45 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

We returned to one of our favorite places between the holidays. There are so many layers to this place, so much to explore and discover. Even with our many trips, we have still only scratched the surface. All three parts are now posted to our blog if you are inclined to follow along our our adventure.

Death Valley - Winter Break 2017 - Part One

Death Valley - Winter Break 2017 - Part Two

Death Valley - Winter Break 2017 - Part Three

Please enjoy! :)

Edited by ski3pin, 11 January 2018 - 07:16 PM.
updated

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

<Snip>

Please enjoy! :)

I did, and want more, MORE I say!!!    :P

I am haunted by waters

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Ski.

That is some rugged country compared to some of your other travels.

Waiting for more.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for bringing us along. Looking forward to Part 2.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#5 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

I'm feeling pretty inadequate over my New Year's Day hike:  3 miles round trip to the Tennessee Valley Divide and an unnamed knob within Moses Cone Memorial Park, with a gross elevation gain of, wait for it, 300'.  But, the high temp that day was 8 deg F at our 4,000' roost and we had 15-20 mph winds.  I have a few other excuses if those are not worthy.

Still no comparison to picking up 2,700' on your hike from the Dante's View parking area.  Looking forward to the story behind "the search"!

Foy

Edited by Foy, 10 January 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

The hook is set . . .

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

I'm feeling pretty inadequate over my New Year's Day hike:  3 miles round trip to the Tennessee Valley Divide and an unnamed knob within Moses Cone Memorial Park, with a gross elevation gain of, wait for it, 300'.  But, the high temp that day was 8 deg F at our 4,000' roost and we had 15-20 mph winds.  I have a few other excuses if those are not worthy.

Still no comparison to picking up 2,700' on your hike from the Dante's View parking area.  Looking forward to the story behind "the search"!

Foy

Don't feel so inadequate, Foy. Remember that you were hiking in Senior Citizen mountains. They are much older. They are much more tired than those young whipper snapper mountains in DVNP. They, also, had the disadvantage if wearing a much heavier coat of vegetation due the modesty of their years and their woefully lower metabolism. You did better than you should have expected given such an unfair comparison. And you weren't all that far from Grandfather Mountain. I feel your pain. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Yup, soon after the Alleghanian Orogeny formed them, the Appalachians rivaled today's Himalayas in terms of elevation and prominence. Fast forward a couple hundred million years, and they're but a shadow of their former selves.  But their rocks now form the Gulf and Atlantic Coastal Plain clastic wedges as well as the offshore Continental Shelf!  

Our original goal was Hanging Rock Peak, immediately adjacent to Grandfather Mountain.  But with the trail including a couple of miles of exposed ridgeline roller-coastering over bedrock outcrops covered with 3-5" of fresh overnight powder, and the aforementioned daytime high and winds, we decided to to keep it local.  We hiked into the northern section of Cone Park from our vacation home which abuts that +3,000 acre portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway NP. All of us had recently summited Calloway Peak on Grandfather so were not tempted to see how close to zero the high would be at 6,000' that day, nor what the bottom portion of the jet stream would provide in terms of windspeed.

And now, back to the young and vigorous mountains of eastern California, still within their orogenic processes, and the Ski3Pin's search for something or another!

Foy

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Another amazing trip report. DV is truly a gem and a place we hope to visit. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the remaining posts. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! :)

Mr. Sage, here is the more you ask for -

Death Valley - Winter Break 2017 - Part Two

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users