45 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Foy, I am not going to get much work done today! :)

Chaos best describes the landforms here as we'll see in the upcoming Part Three.

I will reread the quoted narrative several times and hope that some of it starts sinking into my pea brain. It is very informative and a couple of sections were "ah ha" moments for me such as -

"In response to the shifting tectonic plates, strike-slip faults developed in Death Valley. Between two strike slip faults, tension gashes opened up, forming the modern basins of Death Valley. The rocks that would become the Panamint Range were stacked on top of the rocks that would become the Black Mountains."

Two of your comments helped - "water-laid tuff"

and - Subaerial deposition over an alluvial fan or braided stream deposit in a valley floor

This could help explain this series we came upon around one corner -

DVNP-Dec-2017-219-copy.jpg

DVNP-Dec-2017-220-copy.jpg

chaos, but oh so much fun!

I'll see if I can locate detailed geologic maps based on the 7.5's.

Thanks again!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

I am fortunate to be married to a retired veterinarian (DVM & MPVM, U.C. Davis) and a horticulturist (B.S., Cal Poly SLO) who humors me when I ask her (usually on other peoples behalf) "what's the name of this or that plant?". If I'm asking for myself, I'm wondering how good that plant might taste after some time on the grill.

And, in her spare time she is employed at a wholesale plant nursery growing plants appropriate to California's Mediterranean climate, including many California native plants, as well as vines, trees, shrubs, ferns, perennials, succulents, ornamental grasses and grass-like plants from other areas around the world .

If she doesn't know she will consult with one of the nursery owner's. She then relays to me the best guess answer (sort of like a guess from Spock, i.e., 99.99999% accurate) and then I can report back.

While the overall photos that are most often shown are good for seeing the plant in its natural surroundings, it would be really good if the photographer got down close with their MACRO LENS and provided some detail about the plant in question. This will really, really, really help in the identification process.

Given that the two most recent photos of plants from the Death Valley area do not have those close up details here are the best guesses from my stable of plant experts.

For the one from Ski3pin...

gallery_2702_1188_13676.jpg

"Would guess the picture of the twiggy brownish plant to be of a Buckwheat, possibly Eriogonum rixfordii. Close up details would really help."

And, for Lighthawk's photo from his recent epic DV trip report...

gallery_2702_1188_2341.jpg

And, the more succulent plant a Pickleweed, Salicornia pacifica, or Iodine Bush, Allenrolfea occidentalis, Pickleweed is not common in Death Valley but Iodine Bush is, so, it is likely this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm just the messenger on this, so, don't shoot me.

However, get those close up photos to obtain better and more accurate results for the next round of plant taxonomy.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 11 January 2018 - 06:18 PM.

#23 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Will do Alley! Thanks for asking your resident expert to take a shot at it!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

Okay, I've got the final installment completed and posted up on our blog. We hope you find it as downright fun as we did.

Death Valley- Winter Break 2017 - Part Three

Please enjoy. :)

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

"Would guess the picture of the twiggy brownish plant to be of a Buckwheat, possibly Eriogonum rixfordii. Close up details would really help."

Pagoda buckwheat,  Rixford's buckwheat  - Eriogonum rixfordii

That's it! Thanks Alley-Kat!

from Calfora - Eriogonum rixfordii

#26 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

Yessir, the close-up looks like what I'd expect an alluvial fan or braided stream deposit to look like (and in many ways, they're slightly different forms of the same kind of deposit, no? The fan is deposited abutting the bedrock face close to and right up against the fault surface and it's deposited on a sloping plane dipping down to the valley floor, while the braided stream is overloaded with coarse sediments such that its stream flow lies atop of the jumble of sediments, but on a flatter incline downstream).  Other fan/braided stream attributes are lack of rounding of the clasts, poor sorting (meaning clasts of all sizes and shapes--but mostly angular to subangular-- are scattered willy-nilly throughout the rock), relative absence of prominent bedding horizons......that sediment was just sitting there minding its own business when an ash flow covered it up........

MAN, do I ever need to visit DVNP!

Foy

#27 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Pagoda buckwheat,  Rixford's buckwheat  - Eriogonum rixfordii

That's it! Thanks Alley-Kat!

from Calfora - Eriogonum rixfordii

Concur!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

And, for Lighthawk's photo from his recent epic DV trip report...

gallery_2702_1188_2341.jpg

And, the more succulent plant a Pickleweed, Salicornia pacifica, or Iodine Bush, Allenrolfea occidentalis, Pickleweed is not common in Death Valley but Iodine Bush is, so, it is likely this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Iodine Bush it is!

Thank your wife A-K!

Edited by Lighthawk, 11 January 2018 - 08:24 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#29 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

"Ted, did we ever share that with you?"

So I'm sitting in camp with my wife and friends that I believed, up to this point, to be rational and intelligent people. And they are all excited and gushing about the UFO's they are seeing. I try logic and they completely blow it off. I don't know what to think. Turns out they are all just playing with me. <_<  Might need to find a new crowd to hang out with. :P

"No way," Ted said and shook his head. "It'll never happen. Let's go find ancient purple mud!"

Yup, I'm a buzz kill. Can't help myself - Anal-101 was a required course.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#30 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Ski thank you for all your great report on this last trip.

What a treat for us who don't make it there as regular as you.

Your geology info is very much appreciated.

Great moon shot.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip with us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users