• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

To say the least, I'm unimpressed with FWC both in terms of product quality, company product research and customer service.

-FWC factory warranties are not transferable

2.1. Who May Use this Warranty?

This limited warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only. It does not extend to any subsequent owner or other transferee of the truck camper. 

-If you install your own camper you void all warranties

Can the customer do their own installation? 

At one point that was possible, but with the more complicated trucks now on the market it is no longer advisable to try to do your own install. The factory now expressly notes that a self-install will void all warranties.

-FWC propane tanks sold in Canada are not legal to be refilled in Canada.

Service:

I purchased a preowned 2013 FWC in Feb 2015 it was about 16 months old.  I had intended to purchase a brand new unit from the dealer in Canada.  I had an appointment set up to make the purchase.  The day before I was to leave for my appointment a very new pre-owned became available for sale en route, which I purchased.  The dealer refused to install it for me.  I assume he was bitter that he lost a sale, but stated it was because there could be issues.

Quality:

July 2016 I started this thread due to corrosion on the aluminum front of the camper.  I went ahead and dealt with the issue on my own by covering the corrosion with checker plate, which is outlined in the thread.  A year later, I am facing more corrosion.  It's obvious that the only solution is to replace the entire aluminum facing on the front of the camper.  I contacted FWC and stated I was the second owner.  This is the response I received.

"Unfortunately the warranty doesn’t extend beyond the original owner."

I was offered to have the repair labour done for $525 USD in California which is 1500 miles away from me.

Research:

Last summer I went to refill my propane cylinder as a Costco in Canada and the attendant informed me that he could not refill them because they do are not TC (Transport Canada) certified.  They are DOT certified.  I though the attendant did not know what they were talking about.  I contacted Transport Canada and gave them all the info on the tanks.  It is not legal to refill them in Canada.  In addition they can not be re-certified to be used in Canada.

I contacted FWC about this and this is the first they had heard of this issue.  Their solution was for me to wait 3-4 weeks for them to source TC certified tanks which I would then have to pay for shipping, if it was even possible to ship them to me.

To my knowledge FWC is still shipping DOT certified tanks to Canadian customers.

I'm sure FWC will see this post and as big of a fan as I am of the product, I feel that the business needs development, particularly for those outside of the US.  Driving to the factory isn't practical for many of us.

My goal is help those who plan on dropping $20K on a pre-owned unit.  You may want to think twice or at least know what you are getting yourself into.

Attached Thumbnails

• Corrosion 3.jpg
  • Corrosion 1 (2).jpg
  • gallery_5772_2_510950.jpg

Edited by Bill D, 21 August 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

That really sucks Bill. 

:(

Why does your camper have that kind of corrosion and (almost?) nobody else has that issue?  There is something very odd about that.

The propane tank issue is strange too.... is this part of the "Canadian" package that the dealer in BC charges for?

#3 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

I have a friend with an Eagle who has this same corrosion issue. Don't know what causes it.  Ron

#4 Bird Dog

Bird Dog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Interesting.

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Might be electrolysis, although I would think it would be showing in other areas too.

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Odd corrosion to be sure....but the rupturing from inside out is most puzzling unless the corrosive agent, salt? from roads?, was under the out side sheet...electrolysis takes two dissimilar materials and I believe they must be in physical contact with each other...

Again and in other issues; what is the prevalence of this breakdown of the front sheet on FWCs?  Look for what caused it.   Regardless it is a bummer!

Last note, the FWC warranty is a known.  So when we buy we understand it is a one-owner warranty.  Many products have one-owner warranties.   Once you bought the used FWC if the dealer had installed it for you in your truck the dealer could not warranty the installation; he is on the hook.  But I would expect a dealer to install a camper if requested by a customer...period.

Propane tank certifications in Canada or USA are a moving target that seem goofy.  Wonder when Canada stopped filling DOT tanks...for us traveling in Canada that would suck.

What did FWC say was the cause of the front sheet deterioration?

Good Luck...

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 21 August 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Wallowa, you bring up an interesting point about a U.S. based camper traveling through Canada and having to fill propane tank(s). When I retire, I plan on spending some of my summers in Canada and since I run my fridge on propane, so I will need to return to the U.S. every 2 weeks or so to refill my tank if the regs. are as stated..

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Wallowa, you bring up an interesting point about a U.S. based camper traveling through Canada and having to fill propane tank(s). When I retire, I plan on spending some of my summers in Canada and since I run my fridge on propane, so I will need to return to the U.S. every 2 weeks or so to refill my tank if the regs. are as stated..

I bought a "third' propane cylinder for our Hawk @ cost of about $90...so an option is to swap out cylinders when going into Canada...something doesn't seem right with Canada not filling DOT cylinders..will check into this..

Phil

Just saw this in quick propane cylinder search, the word "or" is interesting:  

"These cylinders are manufactured to Department of Transportation (DOT) or Transport Canada (TC) specifications in facilities that have a Quality Management System certified to ISO 9002 requirements."

Edited by Wallowa, 21 August 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Since so many Canadians spend their winters in the US camping I expect someone has found a way around the issue of propane tanks. I know that some tanks are marked DOT/TC and can be filled in both countries.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Since so many Canadians spend their winters in the US camping I expect someone has found a way around the issue of propane tanks. I know that some tanks are marked DOT/TC and can be filled in both countries.

Exactly.  Found this reference, cumbersome but does allow for dual stamp "DOT/TC".

Answer: In some cases, yes. However, in other cases, a cylinder from the U.S. cannot be filled in Canada.

The table below summarizes the types of cylinders that can be used in Canada.

Date the cylinder was originally manufactured Cylinder specification Before January 1, 1993

Cylinders manufactured before January 1, 1993 can be stamped with either of the following: TC, DOT, CRC, BTC, CTC, or ICC.

The following U.S. specification cylinders must have been in use in Canada before January 1, 1993 and must be re-qualified by a facility registered with Transport Canada prior to filling.

1. 49 CFR specification DOT-3B, DOT-3BN, DOT-3E, DOT-4AA480, DOT-4B, DOT-4B240ET, DOT-4BA, DOT-4BW, DOT-4D, DOT-4E, DOT-4L, DOT-8 or DOT-8AL; or
  2. 49 CFR specification DOT-39, if the cylinder has a service pressure less than or equal to 6.2 MPa (900 psig).

Reference:Paragraph 5.10(2)(B) or 5.10(2)© of the TDG Regulations.

After January 1, 1993

Must be stamped TC. Note: A cylinder may also be dual marked with TC/DOT

To learn more, please read the FAQ titled: "FAQ on Cylinders".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users