14 replies to this topic

#11 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

. . . certainly burning corn cobs, steak bones and the like would cut down on trash that would attract Mr. Bear. If you don't have the luxury of a fire pit you can go with minimalist washing of cooking/dining gear if keeping garbage would otherwise be a lure for Mr. Bear . . .

Don't count on burning trash to keep bears away.  The fire pit at our family cabin in Northern Minnesota regularly gets torn up by black bears looking for food scraps and we have big, hot fires.

The biggest thing I like about the beagle pre-wash is it eliminates food scraps from the grey water, of which I seldom have any because of the excellent job Simon does.  I'm not worried about attracting bears as much as skunks and raccoons.  If bleach doesn't kill what Simon leaves on the plate I'm not sure I would want to have him around.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#12 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

... If there was a fire pit, burning paper plates would not be an issue and certainly burning corn cobs, steak bones and the like would cut down on trash that would attract Mr. Bear.

...What to do with the plastic wrap and foam tray your T-bone came on is the issue here...

If you are not burning the latter than I admire your restraint. I've seen a lot of remains in fire pits, sometimes of worse things, such as disposable diapers. We rarely have a fire anyway so burning is not a solution for us. For garbage if there is no pick up then it's the "pack it in pack it out" policy. Now ... would a few plates make a difference to me ? IDK. I simply like to minimize garbage (and food waste).

... but where you dump the grey water and what kind of soap (biodegradable?) is an issue

This is a good point and I can see someone using paper plates solely because of it. Of course the questioning could continue on to personal washing water but that gets into things that are best not talked about in polite circles, like camping hygiene and being overloaded. ;)

I will say that some less-serviced camp spots have pit toilets but no garbage pickup...

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Seems like the older I get --the lazier I get. I spent years backpacking and truck camping and I bought my pop-up when i retired so I could still "enjoy"  the outback as I got older and slower and not really worry about how much does something  weigh or how much space does it take-sorry ;). While I still carry and some times use my old back packing cookware, I find myself  using my "IGA" compostable natural based plates and bowls more and more.  These plates also licked by my dog "Bob" before getting put in the trash bag or fire (when I have one). I save my hot water for my silverware (a mishmash of  old backpacker and more newer stuff) and the pots and pans.  The paper stuff just seems more convenient and I'll deal with storing them and the other junk in the the garbage, building fires and/or dealing with.bears and other critters on a case by case situation. 

\

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 10 November 2017 - 04:12 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 The Unshaven

The Unshaven

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

When I first saw this post I thought it was gonna be about Alf’s home planet and the hate speech crowd condemning the asiatic reference in the name “chinet”. Guess I was wrong...

For me it depends on length of trip, venue, alone vs with extra people, menu plans,etc. For me doing a couple extra dishes doesn’t matter, especially if I’ve already dirtied a couple pots preparing a meal. I love one pot meals where everyone grabs a spoon and dives in, communicable diseases be damned! Liberal doses of post meal whiskey cures a lot[emoji6].

I also like letting the dog help with dishes, its a real win-win situation. Any squeamish types, refer to whiskey comment above. It’s also a real hoot to be with new comers and let them see you put the dishes directly back in the cupboard after fido is done, then say “dishes are done.” Looks on their faces can be priceless...

2015 FWC Fleet on 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

#15 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

We go either way. Depends on the situation, it it gets to late we'll use paper. Otherwise it's a good dry wipe down with paper towels and splish-spalsh with a bit of biodegradable soap & water.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users