49 replies to this topic

#21 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

Takesiteasy,
How bad were the bugs compared to last year? I read about all the snow and rain there this year. Exactly one year ago I was in Northern MN and UP Michigan and there were biters, but not real bad. I like to go there when it gets smokey in the West and so far it has not.

#22 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Just saw a TV ad for the Clam. Don't remember whether it was YouTube or broadcast. Could have used this several years ago outside of Frenchglen OR in late June.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

love our 12’ Clam! our camping buddies all have “clam envy”. comes in handy for bugs, rain and cold.

#24 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Takesiteasy,
How bad were the bugs compared to last year? I read about all the snow and rain there this year. Exactly one year ago I was in Northern MN and UP Michigan and there were biters, but not real bad. I like to go there when it gets smokey in the West and so far it has not.

This year it depends quite a bit on the location. Some areas have had a lot of rain and that means more mosquitos. They were very bad at one camp off the Gunflint Trail this past week. The Clam was a lifesaver. A couple of weeks ago we were able to sit out for a campfire with no bugs over by Grand Rapids. Also depends on the temperature. If it's cold at night, the little buggers stay close to the ground and aren't a problem.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#25 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

Just saw a TV ad for the Clam. Don't remember whether it was YouTube or broadcast....

Speaking of YouTube, before I bought the Clam Quick-Set "Traveler", I found reviews and a demo by some "colorful characters", which convinced me to make the purchase:

This guy -- "Cosmo" -- is pretty funny... very opinionated and not correct about some things he says, but his opinions seem to be based on experience.  Hilarious what he says about the Coleman screen shelter at about 4 minutes in. :D

This couple is as entertaining as Cosmo above -- and more informative -- but in a different way. :D

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#26 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

And here's a more conventional setup video of the Clam Traveler, from the manufacturer:

I bought the wind-panel (3 of them) option that's mentioned in this video, and shown in a previous video.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#27 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

-snip-

I bought the wind-panel (3 of them) option that's mentioned in this video, and shown in a previous video.

I have those panels for my Clam Traveler.  Just for info:   I am able to put mine back in the carry bag with the panels still attached.  I can't quite get the zipper closed the whole way but it closes enough for storage (about half way). 

On a trip last Fall we had quite a bit of rain and often put it away wet in the morning and then tried to get it dried out that evening.  But sometimes it was wet for several days. We also sometimes took it down just before going to bed if it had dried out through the evening but we were expecting rain overnight. 

And of course be sure to dry it thoroughly and remove the panels for longer term storage.

It is a bit more difficult to put up with the panels already attached as the center pull-strap on each of the side panels can fall behind the wind panel and they're a bit of a pain to retrieve.  We were putting it up and taking it down daily so just left the panels on.

We also used it quite a bit in colder weather as it gets you out of the wind.   A string of LED lights with it's own battery pack can be strung through the the roof supports and lights it up nicely.  We also used my Portable Buddy heater in it sometimes but when temps went below 40 it wasn't really keeping up and we wouldn't be there long before retreating to the camper.

Edited by Old Crow, 17 August 2019 - 10:52 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:32 AM

we used our Little Red campfire inside on very low heat, and it make the space super toasty very quickly with the walls up.  

#29 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

we used our Little Red campfire inside on very low heat, and it make the space super toasty very quickly with the walls up.  

Vic, do you have just the 3 wind panels or do you have more? I have been considering buying another set of wind panels to fully enclose the Clam but would need to modify one for the door.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#30 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

Vic, do you have any concerns about catching the tent on fire with the LRC running inside it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users