37 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

On the Manchester tank in my 09 ATC Bobcat,on one "handle it's stamped in #s and DOT.

On the other "handle" it's stamper in kilos and TC.

I have only filled once in Canada on our many trips ,in Whitehorse Yk and had no problems.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Oh well, it's not the end of the world.  It just money right  <_<

I'm just disappointed.  FWC had an opportunity to make things right and they made their choice.

If this is how they want represent/run their company, so be it.  I honestly believe it will cost them more in the long run.

The material cost in minimal.  It's just a lot of labor, which I'm prepared to do myself.  I have a buddy who is a welder that can roll the entire front in one piece of checker plate if I chose to go that route.

Vic, I have no idea what goes into a Canadian Modification package, but I know 100% for sure that my Hawk was purchased in Canada as I have the dealer invoice and Canadian Modification / Canada Propane is listed on the invoice as an option that took place.

I'm still getting my tanks refilled because they normally just look at the date and fill them.  I hate having to worry about it each time.  I usually fill them well ahead of any trip so I can deal with the issue if necessary and avoid ruining a trip.  I'll buck up and spend $200 and buy new ones some day.  Maybe when they expire  :P

Anyhow, thanks for the support.  Yah, it does suck, but I'll deal with it.  If I wasn't mechanically inclined, I'd be bummed out.  I'm more disappointed in FWC, than I am with the camper. I would have loved to have been one of the forum members who was able to share a surprise and delight experience.  They seem to be a thing of the past.

#13 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

They should fix the corrosion problem warranty or not, because it's the right thing to do. After all it is their fault and problem.  Ron

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

Bill..have you figured out why your metal failed?  Lots of FWC campers out there without this problem and the fickle finger picked yours, why?  If no other reason finding the underlying cause might help you prevent a progression of this issue on your camper..

Take care and get those fires put out!

Phil

#15 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

Bill..have you figured out why your metal failed?  Lots of FWC campers out there without this problem and the fickle finger picked yours, why?  If no other reason finding the underlying cause might help you prevent a progression of this issue on your camper..

Take care and get those fires put out!

Phil

I have no idea what the issue is.  My camper doesn't leak to my knowledge.

It's strange to watch it grow.  It will start with a bump forming from the underside of the metal.  There is no sign of a rock chip or ding in the area.  It will grow like a pimple and then slowly spread outwards and eventually break through the paint.  The aluminum then just crumbles away like dust.

I live in a relatively dry climate.  We get rain, but we have a notably dry climate.  Most people who move here need to used skin cream, chapstick etc.  I visit the West Coast once a year for a week.  Most of the time I camp in the Rocky Mountains.  I keep the camper clean, salt and bug free.  The original owner barely used it and it was used around Salmon Arm British Columbia to go to the lake.

Ron, I agree with you.  That's why I gave FWC the opportunity.

Edited by Bill D, 22 August 2017 - 02:22 AM.

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:37 AM

Bill,

Truly sorry this unexplained loss of the aluminum has hit you...

Has anyone heard from or asked Stan for an explanation of why the aluminum is crumbling?  Usual Stan is forthcoming and can bring his experience to this type of FWC discussion.

Phil 

#17 Bluedog

Bluedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:38 AM

Sorry to hear of your troubles with such a new camper.

Have you looked on the inside of the camper where the corrosion is? Behind the light.

Can you pull back the thin strip of carpeting and get a picture?

I am wondering if it was a defective piece of aluminum during the painting process at manufacture?

Or the lights wiring allowed a leak?

Or maybe the light is grounding on the metal somehow?

I hope you find an answer soon.

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

The corrosion is electrolysis. You've got an electrical issue somewhere. My 1st check would be to remove the forward lifting board. Underneath is the box where the solar roof stuff goes through. Inside this is a little ground bar plate. Mine was loose. This could be the problem.

Check for loose grounds, nicked wires such as behind the front lift panel, Possible electrical component leaking to ground.

Usually electrolysis is caused by bad grounds. The electricity will try to find another path such as through the sheet metal.

Common example is in cars where the engine has a bad ground. The electricity will use the water jacket and radiator for a ground path. Turns the fins on the radiator to dust eventually.

It can also be caused by potential between the camper electrical system and the vehicle system.

No fun to chase this. it's going to take time and a VOM. I'd pull every light on the camper and check for corroded grounds and light sockets.

Disconnect batteries and pull fuses. Then check every circuit to ground with an Ohm meter. High resistance is what you are looking for.

Might be worth finding an Automotive Electrical place and show them whats happening.

Edited by Squatch, 22 August 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

Wonderful, not only do I have a corrosion issue, I have an electrical issue.  It just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the advice Squatch.

I wonder why FWC would say they've never seen anything like it.  It doesn't sound like I'm the only person who has every had this issue.  It would have been nice to have discovered the source of the problem a year ago when I did the initial repair.

#20 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

I doubt it's common on these campers. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it before.

When I saw the pic of the aluminum on your camper just dissolving I was convinced. Electrolysis is the only thing I know that would do that other than exposure to an acid or such.

The good news is. Once you find and fix the cause the problem stops instantly. Electricity is actually carrying away bits of the aluminum atoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users