE vs NON Sine Inverters" for a better explanation, i am not an electrical engineer.

Now....  SOLAR...

My current truck is the first truck i have installed Solar On.  I am running (2) 100 WATT renogy panels right to the aux battery.

My truck isn't my daily driver and only gets driven when i am out exploring, at least 2x a month.  It sometimes sits for weeks at a time without being started.

With that being said, i haven't shut my fridge off in over a year, and the solar provides more than enough juice to keep the big Aux bat fully charged.

Sooooo...  Looking back at the build,,,  I may have not even needed the isolator whatsover, the solar has run flawless for 2 years now.  The entire aux system could be wired to solar only and be its own entity.

Thats my .02

Happy to help with this, i have no life other than my truck and camping!  hahahaha

Kevin

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#40 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

Now....  SOLAR...

My current truck is the first truck i have installed Solar On.  I am running (2) 100 WATT renogy panels right to the aux battery.

Hope the panels have built in charge controller or there is a charge controller in system between panels and battery. Eventually, uncontrolled solar panels will harm your battery, perhaps, sooner than later.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users