• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Profkanz

Profkanz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:01 AM

My post above has been edited with important info.

#12 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

Have you figured out what to do for the sheared bolts yet?  If not, I would drill and extract out the old bolts, being careful not to enlarge the hole any further.  That way you can buy two of the same size threaded bolts and replace with out having to fill the old ones and drill new holes.  And like Profkanz suggested, be proactive on the rear roof seal.  Otherwise you may have to go through what I just did with my sun-lite!  Happy camping!

Yes, my neighbor, and prior owner, was able to do just that.  I helped.  All is good with that.  We I will check out the roof seals.  It is under cover now, and has been all winter.

#13 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:55 AM

Hi,

Yours is similar to the TC800 (2000 model) I bought last month. Propane door is not a big deal and should be available at any RV service center. In a pinch a piece of plywood can be fitted as a door if vents are added. You will want to check the seal around the roof vent. Any cracking or failure in the adhesivity of the sealing material should be taken care of yesterday if possible. DO NOT use silicone caulk anywhere. Sika 715 is a self leveling sealant that works very well for this and can be applied on top of existing seal after cleaning. Also check the sealant at the corner brackets of the roof. Sika 505 is a no sag seal good for that.

To add more jacks for 4 corner support you will need extra corner support brackets. I have Happijacks on mine and they also have VERY sturdy jacks brackets and motors that can be bought online for not the usual overpriced dollars. Check Panther RV Products.

One more very critical thing; you MUST replace the propane and carbon monoxide detectors. They are most likely as old as the camper and they have a useful life of 5 to 10 years. Also add a smoke detector on the ceiling. Your life may depend on these.

Was planning on new detectors.  never hear of a propane one before.  Will find one.  

#14 snwbdr94

snwbdr94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Was planning on new detectors. never hear of a propane one before. Will find one.

Good to hear that the bolts got replaced! The propane detector would be considered an explosive gas detector.

#15 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

Getting ready to order the camper tie down stuff.  Gonna go with frame mount in the front, and start with fender bumpers in the rear.  Then will be finding another Rieco Titan jack to make my jacks a set of 4 and move away from the tripod.  Then will get the camper on the truck so I can try it out and figure out more improvements from there.  

#16 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

Thinking I will go with an ARB awning.  Have tork lift tie downs coming.  So, will get the battery figured out (want to perhaps replace the start/deep cycle with a better one for lights, etc. and in prep for solar) and will find one more camper jack to make it 4 and move away from the tripod set up.  Then will just use it for a bit and figure out more later.  Will wait to order the awning too.  But that is what I think I am doing.  Hoping to get it on the truck next week.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 14 April 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#17 snwbdr94

snwbdr94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

Do you have batteries in the camper currently? If so where are they located at? You'll enjoy the torklift mounts. I wish I had spent the extra cash for torklift or happijac mounts instead of the brophy.

I was looking at your album, what are the dimensions for that mattress? Looks very comfortable and big!

#18 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

Do you have batteries in the camper currently? If so where are they located at? You'll enjoy the torklift mounts. I wish I had spent the extra cash for torklift or happijac mounts instead of the brophy.

I was looking at your album, what are the dimensions for that mattress? Looks very comfortable and big!

The battery goes in a box on the rear exterior.  It will fit a large car size type battery.  It was recommended in this thread:  http://www.wanderthe...ndation/page-4  By Vic Harder and ckent323 that I figure out my power needs and go from there.  I may have to expand my battery box a little.  It was suggested that I try to get two golf cart batteries in so that I could store enough power, and effectively use solar.  This is the direction I will head over time.  I am thinking I will buy a suitcase type and not mess with building, but I have not decided for sure.  See that other thread for that discussion.  

The mattress is 55" x 75".  In this Northstar model, from 1994, you sleep "east/west" rather than "north/south" as they come now, so whoever is farther back in has to climb over/around the person sleeping closer to the edge to get out.  A minor inconvenience given the deal I got on this unit.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 15 April 2018 - 06:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: northstar, pop-up, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users