• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:47 AM

This is a topic of interest for me. I currently have the Dometic 80L, 2 way and seems to work well, except for the 5 amps it needs to keep it cool. Never heard of the National Luna and appears to be a good one. Those that have mounted theirs on a slider, can you suggest what you used for the slider hardware. I would imagine, it has to be robust enough to handle the weight of the frig + content.

Also, those that have made the conversion to this top load, did you find the smaller capacity equate to more efficient use of space, resulting in not having to have the equivalent volume capacity?

Thanks.

I used full extension ball bearing drawer sliders from Home Depot. I'll be on the road for 10 days so I'll try to remember to take some pics when I get back. Some top load fridge manufacturers have a slider made specifically for their unit, making it pretty simple to install. Truckfridge has one but it cost $199.00 so I spent about $20.00 for some hardware and just used scraps pieces of plywood and 1x's that always seem to be around my shop. My TF51 is plenty big enough for 4-5 days of food for me and the Mrs. We don't drink much so we only load a sixer and a couple of other beverages. Although the OEM 3 way was larger (60L ??) I never feel like I should have gone with a larger top loader.

http://www.homedepot...-ZP-W/202200646

Hey, found a pic that pretty much shows the drawer sliders.

Attached Thumbnails

• fridge1 - 1.jpg

Edited by Ronin, 06 October 2017 - 01:51 AM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Nice Ronin!

Whatever scheme I use, I hope I can access the top loading fridge with the camper roof down and secured.  It would be a major inconvenience if unable to do so.  But, the offset in stored energy saved will out weigh the inconvenience.

Edited by Advmoto18, 06 October 2017 - 09:35 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#13 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

I pulled my Dometic and replaced it with the ARB we used before we got the camper. I love it so much more than the Dometic and just sips the power. I ended up putting the counter on stay open hinges so when the top is popped its easy to access the fridge. This setup even allows for me to store our Snowpeak Fireplace/Grill next to the fridge. I could put it on slides but I am able to get in and out of the fridge with the top down without the slides so I doubt I will add them.

IMG_2631.JPG

Edited by badtoytrd, 08 October 2017 - 05:51 PM.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#14 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

badtoytrd- what ARB model is that?  And what size camper -Fleet, Hawk? 

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

We replaced our Norcold 3 way two years ago with a Dometic CRX-1065 two years ago.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

Don - I have a 37qt but a 50qt would fit just as well due to the 37 and 50 being the same dimensions except for height. The 50 would probably work best with a slide added though. I am running this setup in a Fleet. The ARB was a downsize compared to my Dometic but I have not noticed any difference in the amount of food we can take. I think part of that is because you can pack a top loader to the brim and don't have to worry about stuff falling out when you open it up. Another thing I want to mention is I can go about 3-4 days with this setup without charging via alternator or solar where I was lucky to be able to go a 24 hour period before. I am running 2 aux batteries (1 under hood and 1 in camper) that give me about 180 amps total and the fridge is usually our only consumption except for the water pump here and there and heater fan if it's colder.

Edited by badtoytrd, 09 October 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#17 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

thanks badtoytrd

Even when plugged into shore power at home, I often can't get my fridge down to safe temperatures during some of our blazing hot So Cal weather

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#18 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Don - I have a 37qt but a 50qt would fit just as well due to the 37 and 50 being the same dimensions except for height. The 50 would probably work best with a slide added though. I am running this setup in a Fleet. The ARB was a downsize compared to my Dometic but I have not noticed any difference in the amount of food we can take. I think part of that is because you can pack a top loader to the brim and don't have to worry about stuff falling out when you open it up. Another thing I want to mention is I can go about 3-4 days with this setup without charging via alternator or solar where I was lucky to be able to go a 24 hour period before. I am running 2 aux batteries (1 under hood and 1 in camper) that give me about 180 amps total and the fridge is usually our only consumption except for the water pump here and there and heater fan if it's colder.

is this in a fleet camper? side or front dinete? or a shell

i have a fleet front dinette, and hate the fridge

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#19 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Broverlanding - I wish I had a front dinette but my Fleet is a roll over couch version. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do something like this with you dinette version though. I hated the fridge too but I had the older Dometic setup. I really thought I would want a 50 qt but we've been able to make the 37 work. It was a "free" mod for me b/c I already had the ARB fridge.

#20 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

My experience is that the newer Indel/Webasto Isotherm 60L fridge uses about the same amount of power as my last ARB/NL/etc top loading fridge (1 - 1.5 A average under 'normal conditions').   So if you have the newer fridge in your camper you won't gain much from the switch.   In my opinion anyway, my new front loader is much more convenient to use compared to the ARB I had in my previous camper as you don't have to dig through your food and it is easy to access from outside with the top up or down. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users