#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

Oh! How wonderful!

I need to figure out how to get a job closer to the West again. This Midwest thing is for the birds!

Thanks Lady Bug! I sense that the West is calling you back. :)

Thanks Ski. The first time we saw the basalt columns was at Devils Post pile. In fall of 1979.

Camped at the Minaret Falls campground,right on the river.

Our daughter was almost a year and half.She had the best time crawling on the broken columns.

What a nice treat to see your pictures.

Sure looks like the "lady" is enjoying retirement.

Frank

Yes she is Frank! Thanks for kind comments! :)

Very nice Ski. That is some very beautiful terrain. Looking forward to Part 2. Thanks for sharing. jd

Yes, very interesting terrain to wander through! Thanks John! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

Foy, the fanglomerate is surprisingly well cemented. It made for easy climbing several tall pour overs. All the little nubs held the toe of the boot well. It was a bit unnerving because it looked like it would all come apart.

I believe the pictured slickenside is in the fanglomerate and not a bedrock. The fanglomerate is fantastically deep in this area.

Death Valley is calling! :)

As always, a terrific TR to read.  Moreso to read it while chained to a desk on a cold, rainy Friday afternoon in NC.

Man, that fanglomerate looks cool, but isn't it crumbly as all get-out?  Sure looks that way.  Our central NC fanglomerates are Triassic/Jurassic in age and they're very well cemented and had been deeply buried for 150-200 million years,give or take. Those young fanglomerates have the appearance of an uncompacted pile of fill dirt!

Is that a contact between the fanglomerate and the slickensided bedrock, such that you're looking at the fault plane along which the alluvial fan's sediments (the fanglomerate) were initially deposited up against?  Awesome!  

I have GOT to get out there to DV sometime, while I can still skitter and crawl around.  Many thanks for your ongoing inspirational TRs!

Foy

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

Nice TR!! Never been there-never near there; since it is real cold here in Susanville-and just in case my old dog  Bob feels up to a trip down that away--- I just ordered book that book hiking death valley.   Ya never know where an old retired guy and his faithful dog may go <_< !

Smoke

Smoke, Death Valley is calling you too! :)

There is something to be said about returning to our favorite locations.

Comfortable, at home, although away from home.

Noticing subtle changes.  Cycles, seasons, birth, rebirth.

Discovering something new, or something that was overlooked.

It's very humbling observing change and then putting that into perspective.  How insignificant our time is on this planet, relative to the environment and how it has been sculpted.  It once again reminds us to live in, appreciate each moment and take it all in.

Ski, I'm glad that you have found a place that means so much to you.  :)

Thank you once again, for sharing it with us.

Very nice comments, thank you Bill! :)

Part 2 was a nice finish to a wonderful trip.  Thanks for the ride along.  jd

You are welcome John! :)

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for sharing another nice trip. Those hot springs look pretty good to me as we descend into winter here. :)

The hot springs are wonderful :)

Another great trip.

Thanks Ski.

Frank

Thank you Frank! :)

#15 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:41 AM

This recent report has my curiosity going. And of course I only say "Goodbye Death Valley!" knowing another trip is on the horizon.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users