Photo
- - - - -

Mounting solar panel to FWC/Thule rack, how to?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

This is a great thread!
If my flexible panels ever quit (knock on wood) this will give me several great ideas for attaching fixed panels.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#12 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

smlobx,

I am contemplating adding another 100 W panel.  

Since I want to keep the roof load down  (100 W rigid panels weight 20 - 30 pounds each) I will probably use a flexible panel and mount it to a thin aluminum panel then mount the whole thing the same way I mounted the rigid panels using the Aluminum rectangular crossbars mounted to the Yakima racks.  

The crossbars will make the flexible panel assembly stiff and durable as well as facilitate air flow around and under it.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#13 Joel H

Joel H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

If you are looking for a cheap way to do this, I purchased the mounting bolts that Zoie mentions and used them to bolt bars that electricians use to mount conduit, called strut channel. Then the solar bolted right on to that. It is low profile, has room for a bike rack and only cost bout $40 all said and done.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2589(1).jpg

#14 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

This is how I mounted to my Yakima racks 

I bought a renolgy 100w solar panel on Amazon which included a 400w controller for about $180.00.  I bought the Alum angle rod at home depot  and the Yakima hardware at https://www.etrailer...a/Y8890028.html

I used rivets to mount the panels to the angle rods.

Edited by BobM, 09 October 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#15 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

I like the way you have your 100W panels set up. Are they wired in parallel or in series? 

mm,

I have Yakima racks on my FWC.  I mounted two 100 W panels to the tracks on my roof.  

Edit to include image of Solar Panels on Camper roof:

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#16 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

MHJackson,

I connected them in parallel.  I used MC4 connectors and two into one "Y" adapters.  These adapters will support either parallel or series connection.  You need a pair for two panels.

Here is the write up on the install as well as lessons learned along the way.  

http://www.wanderthe...e-2?hl=ckent323

I have to add that after 11 months of use I am very satisfied with the Victron Solar Controller and the Victron Battery Monitor as well as the Victron application on my smart phone that I use to check on the Solar System performance and battery condition from the truck or whenever I am within about 30 feet of the camper when it is stored on its dolly on my driveway.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 16 July 2018 - 11:55 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#17 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Thanks! I have the Victron 701 and really like it. Thebluetooth dongle was also very handy.

MHJackson,

I connect them in parallel.  I used MC4 connectors and two into one "Y" adapters.  These adapters will support either parallel or series connection.  You need a pair for two panels.

Here is the write up on the install as well as lessons learned along the way.  

http://www.wanderthe...e-2?hl=ckent323

I have to add that after 11 months of use I am very satisfied with the Victron Solar Controller and the Victron Battery Monitor as well as the Victron application on my smart phone that I use to check on the Solar System performance and battery condition from the truck or whenever I am within about 30 feet of the camper when it is stored on its dolly on my driveway.

Regards,

Craig

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users