RotoPax or AT ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

Wanting to get the Guys at ATC to add one of these on my Ocelot build. Any advantages to one over the other?? Thanks. 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

On Marty's recommendation, I went with Rotopax. I've got two three gallon packs, one on each side. The only down side to two is you need to bungee the door open when you want to use the screen door. It's not a real problem. You can also get one of the rotopax water containers as well.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

https://rotopax.com/...on-fuelpax.html

Looks like Rotopax has a sale on this 2 1/2 gal container. Comes with a free mount :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

If you go with Rotopax, make sure you get a locking mount. Gas cans have a habit of walking away from the folks that own them.

You can also get a stacking mount to have two cans on on onw, but I don't know how solid the mounting surface needs to be for that weight. It's a good question for Marty.

Jackie, thanks for the heads up on the sale...

I am haunted by waters

#5 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

I have two AT can holders on the back of my Panther. I use them for either gasoline or water depending on my needs. I like them because of the 5 gallon capacity. They also come in quite handy as temporary storage shelves, towel rack, etc..for miscellaneous items (such as adult beverages) when empty.

I suppose it's, six to one, half dozen to another.

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 26 September 2017 - 09:38 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Happy with my AT holder.  Someday might add a second to the other side but then have to bungee the door so until I feel like I really need it there's no reason to.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

I have two rotopax 3 gallon gas cans mounted under my flatbed, and I am not all the impressed with them.   They are not a very efficient way of storing fuel/water, a 5 gallon jerry can carry's more fuel per volume.   Secondly, if you fill the rotopax when it is cool, and snug down the mounts, if you go to use one when it is hot the rotopax will have expanded and can be impossible to remove from the mount without a tool - which you either have to carry or improvise.   Finally the locking mount they sell is junk.   I have had mine on my truck for less than a year and it is already corroded to the point that it barely works, even in relatively corrosion free colorado.   Unfortunately the rotopax are the only thing that fits in the space I have, otherwise I would change to a regular jerry can. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

:( why is there no RotPax for diesel on sale? I would like to add at least 5 gal... just in case.

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

I have a handyman/shovel combination on the right side but can get the four wheel adapter drilled for the holder on the left side.  Speaking about the AT gas can holders-I noted on their web site that they were out of the 5 gallon  gas cans because of the recent disasters until mid-November. Does any one know if any other military/carb compliant gas cans will fit in the AT holder?  Hate to buy a holder that I can not get any gas cans for it.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

I have a handyman/shovel combination on the right side but can get the four wheel adapter drilled for the holder on the left side.  Speaking about the AT gas can holders-I noted on their web site that they were out of the 5 gallon  gas cans because of the recent disasters until mid-November. Does any one know if any other military/carb compliant gas cans will fit in the AT holder?  Hate to buy a holder that I can not get any gas cans for it.

Smoke

I ordered this one from the good folks at Amazon at the time it was cheaper than what AT was selling them for.  

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users