Photo
- - - - -

Weighing my FWC options (shell vs standard; fleet vs swift; now vs later) help talk me through it please

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#11 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'll share what I can.

First off weight.

I have a Finch shell model (with couch) on my 09 Tacoma. It was purchased from a guy with a truck like yours, double cab shortbed. It hangs out on a shortbed but with my truck I can close (and retain) my tailgate. I recently weighed my set up with full camp load out and it came to 6400 lbs. That is a lot of weight. I've got OME coils up front and their leaf pack with AAL in the back, Billy shocks/struts, and Wheelers bump stops front and rear. When l am fully loaded I've got about 1-2 inches above the bumps in the rear. If you end up getting a FWC I suggest airbags. I think it will be easier on your truck in the long run. My camper doesn't live on my truck and when I take it off the truck is raked forward. With that severe angle the drive shaft has some vibrations in 1st and 2nd gears. This is with the angled shims from Wheelers too.

2nd:Camper type

Since the Finch is no longer made I believe the Swift is the replacement. The Swift is wider. While I don't like the extra width and can camp for a week in my set up I understand some may want that extra elbow room. I'm sure it is nice for packing gear. Since mine is a shell model the only thing I have is my couch and a Lagun Table Mount. This has worked perfectly for me. I spent 10hrs in a rainstorm inside the camper and the table was really helpful. When not in use it swings out of the way. I've never had want for a dinette. I prefer to cook and clean up outside the camper, shower included. So far I've been using a solar shower bag and it works for me. As others have noted there are many campgrounds that offer showers. Last summer I fabbed up a plastic solar shower pipe device but haven't tried it out because it adds a lot of weight up on top of the camper and my internal lifting struts aren't up for the challenge. I need stronger weight struts.

In my setup the fridge is behind my seat in the cab. Therefore no space it taken up in the camper. I have a 2nd battery system which works with solar controlled by a CTEK D250s. The camper plugs into the cubby in the bed. Battery us used for camper power-lights (internal/external) and a fantastic fan. My fridge and spotlights are also hooked into the 2nd battery.

There's a thread here on WTW for used campers. If you check that out you may come across something that suits your needs. Deciding to buy new is a tough one. It seems that FWC has raised prices every year since I've been sincerely following prices. New is great and mine was only a few months old so I essentially bought out the rest of the loan with my own loan. Pretty basic.

Think that's all I can share. Check out my build thread listed in my sig. If you have any other questions that's what we're here for. Welcome to WTW and good luck.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#12 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

The good news with Four Wheel Camper is resale value. A $20,000 camper , Well taken care of and kept for 10 years will probably resell at 50% of new purchase or $10,000.

Buy  basic options  in your standard camper. If you buy the 3 way fridge you won't need two batteries or the 160 watt solar panel. If you camp off  the grid for a week of so you can get away with a 60-80 watt portable just to run the lights and the fan.

Don't buy the water heater. Boil water on the stove to wash and do the dishes with and a H20 solar heater for showers. Many state campgrounds have bathroom and shower facilities.

Yes buy the furnace. After 5 years of camping the portable is perfect when awake. Getting up at night for bathroom breaks in 35* weather not so much fun. 

And a second fantastic fan would have been great as the summers continue to get hotter.

Get two solar plugs. Roof one is standard. Rear wall is optional.

Last item is  the hydraulic camper jacks.

That's all you need

I'm trying to find that balance between convenience and function. And that line seems to be forever changing. I feel I can go without a fridge and was planning on mounting an ARB fridge inside the cab of my truck. Then I can move it around the campsite as needed. I'd prefer to open my truck door to grab a beer rather than crawl into the camper every time. Which brings up my other concern. I'm 6'4" and hope getting in and out of the little camper door won't be too difficult.

If I spec out my own new camper I'm pretty set on a water heater/outdoor shower. I know from my own experience that I simply wont shower otherwise (I mean it is camping after all) but the difference between a quick hot shower and not makes staying 4+ days so much more enjoyable.

Welcome drewdown,

Yes indeed you have a lot to consider. And of course only you can know what's right for you but I'll throw in some thoughts fwiw:

First, it's great that you appreciate your current situation, good fortune and the importance of not taking the future for granted.

