• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#11 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

Thanks all for the information and welcomes!

Made a few repairs to the aluminum frame tonight. One crack repair and then some reinforcement where someone cut out part of the structure to install a refrigerator vent. I don't have a welder so quickest and easiest repair for me was to install and aluminum doubler and river in a piece of aluminum angle. Not the greatest repair ever but hey, it's a camper...

IMG_3409.JPG

#12 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

And then removed the floor pack. Not sure if anyone else ran into the same thing I did, but all of the fasteners had somehow become countersunk into the old wood and made them difficult and time consuming to remove. The majority of them I had to drill the wood out around the fastener in order for the nut driver to grab.
IMG_3407.JPG

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

In places that you have a crack in the aluminum and you have shored up the break by either riveting or screwing in splints on either side,..... apply J B Weld in a thing overcoat. It is a very reliable 2 part metal epoxy that is quite durable. It has saved my whiskers an number of times.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

In places that you have a crack in the aluminum and you have shored up the break by either riveting or screwing in splints on either side,..... apply J B Weld in a thing overcoat. It is a very reliable 2 part metal epoxy that is quite durable. It has saved my whiskers an number of times.

I actually do something similar but use a product that is used on aircraft as a structural adhesive and fuel tank sealant. Not sure why other industries don't use it as it has incredible bonding and sealing capabilities yet remains slightly flexible. I'll use be same product to seal the roof, windows, and anywhere else I don't want water creeping in.

http://m.aircraftspr...clickkey=476681

I've also used aircraft structural flush rivets for the patches.

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Can you remove this adhesive? If you need to remove a window, you don’t want something with the strength of a 3M 5200.

Curious question... have you built a plane?

I am haunted by waters

#16 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Can you remove this adhesive? If you need to remove a window, you don’t want something with the strength of a 3M 5200.

Curious question... have you built a plane?

It can be removed with a plastic scraper and a lot of elbow grease. I've never used 3M 5200, but I would trust Proseal to bond a window in place with no fasteners and would be able to remove if I needed to.

I've not built an airplane in terms of a homebuilt or anything like that but sure have had a lot of them torn apart and put back together. I am a helicopter mechanic by trade.

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

I spent 10+ years in aviation maintenance, mostly helicopters. Avionics and QA. Sometimes I think it would be fun to turn a wrench again, but then reality and the love of retirement sets back in. Where are you located?

I am haunted by waters

#18 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Congrats on the purchase.  Looks like it is going to be a fun project! Way to get right into it.

Looks like poky and shellback both gave some great advice on bed pull out. It is a pretty straightforward process but I still had some issues with it (never posted about it). That big sheet of plywood needs some rigidity to hold someone sleeping on it. I ended up adding some aluminum braces along the bottom which to sure everything up.   Also. I actually ended up using a little foam (tool box drawer liner) where the sheet of plywood contacts the wooden supports on three sides.  This helped everything set together (not just wood/wood contact) and really made it stable.  It took a few tweaks but in the end was not a very difficult project. I am sure you can make something that works well.

I don't know what you were getting at about your last question from your initial post, about the bulb seal.  Probably because I have an old camper too that doesn't have it. Maybe post a picture because I would love to learn too. 

And it came with the sideliner materials!! That's just a massive invitation to make your own :) I am sure someone on this site would be interested in purchasing the material if you go with ATC (a very good option). 

Looking forward to following along. - Tim

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#19 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like it is going to be a fun project! Way to get right into it.

Looks like poky and shellback both gave some great advice on bed pull out. It is a pretty straightforward process but I still had some issues with it (never posted about it). That big sheet of plywood needs some rigidity to hold someone sleeping on it. I ended up adding some aluminum braces along the bottom which to sure everything up. Also. I actually ended up using a little foam (tool box drawer liner) where the sheet of plywood contacts the wooden supports on three sides. This helped everything set together (not just wood/wood contact) and really made it stable. It took a few tweaks but in the end was not a very difficult project. I am sure you can make something that works well.

I don't know what you were getting at about your last question from your initial post, about the bulb seal. Probably because I have an old camper too that doesn't have it. Maybe post a picture because I would love to learn too.

And it came with the sideliner materials!! That's just a massive invitation to make your own :) I am sure someone on this site would be interested in purchasing the material if you go with ATC (a very good option).

Looking forward to following along. - Tim

Thanks for the info!

Apparently the newer models have a seal around the front edge of the camper so that seals between the roof and the top edge of the cabover so that when the top is down water cannot get in when driving. Someone had mentioned it in another post but I can't find it again and can't really find any other information regarding what the actual seal looks like or where to buy it.

We did place an order with ATC for the new popup and arctic pack so will probably wait until we receive it and then sell the material that came with the camper.

Got a good start in the new floor pack today. I wanted to maximize the floor space so it's built fairly tight to the tundra's bed. It might be a bear backing the truck into it as there isn't a lot of room between the floor pack and the truck's fenders. I gained about a foot of width at the fenders from the Fleet floor pack and will gain about 5.5" of height. This whole thing would have been a lot easier with a table saw but I made due with a skill saw, clamps, and a straight edge.

#20 lostwon

lostwon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

IMG_3645.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users