• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

Thought I would pass on a safety issue. While at the rally this past weekend I started having some odd electrical problems. I noticed intermittent low voltages that would increase after cycling the power.

Upon returning home I went to check the electrical system. Upon reaching into the compartment containing the dual battery system I immediately noticed arcing. I then noticed the negative battery post cover was melted. The nut holding the negative wires was spinning free on the battery post.

My guess is that the nut was loose from previous trips and completely loosened during the off road tour we went on. It would serve you well to check your battery connections. I'm glad I avoided a fire.

Stay safe and Happy Trails.

IMG_2257.JPG

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#2 SeatoSea

SeatoSea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Good tip thanks, hope things are ok.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Timothy, i agree great trip. If there isn’t a lock washer, you might want to add one.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

Vehemently opposed to lock washers myself. I throw away all of them supplied with whatever. Never had a properly torqued nut come loose, and by that I don't mean to imply that I carry a torque wrench around all of the time. Where "Mission Critical" I use a nylock, a prevailing torque lock-nut, safety wire, or some form of Lock-tite. In applications similar to the "Jesus Nut" on a helicopter I use two or more of these methods on the same fastener.

Highly recommend reading "Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith. He covers a lot of this sort of thing along with a lot of other topics pertinent to race cars but that also have applications in this niche.

Edited by ntsqd, 15 November 2017 - 01:43 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Having seen a H46 crash and kill the crew (MCAS Kaneohe Bay) because the Jesus nut wasn’t even installed, I tend to like belt and suspender solutions. Proper torque (I often carry a torque wrench for lug nuts) is absolutely important, but it won’t always mitigate vibration.

I am haunted by waters

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:02 AM

Neither will a so-called lock washer. They aren't used on aircraft or pro built race cars. If there is a vibe concern some other means is used to stop the fastener from working loose.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Aircraft and spacecraft most often use Belleville washers or epoxy staking or wire nuts.

Belleville washers are "wavy" washers and are similar to a lock washer.  

I have also seen nylock nuts used but they can only be tightened once.

That written I have never had a problem with a lock washer on any of the dozen or so vehicles that I have owned over the past 40 years.  Several of them I used off road.  ;-)

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 16 November 2017 - 03:33 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:43 AM

Thanks Tim
Glad it worked out and that's all it was. Will do a quick check on ours.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

Belleville washers are not wavy, they are conic as they are used as short-stroke, high rate springs. By alternating them or nest-stacking them you can 'build' a spring with a rate and stroke to suit the need. BT, DT in several designs.

The basic premise of a lock-washer is that it's spring loading keeps the fastener assembled in the joint. It will not keep the joint tight. The problem is that very few joints are viable with a loose fastener. So a failed joint is one with a loose fastener, something that the lock-washer can not and did not prevent. Couple that with the frequent experience with split type lock washers having broken in half, creating that loose joint in the process, and I see no need to use them for anything other than ballast to keep my trash cans from floating away. YMMV

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Being a boater I always use big wingnuts on my battery terminals. This allows me to easily check them often. When in doubt a little blue Loc-Tite goes a long way.

Glad you found this before it caused a real problem.

Is your battery strapped down? Main cause of cables getting loose in my experience is a battery shifting around slightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users