Okay, shell vs standard: a quick look at the FWC site and it seems to me that you could save a lot of money with a shell. However, if you value a more finished/completed interior and don't see yourself getting it done then I'd say the std would be worth the extra $

fleet vs swift: I don't follow the models so I did a quick search to see if this had been asked on here before. Found this, not a match but worth a look imo.

http://www.wanderthe...amper-opinions/

further to the earlier post from Stalking Light, found this pic for a visual of what I thought was a fleet on a dble cab (sorry for the large pic) ...

maxresdefault.jpg

... turns out it's prob an eagle (I think about the same length tho), per this blog:

http://ourfourwheelc...ut-our-fwc.html

proof is in the pudding and those folks seem to have done a lot but that overhang on that "light" of a truck would be a complete non starter for me.

note on options: we have a side bench that makes into a bed (pre rollover bench) with storage under. I've never seen a side dinette but do wonder how it impacts storage (which I highly value). Furthermore, whichever pop up I were to consider for purchase, I'd strongly prefer have the ability to sleep with the top down. We don't do this often but consider it an important feature. I don't know if this is possible with the side dinette. And finally, is the side dinette even available with the swift ?

now vs later: well, always keep in mind you've waited two years and still survived :)

No idea about future deals.

Speaking for myself now. I'd say, yes, it sucks, that FWC is increasing prices. But would view that as a decision the mfr has made for their customers and not allow it to cause a rush to my purchase. Out of financial caution, I would also give serious consideration to selling the current camper/trailer before buying a replacement.

Good luck with it !

I guess I'm not so set on the dinette after all. And it appears the Swift only comes with one floorplan anyway. I'm still conflicted on running the longer camper in a 5' bed. I reallllyyyyy want the bigger camper since it's already such a small space. Had I known about these things when I bought my truck new in 2013 I would have ordered a double cab 6'. But hindsight is 20/20. And I really don't like the idea of selling my truck and searching for a clean used one. I bought this truck with the intention of having it forever.

Some of your questions have been answered above but I will reemphasize some of them. The Swift (5ft model) is only made with the Roll-Over Couch so to get a side dinette you would have to make that yourself. Also the Swift used external mounts not the traditional mounts. Don't know if you did a Fleet (or Eagle) on the 5ft bed you would need that as well, I assume so.

Shower- The shower is an expensive add on I would really put some thought into. It not only takes up potential storage space but add costs also. Yes nice feature but there are alternatives like the road shower and others like it. Ive heard the interior shower is a nightmare so I wouldn't plan on that.

Sink- Can be easily added to a shell to drain into a container. The real question is what do you need the sink for? If your wanting it for dishes and more, then you'll also need the water tank and some sort of pump. Meaning you're leaning more towards a full camper. Although both of those can be added to a shell as well.

Swifts themselves don't pop up too often and especially in silver spur, not to discourage you but its reality. Don't let the price increase force a large decision. If you can hold out for a used model you can save some money for sure.

Good luck!

Yeah I noticed that after the post. Thanks for pointing that out about the roll-over couch.  Shower I mentioned above. Still would really like one and would pay the extra if buying new I think. I've just gotten used to a sink in my current system. I don't run a ton of water through it but its a nice option. I'm also a serial hand washer when camping (I think it's subconscious from work lol), And great point about rushing.

>Can I get away with the Fleet camper on a 5' bed?

yes, with the extended portion sits on the tailgate, look this guy's Fleet on a 5'bed running everywhere

https://youtu.be/IjW0rVlCAw0

https://youtu.be/-lD1uliPLfA

thanks for sharing!

You haven't said where you're located.  If you did, there might be some FWC owners nearby who can share their experiences. Also If you can hold out until one of the annual camp outs you can get a lot of good first hand advice that way too.  I don't know how much the price increase is but you can easily spend that much by buying options you don't really need.

I'm located in Tucson, Arizona. I'm planning on camping up North next weekend and swinging by AT Overland. Hopefully they at least have a Fleet in stock. I'll call on Monday. I did the math yesterday and the model I want, with the options I want (fleet or swift) I will pay an additional $850 after Dec 15. Pretty good chunk of money, but not worth making a poor decision over.

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

I got my Eagle from AT and they are great folks to deal with. I bought a South African trailer from them back when they were importing rather than building their own and have been a loyal customer ever since even though I live in Atlanta.  ;)

As far as a fridge, I have one in my Eagle and I also have a small Yeti cooler I keep in the cab of the truck for beverages. I have two 'sets' of blue ice packs that I rotate between the freezer in my fridge and my cooler and it works great for me. When I towed a RTT trailer I had an Engle I kept in the cab and that worked well too, but I find the fridge to be a little gentler with the food I bring.

