#51 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

Love it!

I need to hike that. Looks wonderful. Death Valley geology is amazing. Lee Flat is a nice place. Guess the new signage has even made it out there.

To be honest when going to Saline I'm one of those making dust trails. I do however slow down near other vehicles. I prefer North Pass though.

I don't suspect you get it up to 60 to 65 , do you? :)

Happy Birthday Ski!

No better way to mark your entry into Super-Geezerdom than a great round of geological-genealogical hardcore hiker exploration.  

It's awesome seeing all of that structure.  Between nature's deep incisions by erosion and some "help" from man, the geologist really gets a 3-D picture of the folds and faults.  And a skilled photographer brings it out for others to see!  

Looking forward to the next installments. Many thanks for sharing!

Foy

Foy, as ever, thanks for comments on the geology. The structure here was outstanding! :)

Wow, what a beautiful place. Enjoyed hiking along with both of you. Happy B'Day Ski. You are the master of trip reports. jd

Thanks much John! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#52 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

Great idea for a trip- tracking down interesting relatives. Interesting to speculate what life was like there. My Dad's family were ranchers in South Dakota before the Depression (when they lost everything in drought and severe winters). I've often thought it would be fun to try and find their ranches and see what became of them. I did track down my Grandfather's grave on one trip- that was interesting!

We too like to walk in the dark. I was just reading today about the increasing light pollution all over the world, being accelerated by the spread of LED lighting.

Thanks for your continuing report. Very fun to follow along.

Good job on tracking down the grave. It really brings the stories to life to visit the spots where they happened!  :) 

The ski3pins getting lost? Had me going for a minute. Erv and dementia hit a little too close to home. I suspect this was our last family thanksgiving. 

My second Michael Diggonnet book arrived yesterday. Seriously thinking maybe DV for the New Year.

Dementia and Alzheimer's cruel. Our hearts go out to folks who are dealing with loved ones with these issues.

Nice stories, nice TR----just the right ending to T-Day!

Smoke

Thanks Smoke! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#53 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

Thank you for yet again another great post!

Thanks Ron! Are going getting out and about?

I can’t wait to get back down there, between reopenings of the Wonder Mine and Mitchell Caverns, there are always new beauties to see. The sidewinder was stunningly beautiful. Thanks for taking us with you!

That sidewinder was striking with its good looks! :)

I'm looking forward to finally visiting Keane for the first time. Thank you as always for your great write ups and photos.

Have you and the lady been to Mitchell Caverns? I'm sure we'd all enjoy your observations even though photography is difficult inside the caverns. It is a wonderful place to experience.

Mitchell Caverns are on the list! :)

#54 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

I would like to see that some day. Nice TR, again. Thanks.  Mitch

We hope you do Mitch! :)

Ski thanks for the report.I really appreciate all the time/work you put into them.

Very much enjoy reading them,most of these places a lot of us aren't able to view first hand so your reports are special.

Thanks

Frank

Thanks Frank! :)

Another fine trip for the Ski3pins. Thanks for posting, I hope to get to DV in January. 

Bill, you are very kind. Thank you! :)

#55 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

Another fantastic trip that has me pouring over the maps.

We're heading that way the week before Christmas and always looking for new obscure hikes.

Uncle Erv's mine camp was really cool and somehow avoided the gun totin' types too.

Thanks for the ongoing inspiration!

Glad to add some inspiration and get folks pulling out the maps! Thanks Andy! :)

What a wonderful finale. Your travels are not only inspirational but so much more. Thank you as usual for a fantastic report.

Thanks for your very kind comments! :)

Well done on the birthday trip! I enjoyed the report. As others have said, I appreciate the effort you put into them. Thanks!

You are most welcome, thank you! :)

#56 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for sharing.  Enjoyed the ride-along.  jd

You are welcome John!

Great report and photos you guys.  I do love DV!

Thanks Stew for the nice comment. Isn't about time you return to Death Valley? :)

Great read and your photos are nice too.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks! :)

#57 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:25 AM

[quote name="ski3pin" post="185101" timestamp="1512954340"]Thanks Ron! Are going getting out and about?

I’m getting out tomorrow to head up north to the Trinity River for some steelhead fishing and I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t think the fishing will be good, but just taking a trip in the camper is always a joy. I wanted to tell you that my daughter said she thought I did 65 better than anyone she knows, but i told her she should look up ski3pin on WTW. You do it better than anybody!

#58 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

I don't suspect you get it up to 60 to 65 , do you? :)

Nope. Top is bout 50 and when I get there I start to bring it back down. This is only the flat stretches mind you.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#59 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:39 PM

We recently purchased a used FWC camper and the previous owners suggested we check out the WTW website. We came across your recent Trip Reports and ended up looking back to previous year's reports. Wow you guys do get around. Its been interesting to read your account of travels in our previous home base (20 years in central Idaho) and our new home base in SW Colorado. Idaho we knew a bit about but here in Colorado we're still newbies. Hopefully, we'll be checking your blog for tips for years to come. Thanks.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users