• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alpine

Alpine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

I have to have my new camper order finalized by Friday 12/15 to get the old pricing.  I had settled on a Hawk and was pretty set on an F250 6.9 ft bed but I am having second thoughts and might prefer the Heavy Payload F150 which is only available with an 8 ft bed.  I have until Friday to change my camper order to a Grandby for the long bed.  What off-road limitations would the 8 ft bed result in?  I figure that most of my camping would be in reasonably tame country but I would like the ability to get off road a bit.  I can live with some limitations but I'd like to be able to get into some more remote areas as I gain experience and I don't want to be totally shut out of the backcountry due to the truck.  

In addition, I won't know the exact payload until I see the yellow door sticker.  I have found some web info to calculate it and I'd like to get close to 2500 lb payload.  I hate getting forced into making decisions like this quickly so I may eat the price increase and wait until I have more info.

Thanks,  Elliott

#2 SeatoSea

SeatoSea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

I don't believe I've every heard anyone mention a F150 payload greater than 2150. My truck is 19.1' long, Some parks put a maximum length at 19', adding anything to the rear draws attention to my length when choosing a smaller site. I also noted that at 19' my turning radius on tight switch backs is impeded , and have to admit I've needed backup once in a while to make the turn(Shaffer, Moki Dugway,) etc.. But I've seen better drivers handle their longer vehicles very effectively.
It's hard to give up room and weight for the reasons I just mentioned.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

First, I've not heard that the F-150 can carry more than the F-250. We have a 2013 F-250, crewcab with 8' bed with 10,000 GRVW. The Grandby rides great and the times I have weighed the truck, fully loaded + 2 people and our dog, we have been under. In my opinion the Grandy is too much camper for the F-150.

There are limitations on turning on on those switch backs. We have been able to get to most place without problems. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Stick with the Hawk

#5 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

My 2011 F150 extended cab 4x4 8 ft bed heavy payload is rated at 2300 lbs as per the sticker on the door.

It’s a big long truck, as long as you are aware of it’s size it will take you where you want to go. Parking lots are where I have trouble, they are not made for a big vehicle

I should get my granby shell soon.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#6 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

If you're just running around on most state and federal lands I don't see where the longest wheelbase truck would be an issue.  Most loggers drive crewcab long boxes and log trucks are even bigger.  I've never had an issue in any Forest Service, BLM, or state forests.  Sure, some times you need to make 8 point turn to turn around but it's not really that hard or a big deal. My truck is my daily driver and take it everywhere from the woods to big city downtowns.   

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:23 AM

"Iowahiker" is a regular WTW contributor.  They have a standard cab, 8' bed F150 with a HD payload package that I believe is 2,900 lbs.  Look at some of his posts.  They have a Granby with no additional springs, air bags, etc. and have made many trips around the US with great success.  If you can live with a standard cab. as they are doing you get a relatively short wheelbase and a relatively tight turning radius, both of which will serve you well in the back country.  Again check out some of his posts to see if that might be a way for you to get the larger Granby.  Best of luck with your decision.    

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

Per the 2017 Ford Pickup/Camper Combination Selector it shows that the F150 Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg (code 627) yields a GVWR of 7,850 lbs for XLT & Lariat trim levels. It requires the 5.0L V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost.

Hvy pkg comes with 18" wheels, Upgraded springs & auxiliary transmission oil cooler. 9.75" gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking rear axle.
36 gallon fuel tank. Trailer tow pkg required with V8 and max trailer tow pkg with V6 EcoBoost.

#9 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

My regular cab F-150 "payload package" does door sticker almost 3,000 pounds of payload while the newer F-150 can go a little over 3,000 pounds of payload.  The OP did not state cab configuration requirements and giving advice on a Granby versus a Hawk with so little passenger and preference (cargo space...) information seems dangerous.  

We travel on good dirt and gravel roads without difficulty but avoid rocks and deep ruts because we do not have skid plates.  We would switch to a F-250 FX4 for rougher roads.  As many have said, four wheel drive is for getting us out not in.

We give thanks frequently for our 19 foot total length though many folks take 22+ foot trucks where we would not go.  When we dream of a new fancy rig (Bigfoot 1500) we always go back to the 19 foot truck for back roads, regular cab long bed or supercab short bed.  We would only go with an extended cab long bed for going to Alaska and other extended distance/duration trips because of lots of cargo space in the cab and lots of living space in the Granby.  The regular cab does have larger blind spots versus the supercab and so we prefer having the second person as a spotter in turning oblique corners.

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Alpine, apparently the F-150 has higher payloads than when I purchased our F-250 and Grandby. Sounds like others are running the F-150/Grandby with great success. Back then everything we read was a 3/4 - 1 ton was needed for the Grandby. Good luck with your choice. Happy Camping, jd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users