Another accessory I am finding more and more indispensable (although it isn't part of the camper package) is a Skottle for cooking on outdoors when it's too hot to cook inside.

And speaking of hot days (and especially nights), I started with just one fantastic fan and soon decided to add another. In the SE when I live I consider these indispensable but not so much when I'm camping in your neck of the woods where it cools off a bit at night.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

I'll share what I can.

First off weight.

I have a Finch shell model (with couch) on my 09 Tacoma. It was purchased from a guy with a truck like yours, double cab shortbed. It hangs out on a shortbed but with my truck I can close (and retain) my tailgate. I recently weighed my set up with full camp load out and it came to 6400 lbs. That is a lot of weight. I've got OME coils up front and their leaf pack with AAL in the back, Billy shocks/struts, and Wheelers bump stops front and rear. When l am fully loaded I've got about 1-2 inches above the bumps in the rear. If you end up getting a FWC I suggest airbags. I think it will be easier on your truck in the long run. My camper doesn't live on my truck and when I take it off the truck is raked forward. With that severe angle the drive shaft has some vibrations in 1st and 2nd gears. This is with the angled shims from Wheelers too.

2nd:Camper type

Since the Finch is no longer made I believe the Swift is the replacement. The Swift is wider. While I don't like the extra width and can camp for a week in my set up I understand some may want that extra elbow room. I'm sure it is nice for packing gear. Since mine is a shell model the only thing I have is my couch and a Lagun Table Mount. This has worked perfectly for me. I spent 10hrs in a rainstorm inside the camper and the table was really helpful. When not in use it swings out of the way. I've never had want for a dinette. I prefer to cook and clean up outside the camper, shower included. So far I've been using a solar shower bag and it works for me. As others have noted there are many campgrounds that offer showers. Last summer I fabbed up a plastic solar shower pipe device but haven't tried it out because it adds a lot of weight up on top of the camper and my internal lifting struts aren't up for the challenge. I need stronger weight struts.

In my setup the fridge is behind my seat in the cab. Therefore no space it taken up in the camper. I have a 2nd battery system which works with solar controlled by a CTEK D250s. The camper plugs into the cubby in the bed. Battery us used for camper power-lights (internal/external) and a fantastic fan. My fridge and spotlights are also hooked into the 2nd battery.

There's a thread here on WTW for used campers. If you check that out you may come across something that suits your needs. Deciding to buy new is a tough one. It seems that FWC has raised prices every year since I've been sincerely following prices. New is great and mine was only a few months old so I essentially bought out the rest of the loan with my own loan. Pretty basic.

Think that's all I can share. Check out my build thread listed in my sig. If you have any other questions that's what we're here for. Welcome to WTW and good luck.

Thanks for the reply I'll check your build out. Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. Especially the fridge inside the camper. And yes I'm aware of the used camper thread here. I check it daily, as well as SearchTempest within 1500 miles, as well as Google Alerts. No luck yet. I don't have cash in hand though so even if a deal came up I'd be too slow to react I think. I like how FTC says the external mounts (that they charge $750 for) are required for the Swift but conveniently leave them out in all but one pic, and even then only the front ones are shown. They look awful IMO. not near as clean of a look and it seems like it would make taking the camper on and off more difficult. I know it's a pretty dumb reason but that makes me not want to consider it.

Attached Thumbnails

• external-camper-tie-downs-tayota-tacoma-5-foot-bed-composite-tork-lift-happijac-four-wheel-campers.jpg

Edited by drewdown, 26 November 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#15 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

I got my Eagle from AT and they are great folks to deal with. I bought a South African trailer from them back when they were importing rather than building their own and have been a loyal customer ever since even though I live in Atlanta.  ;)

As far as a fridge, I have one in my Eagle and I also have a small Yeti cooler I keep in the cab of the truck for beverages. I have two 'sets' of blue ice packs that I rotate between the freezer in my fridge and my cooler and it works great for me. When I towed a RTT trailer I had an Engle I kept in the cab and that worked well too, but I find the fridge to be a little gentler with the food I bring.

Another accessory I am finding more and more indispensable (although it isn't part of the camper package) is a Skottle for cooking on outdoors when it's too hot to cook inside.

