12 replies to this topic

#1 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:19 AM

Hi
This might have been mentioned in other threads concerning lack of propane flow. I don't know.
I installed a water heater in our camper. No problems, things went smoothly. Test fired no problems, good to go right. Nope drove from Vegas to Provo area, now the water heater only lights then goes out. Stove lights then flame dwindles to hardly lit, and the furnace lights, and goes off as fast as it lit. So I tried a different propane bottle same result. So I started thinking the propane regulator is sticking. Stearing at the regulator and wondering what was happening inside, I see the manufacturer name. So I called and ask for tech support. Spoke to Rick and told him what I was experiencing. Do you know there is a flow check valve in the end of the hose which attaches to the bottle. Sure you do, did you know that if you don't open the valve slowly the check valve stops flowing and the small bypass allows a little propane into the lines, but there is not the volume needed to operate the appliance. So if you experience propane woes make sure the stove and all appliances are off, crack the hose at the bottle then retighten and bearly crack the valve. Wait a few seconds then open the valve.
If everything starts to works, good for you, if not might have another issue.

I know it's not a exciting story, but it happened to me and at least I was able to, with reasonable ease overcome this. Without buying needless parts, trying to fix something which was not broken. If this info was in the owners manual, which I did not read very well. I must say I probably would not have typed this post.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,317 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:25 AM

We learned this by experience just like you did. The rule - open the propane valve slowly.

Thanks for the reminder for all of us. Good explanation of the check valve.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:52 AM

Russ, thanks for passing along this little gem!

I am haunted by waters

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

Interesting. I would not have thought there could be a problem like this. Years ago (many years ago), when I took welding classes, the instructor insisted on just cracking open the valves on welding tanks because the sudden pressure with a lot of volume could cause problems with the regulators and you would be in a position to turn off the valve quickly if there were a problem. I got so accustomed to this procedure that I have always done that with any tank of compressed gas, including propane.

I don't think I would easily deduce the problem and solution from the symptoms. It does make sense though,

Thanks for posting.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

Never heard of this issue, but nice to now that it clearly does exist. I think there is a mention of this in the FWC owners manual, and I remember reading it and wondering if it was really an issue.

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Every day....something new

Thanks for this little jewel....I weld so I take care when I open the valves anyway but with a propane upgrade in my future....

a very goo thing to know!

I'll bet it's even in the newer manuals...and we all read those...don't we :D

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

I learned this by chance, when hooking my Coleman stove up to the 10# bottle.  I have to crack the valve slowly.

I had a similar situation happen with the Hawk.  Both of the 10# tanks had just been filled and only one would work with the camper.  I burnt a bit of pressure off of one of the tanks (with the Coleman stove) and problem solved.

On a similar note, my the filter on my Buddy heater has a safety feature which prevents propane from flowing if the heater gets knocked over.  Something to consider if you have been 4X4ing perhaps you could trip a safety valve as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience CougarCouple.  It comes in handy when you ready something like this in a thread before a real life situation happens to you.

Edited by Bill D, 27 August 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#8 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

This has happened to me a couple of times. I am told it occurs when the propane bottle is over filled.

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Have not had this problem with the camper as I always open the valve slowly.

But at home I have a Webber "Q" gas grill and it has happened almost since new (about6 years).

It was very frustrating at first so I searched the Webber site and they gave the procedure of how to 

use the grill so that you get the proper flow.

On the grill it would have a flame but very low and thinks would take forever to cook.

Big bummer.

So now open slowly at tank and also at the grill/stove.Works no more problems.

Thanks for posting that info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

I've heard of this before but its a good one to bring up from time to time. You're not supposed to be able to overfill a modern tank with the OPD (overflow prevention device) but I'm sure there are ways around it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users