• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply and pic's!  Now that you have been able to spend a bit of time with your camper have you any mods in mind?

Cheers!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#32 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff Arizona

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Everything so far with regard to the AK camper for size and function is great, especially now with the solar and inverter dialed in.

On an AK as you know there is no screen door. I have sewn up a screen that hangs on a rod that pops in the doorway.  It has been colder on our trips so far and nothing has been flying in yet, so we will see if this idea works later.  It may not be a good design to keep out skeeters if we are in the Yukon. Altho I am not sure there are any of those. Thought of a snap in type screen, but the draw back is: If we go in and out a bunch.  We are mostly out so I hope the hanging with rod/velcro type of screen works.

Another outside thing is I am going to put a storage box on the back of the truck.  It won't bolt to the camper, but secure it with a bracket in the back stake pockets of the flatbed and bolt it to the camper corner jack mounting brackets.  60" wide(so not to block propane access) 12' deep (wont stick out rear of truck much) 17' tall (so doesn't interfere with the top going up/down).  It can hold our outdoor table/kitchen, pack rafts, extra water or fuel or more stuff. I did install another receiver hitch in the front to hold our Mtn. bikes and/or ?.  In case we are in full gear mode(storage box in back and bikes in front).  The tool box will be removable like the bike rack in case we don't need more stuff for short trips.

Super fun getting out and about thanks for the encouragement and replys. I will send pics when it is together.

Salud!

#33 jackattack

jackattack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:18 AM

This has really piqued my interest. I think Alaskan could really capitalize on this market.

I may have missed it, but can you remove the camper? I don't see any jacks or tie-down points.

Edited by jackattack, 13 February 2018 - 01:21 AM.

Alaskan 8.5'CO | F250

#34 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

Yes I can remove the camper.  I take the jacks( rieco titan) off when travelling.  They are out of the way for rougher dirt roads, hitting rocks and ditches and smoother driving.  I feel it creates less drag and weight, and maybe equals better gas mileage.  The camper is bolted down through the 2" insulated floor to the flat bed with bolts in each 4 corners.  So far all is staying strong, tight and stable.  Bryan felt very comfortable in this method of securing.  I check every so often on bolts, the same you would do with turn buckles. Here is a pic of corner brackets. I'm going to make extension plates for ease of backing under the camper to put on flatbed. Also here is a pic of bolt in cabinet storage area.  All the bolts are easy enough to access under the bed and in the cabinets to remove camper if need be.

Attached Thumbnails

• boltingbed.jpg
  • rearofflatbedwcamp.jpg

#35 David Gendron

David Gendron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

Really nice camper, I won't comment not he truck lol, I'm a diesel fan. If I could afford a new Alaskan, I would get one made like with a similar layout with he side door and the back dinette, make a lot of sense!! It would need to be a bit larger than 7' but some thing like 9' would be great!! I also leave the jacks at home when the camper is on the truck, takes only a few minutes to take off and put on and don't need them while on the road!

Really nice set up you have there. If you ever drive through the Yukon on your way somewhere let me know, we live in Whitehorse!!

Cheers

#36 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

AK campers is bringing the second flatbed ever made by AK to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. It will be a 8 1/2 ft long on his truck. Mine is 7 ft. His flatbed was made by Protech a great aluminum company for boxes and beds. I couldn't afford one so we made our own here with steel but it was still a light weight design with protech boxes. Their boxes are made well and seal well.

Aww yes diesel was in our thoughts, liked it for sure... but a long story short after talking to diesel mechanics and I don't tow heavy things, no need to rush, and we may put the truck on a boat to somewhere where diesel is like chicken grease, I choose a gasser. lol

An update: with regards to rain/water. I have not had any water get in while driving through rain and snow at highway speeds. What has occurred is bug splatter(as usual) on the outside of the cabover. When it is on the sides(see pics) and you raise it up to make the overhead bed it sticks and is on the inside when bed is made. I wipe off the bug splatter (easy) now that it is on the inside and all ok.

I choose to have as few as possible outside storage cutouts. So the camper is well insulated for cold or hot weather camping. We use a solar shower. There are 2 outside access doors with a little room in the fridge and propane bottle areas. I am going to build a bracket and bolt an outside tool box in the rear that will be removable. It can hold more stuff, extra fuel, water, folding stairs, inflatable kayaks, long items etc. If I had a longer truck the under bed tool boxes would be longer and hold the folding stairs. I also installed a front receiver hitch so we can put the mtn. bikes on front or back.  There is more than enuf storage for us with the camper and boxes under the flatbed to get all outside items in their place when we plan a long trip taking it all.

Love the Yukon and Whitehorse area maybe next year. We were up in the are and on the Tatshensheni July 2017.

Attached Thumbnails

• toolboxrear.jpg
  • backtoolbox.jpg
  • outsidebugarea.jpg
  • bugarea.jpg
  • fridgeopening.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users