And speaking of hot days (and especially nights), I started with just one fantastic fan and soon decided to add another. In the SE when I live I consider these indispensable but not so much when I'm camping in your neck of the woods where it cools off a bit at night.

I'll give them a call on Monday to see what they have to say. Good to know there are other option.

I like your idea about the fridge and cooler. If I get a camper that has a fridge I will do just that, use the fridge for food, ice chest for drinks. Something about grabbing a cold beer out of an ice chest that is almost a necessity for me. I have two Rtic coolers that I use now, and haven't used my 3-way fridge once.

Buddy just picked up a Skottle and it worked awesome on our last outing.

The mountains cool off but lake trips are pretty common in the summer. And when I tent camped it was miserable because we would stay up late partying and then the moment the sun came up you couldn't sleep. But the pop-up camper I can unzip all the way around and get a breeze going. But yeah two fans is definitely on my list for that reason!

#16 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Tell Martyn that Charlie says hello.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#17 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

My fridge is used for food and I use a small RTIC for drinks. Still requires ice and in the summer I've had to replace the ice a few times on week long trips.

FWC doesn't use external mounts anymore on Tacomas. The bed mount bars are so clean.

If you find a use one and get in contact with the seller I don't see why you couldn't make arrangements and then contact your lender to set up a loan. That is how I picked up my camper.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

#18 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. That’s really good advice. The problem is I know myself too well. Despite the free time I’ll neber get around to doing any upgrades. Especially on a $16,000 Camper. I’d be too afraid to mess something up. My pop up doesn’t have a shower so I have had to improvise there. I just have a bucket and cordless pump. But warming the water before hand is tedious and anything that would also heat it probably takes up more room than it’s worth. Maybe I’m answering my own questions there. Lol

Get yourself a 2gal Reunel garden sprayer. Lengthen the hose and shorten the wand. 1/2 full of room temperature water supplemented with boiling water from your coffee pot. Ahh! The longer hose and shortened wand enables all the nooks and crannies to get attention

Typically in Baja we would allocate each a 1/2 gallon per shower. A box of some sort provides a packable asset. Maybe $40.00 otd.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#19 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Okay this thread has helped me tremendously. Thanks everyone who chimed in. Even just forcing myself to type it out and articulate my thoughts helped. Watching some vids and checking the measurements, I don’t think the added 10” of length is worth going Fleet over the proper sized Swift. Not even it’s just me and the dog in there.

So used market is pretty scarce for the Swift which means I’m pretty much looking new. How soon I buy is really going to come down to what kind of loan I can get and how comfortable I feel with the payments. I’d like to keep it $400-500. It’s also not worth putting myself in a stressful situation in order to save $850. I’m wondering if I can “order” now and put down my 15% deposit for a future pickup. 8-9 weeks might be a little too soon to make sure my camper is sold and truck is paid off. I’ve worked 48 hours of overtime this pay period and that’s going straight toward that balance so if I can keep that up it won’t be a problem. But that’s not gauranteed income. Tomorrow I’ll know more when I can call FWC and AT overland. Does anyone know if FWC takes direct orders/pickups in order to save the $700 destination charge?

#20 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Okay this thread has helped me tremendously. Thanks everyone who chimed in. Even just forcing myself to type it out and articulate my thoughts helped. Watching some vids and checking the measurements, I don’t think the added 10” of length is worth going Fleet over the proper sized Swift. Not even it’s just me and the dog in there.

So used market is pretty scarce for the Swift which means I’m pretty much looking new. How soon I buy is really going to come down to what kind of loan I can get and how comfortable I feel with the payments. I’d like to keep it $400-500. It’s also not worth putting myself in a stressful situation in order to save $850. I’m wondering if I can “order” now and put down my 15% deposit for a future pickup. 8-9 weeks might be a little too soon to make sure my camper is sold and truck is paid off. I’ve worked 48 hours of overtime this pay period and that’s going straight toward that balance so if I can keep that up it won’t be a problem. But that’s not gauranteed income. Tomorrow I’ll know more when I can call FWC and AT overland. Does anyone know if FWC takes direct orders/pickups in order to save the $700 destination charge?

Pretty sure you can order from whichever dealer you choose. Being that they are made in CA you may have to suck up  the CA tax. If you don't have to pay the kommiefornia tax a shakedown trip from CA would be great! Keep us updated on the progress and if you want to know any good spots to camp after you pick it up in CA. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users