• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 six5

six5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

I’d like to install a Camco Wave 3 catalytic  heater for seasonal use meaning I want to remove it 8 months of the year. I called Camco and they do not make a quick disconnect fitting with a shut off valve that I would put onto a T in an existing gas line. Has anybody done this?

My plan was to screw/3mtape my 39”X 39.5” solar panel directly to the roof, there are 45 screws in the roof and the solar panel will cover a bunch of them, plus the center seam will be partially covered by the panel. Are the screws and center seam prone to leak? Or need periodic resealing? I’d rather not put the panel on a rack. Are there Z brackets where you can easily unbolt the panel from the brackets leaving the Z brackets screwed in?  Ideas?

Thanks guys for your help. Six5

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

When I installed a wave 3 inside our first camper, I used a quick connect with shut off valve. The local small RV/trailer store/shop had all the connectors and short rubber gas hose.

In our current camper I found it simpler/easier to just run a rubber gas hose to the wave 3. To seasonally remove the heater I unhook the hose, install a brass plug in the end connection, coil the hose and zip tie it out of the way.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

This is what I did to plumb my Wave 6:  a post from 2014.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

If your panel is glass based with aluminum frame, I would expect that too much heat would be generated under the glass.

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

You should be able to locate some "Z" brackets to hold the panel on.I wouldn't attach the panel directly to the roof.

Do you have a factory roof rack? If you do you can attach the panel to it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

Hey, welcome to the site, and congratulations on your new camper! We always love pictures!

I am haunted by waters

#7 six5

six5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

Hi guys, I appreciate your ideas. After rereading my post it does read I was planning to mount the solar panel directly to the roof, but I am thinking Z brackets so.. are are the roof bolts and center seam prone to leaks and needing periodic resealing? Thanks, Six5 

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Hi guys, I appreciate your ideas. After rereading my post it does read I was planning to mount the solar panel directly to the roof, but I am thinking Z brackets so.. are are the roof bolts and center seam prone to leaks and needing periodic resealing? Thanks, Six5

With any RV, it's always a good idea to inspect (at least annually) and reseal the roof as necessary. Weather exposure and vibration will eventually create a leak. It could be a screw, or an opening for a vent. That's not to say there is a problem with manufacturing, just that time takes its toll. The same goes for openings on the sides, such as windows and access doors. Be vigilant.

I think that Z mounts are a good idea. If you're going to carry anything on top, consider installing Yakima/Thule tracks that can be a base for your Z mounted solar panel.  If you look at the AM Solar site, they have a video on installing a solar panel without drilling holes.   I am not sure how it would be on a popup roof, but it might be an option.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heating, solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users