Photo
- - - - -

Which Cheap Camper(s) are Good Options for a 1st Gen Tacoma (6' Bed)

Tacoma fwc old vintage restore

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 sportsmanjake

sportsmanjake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

I don't understand the cheap part of your question, if you want quality for nothing you may need to be looking at tents in the $4000.00 range. Four Wheel campers are not in the $4000.00 range.  Just saying.  Ron

Maybe I can help explain it. I don't have a lot of money for a slide in camper. What I do have is a bunch of tools and a love of building. 

Therefore, If I can buy a 20 year old camper and completely gut it and make it my own, then I will be having a great time.

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

Jake, there are several threads here on rebuilds, some of which are major. For example taking a full length (8') camper and shortening it down to fit a short bed truck. Older trucks had more space between the wheel wells, and folks have narrowed them down for late model trucks. A number of Alaskan rebuilds as well. I'll see if I can locate some and post links.

Edit:
http://www.wanderthe...-become-a-hawk/
http://www.wanderthe...-amateur-build/
http://www.wanderthe...mplete-rebuild/

Search the forums, there are more. BTW, if you find an older FWC that needs a repair you can't do, ATC works on the older models, reasonable prices as well. They're a "can do" quality shop!

I am haunted by waters

#13 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Maybe I can help explain it. I don't have a lot of money for a slide in camper. What I do have is a bunch of tools and a love of building. 

Therefore, If I can buy a 20 year old camper and completely gut it and make it my own, then I will be having a great time.

I would try to find an older shell model, may be less work and it will be cheaper.  Ron

#14 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Buying a good used camper at the right price can be done, but it will take a lot of time and commitment. I looked for over a year and missed out on several in that time because the good ones will sell in the first hour. You MUST search CL multiple times a day and you MUST be willing to commit to buy sight unseen. I found the best areas to look were Denver and Phoenix. I bought a loaded FWC Ranger II in excellent condition for $1,000 + $700 for shipping. If I got lucky, so can you!

cwd

PS. I love the wings and built in taillights. I think the camper has a much more finished look. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Web Toyota.jpg

CWDT

#15 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

First, welcome to WTW!

An ATC Bobcat would be the top of my list.

Is ATC bobcat constructed with aluminum frame?

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#16 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Yes, exactly like a FWC.

The floor pack is plywood in both ATC & FWC and above that is the aluminium frame.

Jeff and Marty, owners of ATC used to work at FWC a long time ago.

#17 GoinBoardin

GoinBoardin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWY

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

There are deals out there, but as stated, they sell very fast. A nice 80's Grandby popped up last spring for $700 in Denver, sold in minutes (seller updated the listing post sale, thanking everyone for the interest, and said it sold in something like 10 minutes). 

I paid $580 for my 80's Fleet, and I think that was far too much considering how much of it resides in the scrap yard now. I thought it usable as is, but it wasn't, and I ended up fully rebuilding it. If you think you may do a full build, start with the cheapest base you can, but be aware rebuilds are time consuming.

#18 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

I have a gen 1 Taco with an Eagle and am very happy with the combo.  I specifically did not want to go with a fleet because of the width on my 20-year old Taco.  Rear overhang is acceptable.  I bot the 2001 Eagle about 18 months ago for $5k. I responded to a Craigslist ad 10 minutes after the owner posted it (set up the notification for a search on the CL site) and I was looking at the camper about 60 minutes after that.  The owner had it for two years and he said he drove to Phoenix to buy it.  People who want Eagles are continually searching for them since they are not being made any more.  The owner said he had lots of replies and quit answering the phone and emails.  It was probably a good deal at the time but I ended up putting some $$ into it because of leaks in the roof which a prior owner had not repaired properly.  There's currently a 2006 Eagle near me that's listed on this website for $11k which is probably about current market value.  Unless you are very lucky, I suspect you will have to look into the 1980's and possibly early 1990's FWC to find something that fits your budget.  

Edited by Wildcat, 21 October 2017 - 04:27 AM.

2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#19 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:37 AM

Jake, given your budget constraints you might want to modify your criteria.  Check out the recent post labeled 80's Fleet RENO.  He's had it mounted on a '01 Taco.

2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#20 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

Yes, exactly like a FWC.

The floor pack is plywood in both ATC & FWC and above that is the aluminium frame.

Jeff and Marty, owners of ATC used to work at FWC a long time ago.

Phoenix Popup Camper, who claims to be the former owner of FWC, also builds their campers using aluminum frame.

Build-6-msze0f34elgma6zzoy5ijs95dm3kdqep

Edited by pollux, 21 October 2017 - 06:39 AM.

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, fwc, old, vintage, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users