11 replies to this topic

#1 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

My Fleet has been happy in the bed of my Tacoma for a few years.  When my wife wanted dirt for the garden, all I could do was shrug.  Also, my driveway is so short and steep and warped, when I did attempt to perform a camperectomy, I managed to knock off a couple of the slats under the camper.  

Never again—not in the driveway, anyway.  The street we are on is not as steep and is at least true so I just need to build a dolly to move the camper back and forth, and with the help of my truck's winch, I think I can do it.  However, with much angst, I did get the camper off in the driveway.  

Now I need to replace the slats.  Each slat is 1-1/2", glued and screwed up into the floor above, just a few threads, almost designed to fall off easily.  I'm thinking of replacing all the slats with a solid double sheet of pressure-treated plywood glued and screwed and sealed against moisture.  The bed of my Tacoma is waffled so I'm not so much worried about water.  The weight is something but not enormous.  The double-sheet, with chamfered edges, will have fewer corners to snag the guide brackets bolted into the truck bed.  Why shouldn't I do this?

Thanks—

Mark

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#2 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

For me it would be about the extra weight.

when I had to build up the bottom of my old pastime to get it to clear the cab, I used cedar 2"×4"s

they are very light and super weather resistant 

Maybe they would work well for your situation also.

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

You could also use high density foam glued and screwed (with washers) to the bottom of your camper.

Lighter in weight and added insulation for the win!

Here's an example...
http://www.homedepot...-88WD/202085958

Edited by smlobx, 11 October 2017 - 08:02 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

That is a great idea smlobx.   If I ever take my flatbed off I would definitely replace the wood with foam.  I had thought about filling in the spaces between the slats with foam, but entirely replacing the slats with foam would be an even better idea. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

I'd be very careful about replacing the skid strips with a foam sheet. The foam has the potential to compress and loosen the turnbuckles.

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

The compressive strength on the foam suggested is 15 PSI.   The bottom of my fleet is ~ 72"x72" - so ~5000 sq inches, which means the foam can take a ~75,000 lb load before compressing.    It is not quite that simple in a truck bed with ridges, but you can also get the same sort of foam with 100 psi compressive strength, so I think you would be fine.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'd be very careful about replacing the skid strips with a foam sheet. The foam has the potential to compress and loosen the turnbuckles.

Squatch I understand your concern. I guess it depends on how rough you are on your rig. As a point of reference we use a slightly higher density foam board

http://www.homedepot...-52DD/202085962

Under weight bearing slabs in home construction that support literally tons of weight. So this is also an option...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Stay away from pressure treat wood. Fasteners will be eaten away, even stainless. Use a 1 X non-treated and paint them before installing, with glue and screws.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

Thanks all. 

When I called FWC Repair in Woodland, I was advised to replace the slats that had come off, maybe with a chamfer to make them less likely to snag the brackets in the bed.  The slats are marine plywood like the floor.  I was told that any material that would absorb water (like pt plywood) would hold moisture and eventually rot the floor, even the marine plywood.  They'd seen it several times—he said replacing an entire floor costs half the price of a new camper.

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:00 AM

Keep everything well painted. Cheap insurance. I just repainted mine this spring. Latex porch enamel works well and isn't expensive. I was going to use a DIY bed liner but cheaped out. My camper is 5 years old and the original paint has held up well. So I went the same route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users