water tank water tank

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:34 AM

I sanitize our tank a lot now that it is warm, probably two times already this year. Maybe overkill, but I want to postpone dirty tank issues for as long as possible. I use little plastic pipettes and add four of those, which I estimate to be about 2 T of bleach. I don't like using the pump to drain the tank but will do so if I am in a hurry. Today I was draining the tank and it was about 80 out. I ran about 5 gallons out to make room for the hot water to drain, and the pump was slightly warm. I've found on my 2018, the hot water will not drain unless you open up the faucet to let air in.

#22 gullrock

gullrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thank you Sufi  .

I purchased my 07 Hawk second hand and didn`t receive a manual  . 

Most of 2017 FWC instruction manual still applies when operating the storage and hot water tank system  and clears up any confusion I had.

Cheers.

#23 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:58 AM

I've also used the pump to drain water into the sink when in a hurry. But I try not to run it too long. I'm sure replacing a pump is a bigger deal than waiting (but impatience still comes up!). It takes a really long time to drain. On trips I drain the last day while driving. It really helps to have the front of the truck uphill, which seems to drain more. But I also drain with it level in case that helps.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#24 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

I have some questions regarding my 2016 Grandby’s water tank, and I didn’t think I needed to start a new post as some post here have related issues. My Grandby has the side dinette and hot water option. My questions are how accurate is the water tank monitor and how much water in my tank is actually available via the pump and how many gallons is it really. Not 20 according to my rough measurements and calculation.
When the tank monitor showed one red light “E”, so I assumed it means empty, and I continued to get water until the pump does not shut off anymore. Then I added 14 gallons to the tank and the monitor showed four red lights.
So, good thing that I was bored and have some time and decided to take a look st my tank...
After removing about 30 screws, including one with square head to enable the cover over the tank to be removed...couldn’t FWC hire someone from IKEA to designing easier way?
Anyway, I measure my tank to be about 24x14x13, and these are approximate as I can’t get precise length due to access to one end, which translate to 18.9 gallons when cu inches total is divided by 231. I see the tank is full up about 2 inches below the top but the monitor shows it is full after adding 14 gallons from two 7 gallons containers and I could of added couple of gallons more...I usually fill up with hose until water spills out.
I am guessing the outlets at the bottom of the tank is not at the very bottom so there may be couple of gallons left in the tank which the pump can not pump out at level surface. I guess I should be able to test and verify all this by experimenting. Anyone have figure it out how best to manage the tank more precisely? I know now to not trust the monitor. A visual gauge through the front panel would be nice.

Edited by muttmaster, 09 June 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#25 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

A link or two of discussions that have gone before.

http://www.wanderthe...el-sensorgauge/

http://www.wanderthe...oes-it-measure/

http://www.wanderthe...ystem-capacity/

Search for "site:wanderthewest.com water tank level" and find more related threads

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#26 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Paul. Great links to sagely advise on tank management. I especially liked Bernard’s see thru slot in the panel. Now if only I am a real carpenter.

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

I use the Bernard method too, and will again for my new build.  And I agree, that the tank size can't possibly be 20 gal.  I have a new tank and can confirm your rough estimate on physical size.  I have not measured the actual volume with water though.

#28 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

Read others posts about usable water capacity. 25 gallons available with hot water tank? Not even close. I can get about 16 gal out of the “20” gal main tank, and after it stop draining out of the back spigot, I can drain about 3 gal out of the hot water tank into the main tank, and then out of the back. Total about 19 gallons, if I park on a slope, maybe j can get a bit more out of the rear drain. A little disappointed at FWC for not advertising the truth.

#29 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

On my 2018 Hawk, I tested by completely draining, and driving around for a week with drain opened parked on slope, etc. I then timed the filling of a 5 gallon bucket, then timed the filling of the tank. Bucket took   One minute and 15 seconds, tank took about five plus or minus a few seconds. Seems like 20 to me. Has not really been an issue, but the rear drain is slow for filling things below about half tank. I disregard the level sensor and go by grey water accumulated as well as an estimate of water consumed for drinking, usually in pack reservoirs so it is easy to estimate.

One time when concerned about having a bit of extra water, I filled the hot water tank from the city fill in addition to filling the main tank. There was definitely a solid 25-26 gallons in there. 

Edited by Mthomas, 18 August 2020 - 08:12 AM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:43 PM

I cut a slot in the wood covering the water tank as a sight gauge.  Even added LED lights that shine into the tank to make it possible to see the level in the dark.  

looking it, with lights on

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, tank, water tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users