Photo
- - - - -

What Brand is the 160 watt Solar Panel FWC Provides?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

I would be hooking them up in parallel to a MPPT Controller.

Thank you

Jon

FoxenTec

#42 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Can someone indicate where on the top of a Four Wheel Camper they are now installing the roof mounted SAE port?   Ours will be a Grandby with two roof vents and I wondered where on the shell they place the SAE connector?  I would assume it would be towards the rear of the camper on the side but I saw a picture of someones camper on this site and it looks more like in the middle but I wasn't sure I was looking at the SAE connector.

Thank you!

Jon

FoxenTec

#43 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:15 AM

I put mine UNDER my solar panel.  Out of the weather.

#44 pghjon

pghjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

I believe FWC uses Zamp for the solar panels

This was changed to overland solar correct? These attached to a rigid backing so they are not glued to roof. Gluing flexible panels to roof will kill them quickly, as they need to be able to cool.

https://overlandsola...wer-gen-3-panel

#45 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

I can answer that question for you.  I was at FWC last month and saw the new panel that is being installed.  I was impressed and contacted Overland Solar for details.

I talked to Rando and he pointed out that the specifications provided on the web page is wrong.  So talking to Brian at Overland Solar I got the corrected specifications.

22 X 57.25 inches

7 Pounds

Pmax 160W

32.2 Voc

27.3 Vmp

Isc (A) 6.8

Imp (A) 5.83

FWC started installs at the beginning of the year when the new owner took over. Mainline Overland also stocks the panels. 

How they are mounted is a aluminum frame with a air gap under between the roof and aluminum angle.  On the long sides there are 5 metal grommets on each side and screws are used to attach to the aluminum frame.  There has been lots of testing to see if there needs to be a thin backing plate to prevent warping or sagging.  As it turns out they are ridged enough that nothing is needed.  But a caution for my install for mounting the panels North / South  between the two roof vents was air flow getting under the panels while driving.  If I do see any wind ( not likely) then a simple poly air deflector will solve it.

I ordered 3 panels and since they have a higher voltage I'm choosing to use a MPPT controller and wire them in parallel to get more amps.  Also Overland Solar provides 90 degree SAE plugs to FWC.  

Talking to Brian at Overland Solar I was impressed with his customer service.  They live off the grid and use and test their products.  They are busy and travel a lot to shows and events where I needed to leave a message and they will get back when available.

Hope that answers your questions.....

Edited by pvstoy, 26 April 2018 - 07:52 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#46 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

Can someone indicate where on the top of a Four Wheel Camper they are now installing the roof mounted SAE port?   Ours will be a Grandby with two roof vents and I wondered where on the shell they place the SAE connector?  I would assume it would be towards the rear of the camper on the side but I saw a picture of someones camper on this site and it looks more like in the middle but I wasn't sure I was looking at the SAE connector.

Thank you!

On my 2018 Grandby flatbed model the solar panel is approximately in the middle. I don't remember where the solar plug is and the camper is at the flatbed place getting the underbed boxes mounted.

#47 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:37 AM

Can someone indicate where on the top of a Four Wheel Camper they are now installing the roof mounted SAE port? Ours will be a Grandby with two roof vents and I wondered where on the shell they place the SAE connector? I would assume it would be towards the rear of the camper on the side but I saw a picture of someones camper on this site and it looks more like in the middle but I wasn't sure I was looking at the SAE connector.

Thank you!

On my Hawk slide in, it’s about 1 foot REAR of the front vent, if that makes sense.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#48 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

At the FWC Rally last weekend, I asked about the new panels.  This was the article that made me do so.

https://www.truckcam...-announcements/

They are not mounted directly to the roof, but on a rigid piece of plastic with a gap for airflow.  The best benefit, if only part of the panel is in sun, you still will receive charging.  The 2nd best, they are 20+ pounds lighter making for lifting your roof that much easier.

Anyone going for solar on a new camper will be glad I strongly believe.

Edited by Sharx, 27 April 2018 - 07:54 AM.

#49 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

I saw this in the Truck Camper article:

Overland-Solar-160-watt-panel-with-brack

#50 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

Here is a picture of the sticker on the back of the Overland Solar 160 watt flex panel.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users