2 replies to this topic

#1 witheflo

witheflo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting a 700fds Pastime Truck camper. They are built for small trucks. I have a Tacoma. Does anyone have any experience with these campers? I'm interested in how it handles on your truck. Any suspension modifications you made. How it affected gas mileage. How you like the camper generally speaking. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my truck now or wait and see.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Regardless of the camper, rear air bags are a good idea. Depending of the weight of the camper up graded tires and possibly upgraded wheels might be a good idea.
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Is the camper to be on full time or part time?

If full time I'll suggest changing the rear springs to suit rather than adding air springs.

Good damping will be important. If your truck has the OEM Bilsteins that's a decent start, but they are a smaller than normal shock body (not much oil volume or piston area) and may not be up to the job.

Tires with an appropriate load rating are important. IME it is rare for OEM wheels to have a load rating lower than any tire that can be mounted on them. Not true for aftermarket wheels, they can easily have low load rating.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yakima, Rack, Truck, Camper, Hard, Side, Best, Roof, Top, Flat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users