King-sized Bed-slide for Cabover Bed?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

We've always made do with the east-west sleeping in our previous and current FWC Hawks. But far from ideal since we both get up during the night and seldom on the same schedule.

So I'm thinking about ordering a new FWC Flatbed Grandby. Is anyone using the slide-out bed option from the factory. Does it work well? (Especially with the underbed storage?) Is it worth the $495.00 price tag or (since I've virtually changed everything anyway in my previous Hawks) should I hack something together myself?

Photos of the option in use would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance and BTW we had a great four nights on the White Rim Trail last week. many thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

Our Fleet flatbed has the king bed slide out (it wasn't a removable option last year), but we have never used it.   One of the great things about the flatbed models is that you don't need to pull the bed out, so you get full use of the interior and you can leave the bed made.   On the fleet anyway, the slide out covers the sink, so you can't make coffee with the bed deployed - which is a non starter in my opinion ;).   The board and cushions also add up to about 30lb or so. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

Steve, we have the regular pull-out in our front dinette Grandby. I'm 5'-9" and my wife is 5'2". We sleep N/S. My feet dangle a little, but not a big deal. We also get up periodically. If I had it to do over again I'm not sure I would have included the king slide.Things work for us. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 14 November 2017 - 02:57 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

I've never had a flatbed, but I've had a king bed in a camper and it was the best thing ever. Wife liked not having to climb over me to get out of the bed. She made us sleep north/south in our non-king bed which I hung off of. I'm 6'2". So I guess it just really depends on how tall you are. I would order a king in my next camper in a heartbeat.

F150 & FWC

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

$495 seems a bit steep for a few extra feet of cabinet grade wood, foam, upholstery fabric and slider material.  But, if you are not a DIYer, $495 is probably a deal for a King upgrade.

I've been contemplating remaking our slide-out, adding about 6" will allow us to sleep N-S.  Adding 6" will completely cover the front dinette;  not a big deal as it is the dog bed at night.  The stove on the front dinette Hawk is in the left rear corner so no issue making coffee...just sitting down to enjoy the Cup-a-Joe if not wanting to go outside.  Unless the weather is just plain nasty, I generally have my Partner Steel stove/kitchen setup outside and enjoy the sunrise while drinking coffee. 

Hindsight being 20/20, I thought long and hard about the flatbed Hawk version but ended up ordering the slide-in Hawk.  If you can budget a flatbed and do not need a pickup bed, I would strongly encourage the flatbed route.  Sure wished I had gone the flatbed route.  It would have a King bed in a flatbed even though wasn't an option back in '15.

Edited by Advmoto18, 14 November 2017 - 11:35 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Thanks, everyone. So don't you just use two seat cushions from your dinette to put on top of the slideout? (I hate extra bulk in the camper.)

BTW, for those of you making coffee in the morning we bought a really good stainless steel thermos from REI and make up our coffee the night before. It is still steaming hot for me when I wake up early and I don't need to clatter around making it and wake up Sioux.

Just a thought...

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

The extended bed cushions are different from the dinette cushions - so you also have to store those somewhere. The other reason we couldn't do the extended bed is that we have the froli sleep system, not sure how that would work with the extended bed. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

I would definitely do the king bed upgrade. Mine isn't factory but we love the N/S sleeping and the extra room up top.

#9 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

The extended bed cushions are different from the dinette cushions - so you also have to store those somewhere. The other reason we couldn't do the extended bed is that we have the froli sleep system, not sure how that would work with the extended bed. 

We have the 1 3/4"  Froli too. Sounds like I'll need to hack together my own version if I do anything. (I love a challenge!)

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Although we don't have a FWC Camper I can tell you that the NS arrangement in our Hallmark is one of the must have options that my wife insisted on for precisely the reason that many here have mentioned. 

Since ours is a queen bed (king is also optional) we get a pair of nightstands as well which allows us to each store a weeks worth of clothes which is a very good thing as well.

As for the cost? I think it is now a $3000 option on Hallmarks so the FWC  up-charge sounds like quite a bargain...although the construction details are quite different.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users