49 replies to this topic

#11 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

We use a Themacell Backpacker mosquito repeller that works pretty well and if flies are bad either a fly strip or trap. Everytime I go into a screen house I think of something that I need that's outside the screen house. ;-)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, takesiteasy, you make a good point.

For the trip I'm considering, I'll be tent-camping out of my car (when not in lodgings), and so I will be cooking outside.  So...now that I think of it, maybe I should have something bigger than just for hanging out.

What brand/model do you have?

We made our own, sorta. You can read about it here: http://travelswithro...new-awning.html

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

For super simple you might try a skeeter net. Like in the safari movies.

A couple of years back we had an Asian Stink bug epidemic here in the east. Hundreds of them got into houses. We bought a couple of very large skeeter nets to hang over the beds to keep them off of us when we were asleep. There is almost nothing to them and one made for a 4 poster bed might work well. 

http://www.mosquiton...ASAAEgJQpfD_BwE

I also saw this.  http://www.plowheart...BSABEgJgyfD_BwE

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

This has been a good discussion for me.  It got me to see that I probably want something big enough to cook and eat in and not just for sitting in -- something big enough to put over a campground picnic table, or my own portable table.  And then that made me realize that I'd want one without a floor, so the screen can be erected/placed over an existing table.

Good stuff -- more ideas/input welcome.

Thanks. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:49 PM

I like the 6' x 6' size, not too small not too large.   Ron

#16 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

We use a Coleman 15'X13' Screen Tent. The unit does not have a floor and fits easily over a large campground picnic table.

51xd-ItQ6sL.jpg

Weighs about 18lbs, piece of cake to set up and take down and its less than $100.00 at Walmart On-line. It works for us and we leave it in the camper full time just in case.

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 02 September 2017 - 09:54 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

Maybe I'm gonna need two sizes:

a bird cage:

bugpodtm-insect-bug-mosquito-sport-pod-pop-up-screen-chair-tent-82b.jpg

AND a tiger cage:

Coleman-screen.jpeg

I may have to buy the tiny one just because of how funny it looks -- and the reaction it would get if I was sitting in it camped in bayou country among the Cajuns...

;)

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Two years later and I hadn't got any screen house/shelter -- until last week!

42b6fe04-2831-4553-9679-e29a0250bf13.jpg   5b4780ad-5eeb-428c-9da4-b7814e809c5f.jpg

Turns out that the one I ended up with, the Quick-Set "Traveler" by Clam, is the one that Captm recommended... though I'd forgotten about this thread and "discovered it" on my own.

Took me a while to get to this point, and a couple of days before I ordered this Clam shelter I'd already ordered a larger one.  But then I discovered the Clam, and decided its smaller footprint -- though almost the same usable standing space -- made more sense for me and my purpose.  And reviews are great.

My very first time setting it up I did it -- from storage bag to as-shown -- in one minute.

And I found a local friend who wanted the larger one and bought it from me for full price, so I didn't have to return it.

#19 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

Two years later and I hadn't got any screen house/shelter -- until last week!

attachicon.gif42b6fe04-2831-4553-9679-e29a0250bf13.jpg  attachicon.gif5b4780ad-5eeb-428c-9da4-b7814e809c5f.jpg

Turns out that the one I ended up with, the Quick-Set "Traveler" by Clam, is the one that Captm recommended... though I'd forgotten about this thread and "discovered it" on my own.

Took me a while to get to this point, and a couple of days before I ordered this Clam shelter I'd already ordered a larger one.  But then I discovered the Clam, and decided its smaller footprint -- though almost the same usable standing space -- made more sense for me and my purpose.  And reviews are great.

My very first time setting it up I did it -- from storage bag to as-shown -- in one minute.

And I found a local friend who wanted the larger one and bought it from me for full price, so I didn't have to return it.

Purchased this for MN. fishing trips. It’s the state bird!

#20 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Purchased this for MN. fishing trips. It’s the state bird!

Speaking of Minnesota, we would have been miserable this past week without our new Clam screen house due to the mosquitos. Sounds like an ad for the Clam but we really like it. Easy to put up and take down.

We have the larger version which covers the large picnic tables found in the USFS campsites around here. The downside is it is a very large package when packed up. But we have lately been using our trailer to carry our gear so it is not an issue.

IMG_6491.JPG

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users