#1 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

A week into the new Swift and have successfully installed an OEM Tacoma tailgate cam on the upper starboard corner of the camper.

IMG_2388.jpg

Taking the time to route the wiring up through the wall gave me a chance to see what removal and re-installation of interior paneling will involve and made for a tidy look.

I'm pleased with the view from the dashboard screen, the wide angle of the lens takes in a large area behind the rig.

2017 Swift on a 2017 Tacoma

#2 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

wonderful, do you have photos of the interior wiring?

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#3 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

I didn't think I would miss my camera that much.

It didn't take long to realize I was wrong 

#4 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:26 AM

Alas, I didn't take any photos of the exposed wiring, I was a little apprehensive about pulling off interior paneling and didn't think to document it better. Intuition suggested there should be wiring running to the "porch light", there's an aluminum plate in that corner, likely for mounting an exterior floodlight. The shroud for the camera I made out of some spare plumbing parts.

The camera has become essential, not only for maneuvering but in particular for safety. Mounting the camera high on the back gave a greater field of view and as I train myself to use and trust it find I can do some rather fancy footwork.

I had to eliminate the 'parking guides' superimposed on the dash screen, as with changing camera position they were no longer accurate. The instructions included with the camera made it simple, just a matter of clipping a single wire.

Edited by cuervo, 25 December 2017 - 01:43 AM.

#5 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

A week into the new Swift and have successfully installed an OEM Tacoma tailgate cam on the upper starboard corner of the camper.
attachicon.gif IMG_2388.jpg
Taking the time to route the wiring up through the wall gave me a chance to see what removal and re-installation of interior paneling will involve and made for a tidy look.
I'm pleased with the view from the dashboard screen, the wide angle of the lens takes in a large area behind the rig.

where did you buy the back up cam?? I have a 2014 Tundra, need the new cam to connect to my factory cam wiring that goes to my tailgate cam when it’s on the truck

#6 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

where did you buy the back up cam?? I have a 2014 Tundra, need the new cam to connect to my factory cam wiring that goes to my tailgate cam when it’s on the truck

ottorogers...

I got it from Camera Source, I may have ordered directly from them as opposed to going thru Amazon, can't remember.

https://www.amazon.c...Y&redirect=true

You may have to look around for one which fits the Tundra but from 2014 on they seem to be plug and play.

#7 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

I bought one from camera source for my 2011 Tundra. It plugs into the factory harness. It's easy to swap out the tailgate cam and camera source cam. I stuck adhesive Velcro patch to the right of my door and a piece on the camera and just Velcro it up. It works better up higher. If mounted by license plate the backup lights blinds it and I think I'd tear it off stepping on bumper getting in and out of the camper.

#8 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

ottorogers...
I got it from Camera Source, I may have ordered directly from them as opposed to going thru Amazon, can't remember.
https://www.amazon.c...Y&redirect=true
You may have to look around for one which fits the Tundra but from 2014 on they seem to be plug and play.

getting the camera is easy, what about the proper connector for the factory connection below the tailgate???

#9 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:45 AM

It comes complete with the plugs, and about 6 feet total of cable.

As long as the vehicle year and truck model line up it's a complete setup.

Here's another discussion from roughly a month ago with the actual model camera I ordered.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Purchased a "camera only" replacement model from Camera Source (Amazon).

It's identical to the one mounted in the tailgate handle, minus the handle assembly.

It will take a bit of custom fabrication to make a mount for the back of the camper and I'm going to experiment with location, preferring to mount the camera well above the bumper to improve the field of view. I'll likely use a 2 inch 45 degree PVC elbow as a shroud. The mounting tangs on the camera are offset and may require a bit of fussing but that's what I'm good at. The camera came with good instructions, plenty of cable and reads off the dashboard screen.

https://www.amazon.c...d=18R1SG6G859AA

Bear in mind this camera is for a Tacoma.

Perusing the Camera Source site hopefully will find you one for the Tundra.

Edited by cuervo, 28 December 2017 - 03:50 AM.

#10 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

getting the camera is easy, what about the proper connector for the factory connection below the tailgate???

I have a 2017 Tundra and used the camera source license plate cam.  It plugs right into the factory connectors. I just switch between the two whether my tailgate is on or off.  I added the angle aluminum piece to protect it a little...

tundracamera1-M.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Swift, back up camera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users