Photo
- - - - -

Spring loaded vs regular turnbuckles for bed mount?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lindy74

lindy74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:48 AM

I have read various pros and cons of each, and hoping to get some insight on which to go with for my popup truck camper. I'm at the stage where I need to get some tie downs and leaning towards regular turnbuckles since that's what FWC supplies their campers with. If I do go that route, I would most likely go with forged turnbuckles.

Thanks in advance!

#2 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

When I had a FWC I just used the standard ones. I bought it used and once I adjusted it once or twice they never loosened. Probably was a little conservative on the first tightening.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#3 Scott81621

Scott81621

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

Forged is the best way to go!

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Regular turnbuckles

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Haven't read all the threads. And wouldn't know what spring rate to use or if that type of hold down would be the same length as the oem type (I like the inboard location of the FWC set up).

I've stayed with regular turnbuckles with the addition of a rubber, fatigue type mat under the camper.

So far, so good.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Fastguns on mine.  Never loosen!

http://www.torklift....iginal-fastguns

#7 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

I've had several truck campers, pop up and hardside. I've used the spring loaded Fastguns which Vic mentioned. On my 79 FWC Grandby rebuild, I intend to use them also. Truck beds flex, I believe you need some wiggle room or somethings going to break on bend. 

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Exactly what I think happened to me... have had the Eagle with FWC tie downs for 6 years no problem until this year. Not the tie downs (I also put lock nuts on) ...never a problem with loosening up but under hellacious bad road conditions ...major bottoming out happened. Bam! I checked after 12,000 miles ...camper was solidly on in place...buckels tight... but.... on one rear eye ring attached to through bed, there was a bed metal bend... meaning what 'gave' was the bed with all the energy having to go somewhere..... and that begs the question: In extreme situations like that would the spring loaded absorb the stress and bring it all back into harmony. I am clueless on these spring buckles but if they only kicked in in the last resort situation I am all for it.  

Edited by buckland, 24 September 2017 - 08:53 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 lindy74

lindy74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I believe I'm going to go with the spring loaded happijac turnbuckle. the local RV shop happens to have 4 of them in stock and they aren't much more than online prices with shipping, plus I will have them tomorrow.

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

I used Happijac spring loaded up front and standard Happijac turnbuckles on the rear with an 88 F250 and an old 10' or 11' Lance. If you follow the instructions for installation they even kept that land-barge in place. They mount outside the bed so you can check them frequently. I found they did not loosen, but on washboard roads the eyebolts in the Lance had started to bend a bit. That allowed more movement and more damage but the nuts on the threaded shafts were still TIGHT which indicated they did not loosen!

The concept of a spring loaded turnbuckle is correct for a camper & truck bed that have some flex to them. I think using some wedges between camper and wheelwells is an excellent idea as you can stop sliding/twisting on the east-west axis that way.

Taking a walk-around each time you fuel or stop for eats should include checking on turnbuckles no matter what kind you use. Those in the bed of the truck may be a PITA to check, but it should be a regular part of your pre-departure checklist and at least something you check again prior to packing up for the return....

If yours do loosen up you will soon learn how long that takes and be prepared to retighten them accordingly until you find a better system than the one you have or a better way to tighten each turnbuckle up.

You only need to see ONE slide in camper that has slid out on the freeway to remind you that wind resistance, vibration and failure of the system to hold it secure can ruin your trip....

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users