Photo
- - - - -

1980 FWC Keystone - Getting this old beast up to par.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

JDP.

I was in the exact same boat as you for a while, working in parking lots.  I luckily also had a guest room to put stuff in, but my wife really did not find that too amusing. Luckily I now have an awesome garage that I currently sit in while I type.

Sounds like you are tackling projects in a similar order to me.  And good for you to take the right approach of using the camper as a learning experience. That is exactly what I did and am quite happy with it. It really is not that expensive of a hobby in the grand scheme of things and has been an incredible learning experience. 

Make sure you check out my build page too as I cover almost everything you are interested in.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours! 

Tim

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#12 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

Tim,

I've seen your work and it has helped me a lot in figuring/planning things out. Thank you for that. You're right about this not being as expensive as one might think. I wouldn't want to pay for someone else's labor, but that would take a lot of the fun out as well. It really is a fun process.

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#13 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:34 AM

Man, time has flown while being busy at work. My apologies for not getting you these dimensions earlier. 

This isn't the prettiest sketch, but it should have all the info. I have some time this weekend to put into the FWC, so I should have some better pictures to accompany later on.

8BMkvZ.jpg

8mQo32.md.jpg

8mQuDv.md.jpg

8mQPV5.md.jpg

8mQNWC.md.jpg

Edited by JDeanP, 15 April 2018 - 05:13 PM.

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#14 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:36 AM

Someone has asked via PM for a link to the ratcheting post I use to hold up the roof while working. Here it is in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.lowes.co...-Bar/1000029077

8mQfvz.md.jpg

8mQFGT.md.jpg

Edited by JDeanP, 15 April 2018 - 05:11 PM.

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#15 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Is there any knowledge out there about this propane tank? It seems to be in good order, but getting blown up while cooking isn't how I want to go out. At least not in this context.

8mQvHi.jpg

8mQnEm.md.jpg

8mQLco.md.jpg

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#16 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Is there any knowledge out there about this propane tank? It seems to be in good order, but getting blown up while cooking isn't how I want to go out. At least not in this context.

-snip-

Sorry, I missed this one. I started a reply but lost it, got distracted, whatever.  Let me give it a shot now.

The thing that jumps out at me about the tank is the round valve handle.  That suggests it doesn't have an Overfilling Protection Device as it doesn't have a triangular handle. 

OPDs were mandated in the late 90s so I'm guessing this one hasn't been updated.  I understand the 2001 edition of the Liquified Petroleum Gas Code granted an exception for horizontal tanks.  However, those tanks are supposed to be marked to indicate the exception.  The other thing about it is there are different rules for portable horizontal tanks such as you have and permanently-installed horizontal tanks in RVs.  I don't know if that exception applied to both.

That raises the obvious question.  Has the tank been refilled since 2002?  If the previous owner was using it, I imagine the answer could be as simple as the owner took it to a propane refill station that didn't follow the rules.  Or it has the marks indicating an exemption to the OPD mandate.

The tank itself appears to be a vintage Manchester horizontal 20-pound-capacity tank.  We can see the Manchester logo in the top photo.  There should be markings on the metal protective collar telling you what month and year the tank was manufactured.  The general rule is a tank needs to be re-certified after the first 12 years, then every five years after (assuming it continues to pass).  And when that's done the tank is marked to indicate that has been done.

The yellow strip is an Accu-Level propane-tank level gauge. The idea is you pour hot water over it and you'll see the color change is different above vs below the level of liquid propane in the tank.   They're still being sold today.

The orange plug is to be used when transporting the cylinder after removing the hose assembly. It's purpose is to protect the valve threads and keep them clean.

The regulator appears to be a rather straightforward two-stage regulator, a Helco in this case. 

