17 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

I purchased a fridge fan from FWC and they mounted it on the aluminum brackets.  I also purchased the switch.  We have a 2014 Grandby, front dinette, with 80L Dometic compressor fridge.  To mount the bracket I need to use a right angle drill.  The space between the backside of the aluminum camper frame and the rear of the fridge is 3"=/-.  I don't want to get into moving the fridge out for more space.

I looked at the Dewalt Dwara 100 right angle drill, but one of the measurements is 4.9".  I don't want to place an order and then have to return it.

Hoping someone on this forum can give me the type and size right angle drill that will work, or another tool that can get the job done.

Thanks,  jd

Edited by longhorn1, 14 August 2017 - 05:46 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

I have the Dewalt DWARA50 right angle drill adapter - I would guess it is only 1.5" or so wide,  so it would likely fit with a very stubby drill bit.    You could also just use VHB tape to mount it - no drilling required and provides some vibration isolation. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Here's a photo from my gallery showing how I mounted the fridge fans.  Instead of drilling into the inside edge of the frame around the upper vent opening, I drilled into the upper side and lower side (respectively) of the frame around the upper vent, and attached aluminum angle there, and then could directly attach the fans to the angle.

http://www.wanderthe...fans-installed/

I have some cheapo angle drill attachment (Harbor Freight quality) that I used to do this.  I may have started the drilling with a short-length bit to get the location exact and create a pilot hole, then just used self-tapping screws in a short bit holder to drive in the actual fasteners, as this would really reduce the length of the angle drill plus 'stuff' that needed to fit into the space.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#4 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

Longhorn, is this something they made custom for you or something they offer? I NEED to do this for the summers here.... but been procrastinating :(

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

My fridge alrady had one fan (2014 Eagle w/Dometic 65) and I mounted a second fan uning a 12v computer fan I bought from Amazon. I just attached my second fan with zip ties to the cage around the compressor. Seems to have helped some but not a magic bullet.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:58 AM

I started to use mine this year a lot. On a 90+ day I can turn the fan on and keep it in the 42 to 43 degree range with the door being opened once and a while. I yell keep it quick!!  ;) 

Anyway I run the fan from noon on. I usually plug in the generator when I go in to eat. I leave in on and charge the battery. Then the next day start  the fan again about noon.  At night the temp in the fridge is in the 38 to 39 range.

I am also in the shade doing this way.  

#7 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

can anyone put a photo showing where to connect the fan wiring. thanks

Edited by pollux, 17 August 2017 - 06:52 AM.

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

My 2014 Hawk is a front dinette. Location may change for other models or years. However, these photos may help.

Rear of entry lightswitch panel with empty refer fan spot now containing switch. Refer wires are the two blue wires pointing up. They were in coiled wire bundle behind & below blue wires.
gallery_5568_852_304794.jpeg

Back of fridge context photo with other end of two wires.
gallery_5568_852_114772.jpeg

Close up of two blue wires behind fridge with wire tie mount. The connectors are butt splice crimp type.
gallery_5568_852_81582.jpeg

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I asked FWC about buying a switch and/or fan from them, and about the wiring on my 2016 Grandby with a 85L Isotherm.  This was their reply:

"The Isotherm series refers have a built in fan at the compressor, atop the refer, If you wish to add a secondary, the refer fan and switch is $95.00. The wiring is already pre-ran to the rear of the refer, from the switch location, pinned to the wall(blue and black wires). You can call the number below to order.

Aaron Geiger

Service Advisor/Parts Department

Svc2@fourwh.com

530-419-2426

800-242-1442"

I would probably buy my own fan and just buy the switch from FWC.  My question, however, is whether adding another fan to the refer compartment would help all that much, given that the Isotherm already comes with its own fan.  I do camp in some hot weather sometimes.  I am just wondering if adding a fan would help the Isotherm all that much?  Any feedback on this question??

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

Here is the switch for MUCH less than FWC:

https://www.amazon.c...2977637&sr=1-18

I am not sure the fan will make much difference on the already very efficient compressor fridges (2-way).   Most people seem to install them to give their absorption fridges (3-way) a boost.   They have to dump a lot more heat that the compressor fridges and can oly drive a certain temperature differential.   On the compressor fridge, it would probably only make sense to have the fan run when the compressor runs (which is normally less than 50% of the time), otherwise you are wasting a lot of energy.  But if you do install one on your isotherm, report back on if it helps with energy consumption. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users