52 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

Love your Melville-like prose, It was a dark and stormy nite as the ship listed to port...

Arrrrrrr!   If only there was some white whale I could harpoon and get us out of there!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#22 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Arrrrrrr!   If only there was some white whale I could harpoon and get us out of there!

While the windshield wipers could have been slapping time to remove dust, where's the dirty red bandana? I love a good harpoon in capable hands although some could consider that just Cheap Tricks.

Sorry, :(
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#23 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

That’s quite an expedition Andy! The SV folks are a good group!

I am haunted by waters

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

great story, pictures and writing!  I love hearing about good and kind folks too.  

The missing bolts are a bit disconcerting.  Did you have the truck serviced some time ago, and someone "forgot" to install 2 out of 4 bolts?  Or was this possibly even a factory oops?  Have you checked the other side???

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Now thats an adventure. Glad you had good friends to help you out.

Makes me think. I carry spare bolts and stuff for the Jeep. I need to start a metric collection for the truck. I always have a minimum number of tools but maybe I should be grabbing that extra heavy set. Why do we carry so much "stuff" under the seat? Just because something like this could happen. Soon as the rain stops I think I'll give my trucks bolts a check. Due for a grease job anyway. 

I have a little trepidation waiting for part four. Not a great feeling when you're limping home wondering if your repairs will hold.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Andy's story should get us all looking at some of these things.

I replaced my CV shafts right 2012 left 2016.

Reason for replacing was the boots were split.

Did them myself very easy and saved a bun ch of money.

Now the next sunny day I'll have to go under and check for tightness on all bolts.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#27 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:04 AM

great story, pictures and writing!  I love hearing about good and kind folks too.  

The missing bolts are a bit disconcerting.  Did you have the truck serviced some time ago, and someone "forgot" to install 2 out of 4 bolts?  Or was this possibly even a factory oops?  Have you checked the other side???

Vic, you picked up on the source of the problem:  missing bolts.  We found there were only two out of four 17mm bolts on the drivers side and three out of four on the passenger, where the lower control arm bolts to the steering knuckle.  I kick myself for not noticing.

But, to blame others, I can say I had the front Bilsteen shocks were replaced just before this trip, however the mechanic didn't notice the missing bolts, possibly due to the fact they did not want to put truck/camper combo on the overhead rack.  Previous to that, it's been 50k miles since the first Bilsteen shocks were in stalled in 2010, when it's possible the bolts were missed.

The third option, which I suspect, is that the first set of Bilsteens were cranked up to level 5, which gave a very rough ride when dropping over a compression, like driving off a curb.  The shock would "top out" and it was a hard hit.  If I were more expert, I might have readjusted the shocks, but instead adjusted my driving.  Since those bolts only torque at 43#, it's possible the hard hits loosened the front bolts.  New shocks are at level 2.5, and I don't have any rubbing, even with 18" wheels.

I now have eight new bolts, two new lower ball-joints, one upper ball joint (on the side that broke) and new CV boot on the side I didn't replace.  I'm also nine hundred dollars lighter.  :unsure: And, I'm now carrying four extra bolts in my mechanics kit.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:17 AM

I need to start a metric collection for the truck. I always have a minimum number of tools but maybe I should be grabbing that extra heavy set. Why do we carry so much "stuff" under the seat? 

Craig, after finding myself under-gunned on my tool kit I've decided to build a more complete kit for the truck.  I ordered a Craftsman socket/wrench set with both deep and standard sockets to replace my spotty thirty year old kit.  It was 311 pcs for $189, and I'm using some Lisle magnetic socket organizers and a wrench roll to organize the kit.  Craftsman makes an inexpensive truck box that is 22" x 8" x 4" which will sit in the footwell behind the driver's seat, which will hold most of the sockets sets, plus the tool roll will fit in the storage under the rear seats.  I thought it was better to make small kits, rather than a bulky tool box.  I'm carrying full sets of 3/8" and 1/2" metric sockets, plus ratchet wrenches in metric and some standard SAE sizes.  I now own the 35mm socket for the spindle and I've got a 1/2" breaker bar I use for tire lugs.  I also picked up a new set of Craftsman screwdrivers, again to replace my thirty year old collection and stop moving tools from the truck to the garage.  The goal is a complete set that lives in the truck and I don't need in the shop.  If I don't help myself, I may help someone else with my kit someday.   I've invested just over three hundred bucks, and intend to use this set for another thirty years  ;)

#29 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

Good plan.  I carry a bunch of tools too when I roam, and like the idea of having a separate set that lives in the truck.

I doubt very much that the bolts worked themselves loose, if they were ever torqued correctly.  The torque rating of a bolt is designed to stretch the bolt so it lives under tension once installed.  Bigger bolts = more torque.  Under torque a bolt, and it could work itself loose, over torque it, and it will snap.  Proper torque, it stays put.

#30 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

Great report with great writing. Really enjoyed it and as people are saying, nice reminder to make sure essential tools are carried for emergencies. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users