find anything.! Help...Ideas?

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

You might consider a flatbed with storage boxes between the cab and camper and under the flatbed. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

@richard check out WTW user Broverlanding_tacoma. Here are a few pics of his rig, exactly what you want to do.: http://www.wanderthe...hread/?p=179070

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

One issue with a flatbed is that the standard drop in camper will end up being quite high.   A flatbed has to be raised high enough that the bed clears the top of the wheels (think the height of the wheel wells in a regular bed), which will raise the whole camper by 4" or more.   I think a custom built 'service body' where the center part is still at the height of the original bed is a better option. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

One issue with a flatbed is that the standard drop in camper will end up being quite high.   A flatbed has to be raised high enough that the bed clears the top of the wheels (think the height of the wheel wells in a regular bed), which will raise the whole camper by 4" or more.   I think a custom built 'service body' where the center part is still at the height of the original bed is a better option. 

negative.  
With airbags you dont have the downtravel anyways.  

36295561144_c192222e30_b.jpgTacoma by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

no rubbing at 30psi

still under 8' clearance

36475946133_dbec07aca1_b.jpgUntitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

36475946073_205032c397_b.jpgUntitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Edited by broverlanding_tacoma, 22 September 2017 - 06:15 PM.

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

You either have to raise the bed or raise the suspension - otherwise the tire will hit the bottom of the flatbed.   I also have a flatbed on a 2016 Tacoma, which I ended up mounting ~4" above the bed mounts.   I have a slight lift, so I could maybe have reduced that to 3", but either way you need the clearance, which ends up with a taller camper.   It is not the down travel that matters it is the compression or up travel that matters and airbags make this situation slightly worse as you loose your bump stops, so there is nothing to limit the up travel. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

You could go the flatbed route then cut the flat bed and fab up a wheel well to keep it low. This would leave storage fore and aft of the wheel. 

But do you really want more storage space? It just means carrying more stuff which equals more weight.  A tacoma, gen 1 or 2 is already overweight with just the camper, some a little others a whole lot. ;)  Heck add bumpers, skid plates, sliders ,suspension,tires and rims, a winch, a few lights, driver,passenger a dog or kids, and now your overweight before loading up the camper :o

Cheers!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

My current model notches the flatbed and puts the fender wells in the camper.

i-qwgTDQ8-S.jpg

i-9KZRt36-S.jpg

Goal isn't more storage as it is more interior space, but I will in-fill the spaces under the bed with storage enclosures.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

Nice concept!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

broverlanding, wow that looks great.  If you built that yourself more props to you !

To the OP, we also did something similar under the wings in the sense that it is open space covered by a large panel vs individual storage boxes. I chose this design because of the flexibility for storage and it worked better for use as a camper-off flatbed (our wants).  Custom boxes can get expensive but might be worthwhile if the size was maxed and they extended down to bottom of the cab door level. Then they could also serve as a wheel cover/fender for debris. Also agree, if you search flatbed/deck or service body sites I think you will find lots of ideas.

Certainly I can relate to the desire for more storage but I will second the caution that it can lead to overloading - possible even with a one ton srw.

some pics of our set up and some of the extra junk we can carry above the deck height ...

z86ZRqg.jpg

OqLHu95.jpg

JpppWwD.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, utility bed, side tool box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users