Anyone add a extra grab handle ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

We have a front dinnette, so I find myshelf using the silverware drawer handle to pull my self up.  It's probably more of a balance thing rather than putting a lot of weight on it.

#12 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:48 PM

My wife didn't like the metal grab handle supplied with my 2016 Grandby.  She found a much bigger, padded plastic grab handle, which I installed.  You can see the screws where the old handle was installed.  I just screwed these back in with a little silicon to plug the holes. I attached the new handle with a hard rubber gasket and silicon, and two screws for each end.  It seems to be very solid, and has held for a year so far.  It does make for an easier and more secure grab bar.  We both usually go out the door backwards. At first I was not in favor of this change, but after I did it, I really like it better than the original handle.

1 - 1.jpg

She also found a lightweight grab bar for the inside of the screen door.  This helps for balance in entering and exiting.  It is also very helpful in closing the screen when the main door is open.  

3 - 1.jpg

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

Never even considered going out backwards. I did through bolt my grab handle. Use it all the time.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

I have always gone out backwards and rarely use the handle.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#15 skinnyd

skinnyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNE

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

My wife didn't like the metal grab handle supplied with my 2016 Grandby.  She found a much bigger, padded plastic grab handle, which I installed.  You can see the screws where the old handle was installed.  I just screwed these back in with a little silicon to plug the holes. I attached the new handle with a hard rubber gasket and silicon, and two screws for each end.  It seems to be very solid, and has held for a year so far.  It does make for an easier and more secure grab bar.  We both usually go out the door backwards. At first I was not in favor of this change, but after I did it, I really like it better than the original handle.

attachicon.gif1 - 1.jpg

She also found a lightweight grab bar for the inside of the screen door.  This helps for balance in entering and exiting.  It is also very helpful in closing the screen when the main door is open.  

attachicon.gif3 - 1.jpg

I added the same interior handle and love it for closing the door. Seems like they should add it as an option.

#16 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

I also have the handle like Zridu has on the screen door.  It does help getting out and closing the door.  The small drawback, in my Hawk, is that the refrigerator does not open quite as far as before with the door closed. I am not complaining. Just an observation. I try to not put too much weight on it.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#17 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

I have started grabbing the gutter above the door on my way out.

#18 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

I find it easiest to know where the exterior wall handle is at by feel, then backing out while grabbing it.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#19 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

I use the stock grab bar when entering more than exiting. We got the 3-step Easy Hitch Step, so half the time when I exit I just walk down the steps forward like any normal steps. If I am carrying anything out, I tend to walk out backwards for some reason. I can't recommend the steps enough: solid, easy to deploy/fold up, and the steps are always in the same place regardless of the terrain since they are mounted to the hitch receiver and don't even touch the ground. No need to stow a rickety step ladder that may or may not have mud all over it, and the steps are a huge increase in safely entering/exiting. If weight/money are not a consideration, I think they are the best upgrade to the entry that can be made.

#20 kestrel69

kestrel69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend WA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:52 AM

I use the stock grab bar when entering more than exiting. We got the 3-step Easy Hitch Step, so half the time when I exit I just walk down the steps forward like any normal steps. If I am carrying anything out, I tend to walk out backwards for some reason. I can't recommend the steps enough: solid, easy to deploy/fold up, and the steps are always in the same place regardless of the terrain since they are mounted to the hitch receiver and don't even touch the ground. No need to stow a rickety step ladder that may or may not have mud all over it, and the steps are a huge increase in safely entering/exiting. If weight/money are not a consideration, I think they are the best upgrade to the entry that can be made.

I've been looking at the 3-step Easy Hitch Step and curious about one thing.   I have a Swift on a short bed frontier and the camper extends out 12  inches from the back of the truck...….how far out from the rear of the bed does the top step on the easy hitch extend out?  Those things are not cheap and I don't want to spend the money only to find it doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users