10 replies to this topic

#1 halljf

halljf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLone Star State

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Can anyone provide details on visiting Monument Valley? We will be truck camping and are interested in details regarding campsite costs, guide costs, dry camping in the Valley, etc. Thanks much!!

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

There is no official camping inside Monument Valley.  Some people have made connections over the years with local residents who have arranged for them to stay in the valley but that isn't something that can be counted on.  There is a campground across the highway from the entrance, not sure what the current cost is.  

A couple places in the same are worth camping and free are Valley of the Gods and Muley Point Overlook.  Muley Point can get a tad windy and the drive between there and VotG via the Moki Dugway isscenic but requires your attention going in either direction.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

"Muley Point can get a tad windy" That's a tad of an understatement.  :D 

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

There is a campground up by the lodge that offers nice views of the Mittens but I'm not sure how much it costs. We stayed there some years ago when it was free but that was before they made improvements.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

I once looked at Goulding's campground. It is like an RV campground, spaces tight together, hook-ups, etc.

At the time I was there and wanting to stay a night The View Campground was closed for renovation.

My favorite is to go up the road to Valley of the Gods, free, dispersed camping with almost the same type of views.

From there you can go back the next day for the drive around Monument Valley or take a tour and let them do the driving around the valley.

#6 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

And, if you are heading southwest from Monument Valley thru Kayenta on Hwy 163, then turn west on Hwy 160 past Tsegi then turn right on Hwy 564 to Najavo National Monument for a great campground. Only about 50 miles from Monument Valley. Sunset View campground has a paved road through camp with toilets and Canyon View campground is a bit more primitive.

#7 halljf

halljf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLone Star State

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

Thanks much for this info!! Much appreciated.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

Thanks much for this info!! Much appreciated.

We stayed at NNM in 1981 and it was very enjoyable.

Quiet and the ruins are easy to view.

Don't know what it's like now but it's worth a try.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

I camped at Mitten View back in the 90s and although crowded it provided great access to MV. My favorite place to camp in the area is Goose Necks State Park near Mexican Hat,perched on top of a mesa overlooking the San Juan River. It's extremely windy late afternoon until late at night. It used to be a primitive cg with pit toilets near the entrance and no defined camp spots as you drove to the very end of the mesa. Great views and a great hike down to the river.

I've driven through MV on several trips and never get tired of it. On my wife's first trip there in 2000, we did the drive, plus we took a jeep tour which takes you off the main road where our guide drove us to pictoglyphs, sweat lodges,and some locals' homesteads. Well worth the tour!!

Have a great adventure!!

Attached Thumbnails

• goosenecks - 1 (2).jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

I camped at View Campground earlier this year. If I recall it was around $40, pretty steep but I really needed their shower. It does overlook the Mittens and most of the hoards of tourist are unloading/loading at the lodge. I was there just one night.

The following day (after driving Monument Valley loop) I drove to Valley of the Gods and absolutely love it there. Widely dispersed camping and stunning scenery. I'm going back there again for sure.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monument valley, guides, costs, dry camping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users