• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

I've been contemplating this mod for some time.

One of the biggest users of stored energy in the batteries is running the fridge compressor after opening the factory-installed, side load fridge door.  Opening such a door allows the majority of cold air to tumble out onto the camper floor.  

As such, I want to install a top load fridge/freezer.  Space is tight and I haven't thought of a good scheme modifying the space where the factory fridge is located for a top load installation.

As anyone gone this route?

I've been doing a lot of head scratching trying to figure out how to install a National Luna 50L Weekender in the space without doing a complete remodel of that section in the camper.

Thanks for any ideas!

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#2 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

I really want to rebuild the passenger side of my fleet.  Shorten up the side cabinets to where the propane box is, and then that would give me enough space to put a 50L fridge on a slide in there.  but im far too lazy and i know it will look like crap compared to the rest of the cabinetry. 

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Here's a pic of the Truckfridge I installed in my Hawk. After pulling out the OEM 3 way, I made a pull out slider for it to sit on. I strap it down in the front just to keep it from jumping out on rough roads. A simple latch locks the slider in place. The fridge is wrapped in reflectix ( tips from WTW forums) to give a bit more insulation. I went on a couple of trips before adding the face frame and drawer to figure out what clearances I needed to access the top of the fridge. I left a lot of side clearance to allow for adequate ventilation. 

It's not as pretty as with the 3 way fridge but I really like the functionality, plus I gained a large drawer. The only negative I've found is that when off road dust comes in through the louvres of the outside access door. Maybe some of you out there have done this mod and came up with a solution to minimize the dust?? It's not a big problem, more of a nuisance. Suggestions welcome!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• fridge - 1.jpg

Edited by Ronin, 05 October 2017 - 04:08 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hi Ronin
I like your setup. We put our Engle in the same spot, never had a fridge. I notice the reflextix, could you spray glue some to the inside of the vents. Just a thought.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hi Ronin
I like your setup. We put our Engle in the same spot, never had a fridge. I notice the reflextix, could you spray glue some to the inside of the vents. Just a thought.
Russ

I'll look at it and give it some thought. I wanted to have as much air space as possible to keep the fridge running as cool as possible. The original 3 way was completely blocked off in the front so maybe I don't need as much air space as I think. I could probably block off the louvres in the cooler months. Wouldn't it be cool to have louvres that I could close - hmmm?? Thanks for the suggestion!

Incidentally, my original thought was to seal the front off as much as possible to minimize hearing the fridge at night that some folks found annoying. That hasn't been an issue for me with the Truckfridge and I'm a fairly light sleeper.

#6 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

IMG_2288.JPG

I did the same thing. Very efficient. Add some straps to secure it and you’re good to go.

#7 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

This is a topic of interest for me. I currently have the Dometic 80L, 2 way and seems to work well, except for the 5 amps it needs to keep it cool. Never heard of the National Luna and appears to be a good one. Those that have mounted theirs on a slider, can you suggest what you used for the slider hardware. I would imagine, it has to be robust enough to handle the weight of the frig + content.

Also, those that have made the conversion to this top load, did you find the smaller capacity equate to more efficient use of space, resulting in not having to have the equivalent volume capacity?

Thanks.

Edited by photohc, 05 October 2017 - 08:47 PM.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

Ronin, just a thought, maybe you could install a A/C filter where the louvers are to cut down on trail dust etc. from getting in and still have enough air flow to vent the fridge. Easy enough to try just duct tape in place.

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

Nice install Ronin!

Nice Rilcombs!

Thanks for sharing!

National Luna has the highest review comments from the folks at Overland Journal.

I think the louvers in the side of my Hawk can be sealed up if I replace the 2 way 110V fridge with a 12V National Luna.

The National Luna unit I have in mind.  They are from Australia.  Note that the ampereage draw is half of the Dometic.  And most importantly, you don't lose all of your cold air when you open the lid!  In reality, Dometic is an RV type fridge, the National Luna is for the Outback.

Edited by Advmoto18, 05 October 2017 - 10:05 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:21 AM

Ronin, just a thought, maybe you could install a A/C filter where the louvers are to cut down on trail dust etc. from getting in and still have enough air flow to vent the fridge. Easy enough to try just duct tape in place.

Great idea - thanks!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users