Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hello all,

Long time lurker and first post. I have found so much valuable information here, thanks to everyone for educating a newbie. After months of looking finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a used camper. Taking advice from the forum, money in hand and ready to travel at a moments notice. 

I am looking for a FWC to ATC (yeah I know used ATC are rare) for my Toyota Tundra DC. Question I have (sorry if this has been covered I could not find it) should I prepare my truck for turnbuckles with eye bolts ahead of time of wait till after purchase?

Not sure if the layout for a FWC or ATC would be the same as far as eye bolts go and not sure exactly where I would put them without seeing it first. If I wait to purchase before putting them in how do I attach when picking up from a seller?

I am fortunate that I only live 1.5 hours from ATC and FWC in California but still trying to understand the best way to be prepared for a pick up from someone should I find the camper I want. 

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable info I have gained from following WTW. I already can't wait to start some projects with a new (used) camper

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Choosing the method of securing the camper to the truck bed is the first order of business. If you have scrolled though any post about that regarding a Tundra and your camper of choice then you know the opinions on a frame bracket like Torklift sells vs. some turnbuckles attached to corner brackets up from and either the truck sheet metal or the bumper ends at the rear. 

Having said that you are buying USED which means you inherit the system the PO used and it would be wise to find out where/how the PO mounted eyebolts to the camper before ASSUMING any additional holes you drill in your truck will be in a place where they provide maximum/safe tie-down.

Pending on how far away from home you have to go to pick up your new-to-you camper, you might be able to mount it in the truck bed and secure it temporarily for the ride home with ratchet straps...not those cheeseball 1" wide ones from China you can virtually bend the mechanism apart with any real tension applied, but the kind truckers might use....3" wide and a mechanism that weighs 5 lbs or more and will actually keep it from moving out the back of the truck with or without the tailgate mounted.

This method may be frowned upon by some including the police so a stealth movement after sundown may be a good idea! As long as you have taillights visible on the truck for that trip you should be OK. Once at your place, you can check out the eyebolts and any strengthening brackets the PO installed inside as are suggested on WTW and seal them and then mount your turnbuckles where they should be. You might find the perfect camper someone used on some different truck with slightly different eyebolt mountings and have to adapt or otherwise deal with that before mounting to your truck anyway.

Perhaps a scouting mission by car and some deposit money before rolling up with the truck and planning to load the camper sight unseen would be a good plan depending on how far from home you would have to go. My car gets 22-27 MPG and the F-250 gets about 9-10 MPG so right there, I'm planning on a recon with the car if the photos are not clear enough to see and if I can't tell about any damage to the unit using the sellers' pics.

Good Luck in the search.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

If you find a camper within three or four hours of Sacramento, negotiate with the seller to meet you at the FWC or ATC factory and pay a few bucks to have the appropriate factory transfer the camper from the previous owner's truck to your truck.  That would be a simple and safe solution.  Good luck in your camper hunt.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

While meeting the seller at one of the factories is a good idea, it may not be do-able from the seller you end up dealing with.

To eliminate the cooperation of the seller in this equation I would say...

The absolute best way to be prepared for a pick up from someone should you find the camper you want is... to go by ATC and talk with Marty and/or Jeff about this issue. Take your truck with you.

As they both worked for FWC and own ATC they will know all about where to put the eye bolts in your truck for ANY model of FWC and ATC that will fit your truck, if in fact, there could be one location for the eye bolts that will work for those campers that will fit your truck. They should also be able to give you a selection of turn buckles in a couple of lengths to meet the requirements of attaching ANY FWC or ATC to your truck. 

If Marty and/or Jeff say that there is not one unique location for all the different models of FWC or ATC that will fit your truck, then they should be able to mark in your truck bed where to put the eye bolts for the couple of models that will fit your truck.

They will then sell you the eye bolts, turn buckles, etc., that you will need for doing the installation job when you pick up the FWC or ATC camper.

You basically just need a drill and a wrench or two to do the job when you pick up the camper. You might even call ahead and see when they might be doing an installation on a similar truck, like yours, and then arrange to be there at the ATC factory to watch them do it.

If you go by, which I highly recommend for all of this, then don't forget to bring some donuts and possibly a cash donation for the help they will provide you. They may give you a free ride on the transfer of knowledge about the location of the eye bolts, however, it's always nice to offer to pay for their wealth of experience.

This way you will be completely set up by; 1) either having ATC install the eye bolts (universal position for ALL campers that will fit your truck), or, 2) with the knowledge of where the eye bolts go for ANY camper that will fit your truck and be able to do the job yourself at the time of picking the FWC or ATC camper up. 

Then you'll feel confident and ready to... go and get the FWC or ATC camper that will fit your truck.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 04 September 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

Having eye bolts is best. BUT they are in different places. I had a used 2002 Hawk and found a used 2013 Hawk in Sister OR. Took the old camper off and drove up to get the 2013 Hawk.  Turn buckles would not reach on the 2013 Hawk. I had to go to Home Depot and buy some screw together links to mount the camper.  If close I would take a long flat strap to go over the camper of strap under the truck to the jack brackets.  

#6 Oakleyrossi

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone, kind of what I figured but did want to double check. I guess I will have to wait and see what I find and where and then make a quick decision based on what the PO has, location etc...

I am actually going to be in Sac late this week and I plan to stop by and chat with the guys at ATC. Still thinking maybe brand new. I will see what their advice is as well. 

Appreciate the help. Cant wait 

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

I picked up my 1st Hawk in Tucson and the PO had an early 2000's Tundra, same as mine at the time. I pulled the eye bolts off of his camper and installed them on my rig. I had brought a cordless drill and a few basic tools with me knowing I had to do this to make the 13 hour drive back home. Fortunately everything worked out perfect except it was around 110 degree's by 10:00 AM. I didn't know that FWC started using steel plates under the truck bed sometime after 2002 so the PO's rig didn't have them. I also pulled the wiring for charging the camper battery and installed it when I got back home. When I later sold the Hawk the buyer didn't come prepared to secure the camper to his rig so I helped him install the eye bolts. 

Bottom line is you can install the eye bolts ( if that's how you decide to do it ) when you pick up the camper if the seller doesn't mind you hanging around for the hour or so it'll take you to do it. Billharr is correct that you should bring some threaded chain links. I had to use them on my current setup. Good luck!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users