4 replies to this topic

#1 catdoc2

catdoc2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hello all,

We've recently become the proud owners of a new Hallmark Ute/Guanella hybrid.  Love it. However, what we don't love are the LED lights in the bed area: they are WAY too bright by which to read.  They are the same as the rest of the ceiling lights and therefore feel like you're looking directly into the sun :-).  

We talked to them about swapping them out for the same model of 3 level dimmable lights that are mounted under the cabinets but the price is prohibitive for us at this time (>$500).  

So my question to you all: surely someone else has had this issue?  Can't believe it hasn't come up before.  How have you dealt with it?  We can of course go back to using dimmable head lamps but it seems as if we should be able to use our snazzy new camper lights!

Thanks for any and all thoughts,

JV

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Our FWC Hawk overhead lights are too bright for the person near the rear of the bed and not positioned correctly for the person nearest the front of the bed. Costco has a pair of clip-on LED lamps on a flexible shaft with a clamp that attaches to the front bifold panel or the pull out bed slide.
For less than $20, I can tolerate a workable solution that doesn't have a factory designer look to it. After all, I'm using it because it's dark and don't see it when it's needed. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

Let's see... thinking cap firmly on head... and, I am outside the box!

Layers of masking tape over the plastic lens.

Not permanent, easily removable (in the short run), put as much as you want to make it dimmer and diffused.

If you leave it on forever, it may get stuck on (if your LED's produce any heat), so, a new plastic lens may be required, eventually.

To avoid this from happening over the long run, place a piece of plastic sheeting, somewhat medium thickness (still flexible or easily cut-able to shape over the  curved plastic lens), secured around the edges of the plastic lens and then use the making tape on that.

You could just cover the plastic lens in the middle with tape and leave a slit towards the edges for some direct light off to the sides.

Or, tape a piece of aluminium foil in the center of the plastic lens, leaving a band open all the way around the sides of the plastic lens, to shine more out the sides and not much straight down. Seems that might just spread the light all over the place (to the sides) and make some nice effect.

That should be a lot less than $500.

OK, stream of consciousness composition OFF and the thinking cap is also OFF.

Oh, by the way, I also regret the position of my over the bed lights, they just don't sit in the right spot for reading while in bed. I think I'll try the aluminium foil on the next trip, unless you beat me to it with a report that it works or doesn't.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 14 August 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

+1 for tape.  I did that this last week.  I used that shiny aluminum duct tape since I had some around.  Just big enough chunk to cover the middle of the lens so I don't get direct light.  Still VERY bright from light shining around it.  Cheap and good!

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

If the housings have the room inside why not add a PWM to the wiring at each light? Something like these: https://www.amazon.c...01C4UBLZG?psc=1

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LED light, Hallmark, Ute, Guanella, bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users