The system may work fine but of course you'll want to check things out as best you can.  I think I'd disconnect and pull out the tank and examine (and photograph) the markings.  If it's not obvious how the previous owner was able to get it filled without an OPD, start calling some propane re-certification techs and tell them what you have and see what they have to say.  If you only get to talk to a clerk, you may not get anywhere and I'm sure there are techs who will just give you a convenient answer.  You might try using the idea that you have a vintage camper and would like to preserve the vintage tank if possible.  A replacement Manchester horizontal 20-pound tank is going to cost around $200 empty, by the way.  You don't HAVE to replace it with a 20# horizontal.  An 11 pound vertical squatty might also work and those are about $60.  And, no, you can't use a vertical 20# tank lying on it's side.  Also-- the vintage re-hab guys on here may have better answers.

The other thing to do, of course, is to check that rubber hose's condition and test all the connections with soapy water once you have the tank back in place and turn on the valve.  Brushing the soapy water on with a paintbrush seems to be the right combination of convenience, access, and reach. 

Let us know how it goes!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

I just put a new one of these in my camper build up.  New Manchester tank, new regulator and hoses.  Nice thing about the new Manchesters is that they come with a guage, and sturdy mounting loops.

#18 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

That's a lot of solid info for that propane tank. Thank you. Ironically, it's one thing I didn't really touch earlier today when I was out getting serious about gutting the inside.

Work has been pretty hectic the past couple months, so I wanted to take as much out as I could to make up for "being behind". 

The fridge was the first thing to come out. It wasn't clear what type of unit it was and I wanted to see how heavy it was, if a cooler could be made to replace it, if there was water damage behind it, etc. Turns out that it's just a simple shell encased in a styrofoam case and screwed into the paneling with a simple drain hose that went to the outside of the camper. You can see that there was no sealing around the hose, just drill and feed through.

8SZU80.md.jpg

8Sg2ox.md.jpg

8SgA8H.md.jpg

8SZcJD.md.jpg

If anyone, for some reason, wants this thing, you're more than welcome to meet me in the El Paso area and have at it.

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#19 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

The furnace was also removed today. It's old (obviously), heavy, and takes up a good bit of space. I was going to see about checking out its functionality, but there are smaller, lighter options that will probably do the trick and won't keep me wondering if they're going to burst into flames at any moment.

I'm finding that a lot of the finish work was done by someone who didn't think anyone was ever going to see their handiwork in the future. Not a huge deal, but there are areas that will definitely be getting sealed up in the process of finishing this project.

Included is the information plate from the inside of the furnace in case anyone is curious. Again, if someone can actually use this thing, it's yours.

8SZaIe.md.jpg

8SZhmk.md.jpg

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#20 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:42 PM

To the right of the fridge (driver's side of the camper) was the stove and then the sink. Both of these seem to be serviceable and in ok condition.

The stove will need some cleaning up, but nothing som CLR can't handle. There were some other stoves I have been considering, but it's hard to get anything for the right price that can compete with a 3 burner that has a folding metal top built in and is already on hand. 

One Idea that I had played around with was making the stove the top of a chuck box that could be disconnected from the interior LP, unlatched, and carried outside for when it was too warm, or I simply didn't want to, cook inside. This idea probably wont see play. Once I found out about the Webber Q, that seemed like a great idea for cooking outside, as well as adding some options for cooking methods. https://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-q/

The sink is a simple stainless tub and a separate faucet hooked to a water pump. If the pump works and can't be replaced by something with a significant weight savings, it'll probably go back in.

It was very bright out today and I didn't realize that the pictures were juuust out of focus where I wanted them. However, I did get some pictures of the water tank and found a card or sticker from the manufacturer of the tank. Pictures will have to wait, but the tank itself seems to be custom made for the Keystone. It conforms to the angles and panels on the inside and even has an odd angle itself to accommodate the hose from the furnace to the outlet in a cabinet further towards the cab end of the interior. As long as it can be sanitized and used safely, it'll most likely stay. 

8SZbyA.md.jpg

8SZxRM.md.jpg

8SZXeq.md.jpg

8SZ5Fa.md.jpg

8SZy7Q.md.jpg

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users