3 replies to this topic

#1 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Looks like I can get away this weekend, but didn't make plans so of course everything is booked. If I can get there before noon on Friday, where should I go to try to find a first come, first served campsite? Seems like those are getting fewer and farther between these days. All the phone numbers I can find for the campgrounds and ranger stations are disconnected also. I hate those three note tones. Any good dispersed camping ideas? Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Not northern Tahoe but a possible suggestion for an unreserved mountain getaway. We spent last weekend at Trumbull Lake Campground at Virginia Lakes off of 395. Half the campground is reservations and half first come/first served. We were shocked to see campsites still available on Saturday night. We arrived around 6pm on Friday and found a good selection available (34 and 37 are good ones). Within walking distance are Little Virginia and Virginia Lakes, watch for bald eagles and osprey. Red Lake is very close and most visitors do not know it is even there. The Hoover Wilderness trailhead offers access to upper basin lakes. Blue Lake is very close to Virginia Lake and before the climb to Cooney and the Frog lakes.

We stayed in the campground because it is close to the trailhead and allowed us to remain set up without moving the truck.

Have a great weekend whatever you decide.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 ACEBLACKDOG

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

leavitt lake on the east side of sonora pass on hwy 108 is close to you ....

i have no idea what the road in is like this year...

good luck...

#4 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

I actually found reservations for Friday and Saturday night. Neither will be "scenic, quiet and calm", but I usually just pull in at 8:00 or so, pop up, go to sleep, get up, pop down, hit the road, do something away from people anyway. But thanks for the suggestions. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users