Air bag and tire pressure

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#211 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

I've heard many reports that poly lower shackle bushings help the ride, and reduce the vibration and resonance in the rear end.

I run Poly in all my rigs. They have pros and cons.

They do improve on road manners and the ride.

They do limit Offroad articulation, which only matters if you’re doing harder trails.

The key is the greasable bushing and the pins with the zerks.

If they get dry, the squeaking will drive you absolutely mad!

I got the Poly greasable bushings and shackles with my OME kit and so far have been perfect, when they squeak I just add a tad of grease.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#212 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:53 AM

I've heard many reports that poly lower shackle bushings help the ride, and reduce the vibration and resonance in the rear end.

"Reducing resonance in the rear end" is always a good idea, especially if there is a passenger in the cab...  :huh:

#213 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:25 AM

Just thought of something else... what bushings are you running in the leaf springs? Rubber or Poly? That would help with stability too.

no idea, I went to Deaver Springs and assumed they would do what was required and the best

#214 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

"Reducing resonance in the rear end" is always a good idea, especially if there is a passenger in the cab... :huh:

very funny Vic

#215 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

My Deaver's are being shipped with OEM rubber bushings installed.

I've used poly with different outcomes. The OME greasable bushing and bolts I use on my Isuzu's have been fantastic. Rubber bushings twist. Poly bushing rotate. When you have extreme suspension articulation rubber bushing can be torn and fail early. Poly will just rotate. Rubber can ride softer.

#216 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

My Deaver's are being shipped with OEM rubber bushings installed.

I've used poly with different outcomes. The OME greasable bushing and bolts I use on my Isuzu's have been fantastic. Rubber bushings twist. Poly bushing rotate. When you have extreme suspension articulation rubber bushing can be torn and fail early. Poly will just rotate. Rubber can ride softer.

mine are The original ones from the factory, because Dever just added to the the original spring pack

#217 acmedave

acmedave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

I run the OME 2.5" springs with an extra add a leaf and bags. I rarely need to inflate the bags more than 25lbs.

Where can a guy source this extra leaf for the OME leafpack? I currently have the OME Dakar leafpacks and airbags already installed, and I'm waiting for my Hawk to be manufactured. (We're hoping for a delivery sometime late winter or early spring)

I installed the leafpacks and other goodies myself, so I imagine it should not be too difficult to add the extra leaf to the standard OME pack?

#218 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

You should be able to source the additional leaf through any Old Man Emu or ARB suspension dealer. You will need a longer center bolt of the proper diameter. I buy the ones that are too long and then cut them after everything is installed and the pack is back together.

Caution. Spring tension is powerful and can be dangerous if something gets loose!

This can be done on the truck.

After the U bolts are removed and the axle unattached from the spring.

I clamp the spring pack on either side of the center bolt with 2 large C clamps to hold the spring tension.

"Slowly" Remove the center bolt and replace with the new long one and a washer and non locking nut. Tighten sorta snug.

Remove the C clamps and then slowly Loosen the new center bolt. This will safely release the tension from the spring pack. This is where the long bolts come in.

Once loose you can then take the pack apart and install the extra leaf in the right spot.

A jack can help here. Springs are heavy.

Then reassemble with the long center bolt and slowly compress the pack back together. Big washer under the nut helps.

Reclamp the C clamps so you can remove the non locking nut and big washer. Then install a locking nut and tighten it all up firmly.

Cut off the excess bolt with a hacksaw and release the C clamps. Now you can reattach the axle. Use new locking nuts on the U bolts.

Be sure your U bolts are still long enough after adding the extra leaf!

This assumes you have some mechanical experience and tools and are capable of dealing with attaching the axle with the U bolts ect. It's not a step by step for the total novice. Just helpful hints for those who basically know what they are doing.

Pics are from a used set of OME springs I rebuilt a while back.

elec 012 (Small).JPG

In this case I used all thread to compress the pack. this was just a test fit. I was adding spring liners between the leaves. Old school no longer made stuff. Just the pics i had on hand.

023 (Small).JPG

Edited by Squatch, 17 February 2018 - 11:57 PM.

#219 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:17 AM

You should be able to source the additional leaf through any Old Man Emu or ARB suspension dealer. You will need a longer center bolt of the proper diameter. I buy the ones that are too long and then cut them after everything is installed and the pack is back together.

Caution. Spring tension is powerful and can be dangerous if something gets loose!

This can be done on the truck.

After the U bolts are removed and the axle unattached from the spring.

I clamp the spring pack on either side of the center bolt with 2 large C clamps to hold the spring tension.

"Slowly" Remove the center bolt and replace with the new long one and a washer and non locking nut. Tighten sorta snug.

Remove the C clamps and then slowly Loosen the new center bolt. This will safely release the tension from the spring pack. This is where the long bolts come in.

Once loose you can then take the pack apart and install the extra leaf in the right spot.

A jack can help here. Springs are heavy.

Then reassemble with the long center bolt and slowly compress the pack back together. Big washer under the nut helps.

Reclamp the C clamps so you can remove the non locking nut and big washer. Then install a locking nut and tighten it all up firmly.

Cut off the excess bolt with a hacksaw and release the C clamps. Now you can reattach the axle. Use new locking nuts on the U bolts.

Be sure your U bolts are still long enough after adding the extra leaf!

This assumes you have some mechanical experience and tools and are capable of dealing with attaching the axle with the U bolts ect. It's not a step by step for the total novice. Just helpful hints for those who basically know what they are doing.

Pics are from a used set of OME springs I rebuilt a while back.
elec 012 (Small).JPG

In this case I used all thread to compress the pack. this was just a test fit. I was adding spring liners between the leaves. Old school no longer made stuff. Just the pics i had on hand.
023 (Small).JPG

Agree with every word of this 100%!!

YES on the longer spring bolt. I learned that the hard way when I had my truck all apart! Luckily local shop had some.

My ubolts were barely long enough so I replaced them with longer just for piece of mind.

If you’re near San Diego I can help.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#220 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:49 AM

After looking through this whole thread I still have some questions. When I had my firestone ride-rite installed by a dealer I was told to keep 60psi in while fully loaded for my 13 silverado with Nitto terra grappler g2 285/65/18 tires. Long story short after reading through everyone's different setups has anyone found something ideal to run tires and ride-rite air bags at? I recently went on a trip with my front tires at 40 and rear around 45 and ended up getting 8 mpg. Thoughts or suggestions for a loaded 13 Chevy Silverado Hawk? Cheers! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users