• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Markybrue

Markybrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

So I inquired about the rear awning for our FWC Fleet only to find it had been discontinued. After further investigation, I found out why...the price tag! I decided to make one. Here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171015_094259.jpg
  • IMG_20171015_094324.jpg
  • IMG_20171015_094347.jpg

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

Looks nice Markybrue
How is the top attached to the roof of your camper?
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 munchmeister

munchmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Nicely done Marky! That's exactly what I'd like to do for my Raven shell. Thbanks for the photos. Questions: What kind of hardware did you use for attaching the poles to the camper? Do you have a source for that hardware? Looks like it was made for this application. Any worries about attaching it to the camper wall? I've "studied" some of the photos on the web of FWC aluminum skeleton and it looks like that section is pretty much solid aluminum frame, so less worry driving screws into that part of the camper. Yes? Any additional info (or photos!) appreciated. Well done.
2015 FWC Raven shell, on a 2007 Ford F-150 XLT short box crew cab :D

#4 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

Rather than mount the hardware to the camper why not use something at the jack mounting plates instead?   Ron

#5 munchmeister

munchmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

Rather than mount the hardware to the camper why not use something at the jack mounting plates instead?   Ron

Got an example of how that would work?
2015 FWC Raven shell, on a 2007 Ford F-150 XLT short box crew cab :D

#6 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

Extendable awning poles, I have some that would work just fine. Just make a bolt on pocket for the end of the pole to rest in.  Ron

#7 Markybrue

Markybrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:24 AM

Looks nice Markybrue
How is the top attached to the roof of your camper?
Russ

It is attached to the factory raingutter

#8 Markybrue

Markybrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

Nicely done Marky! That's exactly what I'd like to do for my Raven shell. Thbanks for the photos. Questions: What kind of hardware did you use for attaching the poles to the camper? Do you have a source for that hardware? Looks like it was made for this application. Any worries about attaching it to the camper wall? I've "studied" some of the photos on the web of FWC aluminum skeleton and it looks like that section is pretty much solid aluminum frame, so less worry driving screws into that part of the camper. Yes? Any additional info (or photos!) appreciated. Well done.

I used Bimini hardware in stainless. I used Amazon for all of the hardware.

I opened up the panels on the inside to ensure a solid fit. There are solid aluminum panels at the gas strut locations.

#9 Markybrue

Markybrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Rather than mount the hardware to the camper why not use something at the jack mounting plates instead? Ron

By mounting the poles towards the inside and up high, the straps allow pull the pole ends towards the jack points. This allowed me to not have a third pole on the end of the awning.

#10 Markybrue

Markybrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:35 AM

I found a used billboard tarp. Double coated PVC. It works great as an awning. I have a sewing machine that can sew canvas and it worked great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users