• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

I can't see where, if most of the water is drained from tank, heater and hoses, where anything else needs to be done as far as "winterizing". Seems as though the residual frozen water will slightly expand being that there is plenty of space for it to do so .... without damage.

#12 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Outnabout, since the tank holds water, I add about 5 gallons and then empty at the rear of the camper. I do this a couple of times, then turn the pump on and open the cold and then the hot faucet to run things through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and do the same for the outside to get remaining antifreeze out. After I do that I will add 5 gal +/- and 1/4 cup of bleach added to a jug of water and then poured into the tank. I run water through the lines, pump, hot water tank, and outside shower. Hope that helps. As I said maybe 30 minutes to get everything flushed and tank filled. jd

Thanks longhorn1. You have confirmed what I was planning thanks.

#13 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Same as Craig333 said.  I consider my FWC part of my emergency preparedness kit (earthquakes, etc.) so I refill upon returning from each use.  Since I live where it doesn't stay freezing for a day at a time, no winterizing to consider.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#14 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

What process do people use to flush the tank? When I drain I use the valve on the outside but it takes a really long time. Is this the flush procedure? Thanks for any advice.

Try two things to speed draining. First, open the sink water faucet (s). Second, turn the drain petcock 90 degrees to the outlet tube. I made the mistake of opening it past 90 until it dawned on me that the cutout is perpendicular to the petcock handle.

It still takes quite awhile to drain but it's much faster.

#15 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

I have a friend that carries an extra water pump that matches his on-board water pump. He rigged up inlet/outlet hoses and battery clips to transfer water from jugs to camper tank. Then you have a spare pump in case your on-board pump croaks and a transfer pump.

I'm going to get/fab the same set-up.

#16 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

I have a friend that carries an extra water pump that matches his on-board water pump. He rigged up inlet/outlet hoses and battery clips to transfer water from jugs to camper tank. Then you have a spare pump in case your on-board pump croaks and a transfer pump.

I'm going to get/fab the same set-up.

Would love to see photos of that great idea!

#17 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Mike,

Here is my "2 cents" on water maintenance (only cold water in our 2016 Fleet)...(1) I fill up at home unless I know of a good water source near my camping destination...prefer to run "empty" to that water source(hey @ 7.5 lbs/gal x 20 gals or 150 lbs I try not to travel with); (2) I have added a 1 foot length of flexible rubber tubing (fastened to spigot with hose clamp) to the outside spigot--very handy addition... this allows easy, flexible filling of a portable container at camp to fit under my rear bumper minimizing waste...when we are ready to head home, I open the spigot and let it drain the last hour or so at camp and as I drive...leave spigot open when parked until the next camping refill...when we return home, also open sink faucet to drain any water remaining in the pipes/pump... do not winterize beyond that...no extended below freezing winter weather here in the Pdx area...

Brad

#18 gullrock

gullrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

Hello fellow campers .

My 07 Hawk has two water filler inlets side by side one for water tank and one for hot water tank .

Question ,

Do both tanks add up to 20 gallon total capacity or do they each have a separate capacity ?   And when Im filling the hot water tank will it fill and then spill over into water tank?

TIA

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Hello fellow campers .

My 07 Hawk has two water filler inlets side by side one for water tank and one for hot water tank .

Question ,

Do both tanks add up to 20 gallon total capacity or do they each have a separate capacity ?   And when Im filling the hot water tank will it fill and then spill over into water tank?

TIA

================================================================================

Not certain about the "two water filler inlets side by side" on your '07 but our '16 Hawk has an outside storage tank filling inlet and a hose attachment inlet for receiving water from a hose at home or in a campground...the hose inlet does not fill the storage tank but does fill the hot water tank and provide water to the sink without running the on-board water pump; use a pressure regulator on the hose source of water to protect against over pressurizing the FWC plumbing .

Hot water tank on our Hawk is filled by running the on-board pump with the hot water sink outlet open to pump 5 gallons [hot water tank holds 6 gallons but one gallon always remains in hot water tank] into the hot water tank to fill it...I then replace the 5 gallons in the main storage tank from the outside inlet and then I am carrying 26 gallons of water...25 gallons are retrievable...

But hey, I could be wrong! :D 

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 03 May 2019 - 07:43 PM.

#20 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

Here's the official 2017 FWC manual: https://fourwheelcam...ners_Manual.pdf

For sanitation, page 45 recommends 1 or 2 tablespoons of bleach (usually no more), added to a full tank of water. Leave at least 4 hours. Drain tank. Fill with water. Drain tank. Fill tank & repeat if there's still a bleach taste. 

They didn't mention how often to sanitize, but Josh at Rocky Mt. FWC told me he just does this every spring.

Page 51 gives winterizing info, and it's more complicated with a hot water heater (which I don't have). I asked Denny of Jackson Hole FWC about putting one in, & he told me, "You've gotta go to FWC in California for that. I know how to do it, but my hands would get bloody and banged up and I'd get angry."  I respect his candor.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, tank, water tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users