Shell Owners- 12V fridge or nice ice cooler

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#11 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

I really like the ice box in my 2015 Hawk-its effective for several days at a time and silent at night. However, when block ice is not available to purchase, it makes me wish for a fridge. I also use a large (and very heavy)Pelican cooler for storing the more perishable items like meat and dairy. With a good block of ice to start with, it stays cold for up to 10 days. I usually keep the cooler in the cargo area of my crew cab so I don't have to lift it in and out of the camper.

#12 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Reefer and cooler on longer trips/stays, reefer only on most shorter trips 

On winter ski trips reefer is a de facto cooler 

How much beer we pack is also a relevant factor

I formed a tepid opinion re the 3-way in our 1998 Hawk, but very pleased with the (65L) compressor unit in our 2013 Hawk

#13 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

We use side opening Engle MR040 compressor portable fridge and 150 watt solar on roof and carry a medium size "Playmate" drink cooler when ice is available. At almost age 74 my body can't lift full ice chests. We leave the Engle in the shell full time. Works great for us.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Now that I'm retired I like to be ready to just jump in the truck and go with little notice. I do a lot of middle of the week local trips. My fridge and the solar allow me to keep the ridge running for months on end mostly stocked and ready to go. Maybe just throw some meat in the fridge and some clothes and I'm outta here. The Truckfridge 51 is mounted in the floor of my Eagle shell forward. Easily accessible with the bed open or closed and my camp chairs stow beside it on the road.

On long trips even if staying in Hotels It's nice to have the fridge with a few adult beverages always in stock.

I also recently bought an Ozark Trail high performance 26 liter cooler. That is mainly used to haul drinks when needed or to take in the boat. The fridge is like the FWC itself and the furnace. It's a game changer for an old roughing it camper like me.

Edited by Squatch, 18 January 2018 - 10:42 PM.

#15 Jeromelo

Jeromelo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

I throw the cooler in my chest freezer with a gallon of water and all other foods minus stuff like eggs.  I use premade food like chili, spaghetti sauce that gets frozen.  I'm good for a week or so before needing ice.  Of course on long trips we wean off refrigerated stuff if were going to be in the bush for long periods of time and just go without some fresh stuff leaning on canned/dry foods.  It's not an issue with us...less muss and fuss. 

Edited by Jeromelo, 18 January 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#16 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

One thing I never see mentioned is how much space the ice takes up in a cooler.  A 50 qt cooler will not hold as much food as a 50 qt fridge due to the big block of ice it takes to keep it cool.   I would vote for the ARB 50 if you have the battery and solar.  I use an ARB connected to a Costco 85 ah battery and a 100 w solar panel to keep it going.  More battery and more solar would be even better.  In Baja, the block ice is compressed of ice shavings and doesn't last all that long.  The good block ice is probably not purificada from an ice house.  Of course, by the time you buy a good fridge, battery, and solar panel there is a big difference in cost.  

Cheaper fridges usually use more power.  

#17 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:06 AM

It was the ice draining that finally convinced me to go reefer, and although it isn't perfect, I would never go back. If you have enough solar/battery it really is a game changer. But my husband always says "You can buy an awful lot of ice for what that costs." So I do understand it isn't for everyone. But it is for me. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#18 Pickett

Pickett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationByrdstown, TN

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

We use Engel MRO 40 in camper for food and a Yeti in truck cab for drinks. Worked really well on a 12 day trip. Very easy to drain cooler from the cab. However the rollover couch won't deploy with the Engel so I am considering moving it to the truck cab.

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

The one thing I miss with a cooler was the draining water. My old metal Coleman had almost a spigot on it. For years I've used the drain water for hand washing and heating up to do dishes, putting out campfires ect. Helps save the freshwater for drinking on longer trips.

Sure don't miss food items floating in the water though or having to carry a heavy cooler.

Edited by Squatch, 22 January 2018 - 06:49 AM.

#20 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Well what say you and why? We have a fridge but contemplating going back to coolers.

Why give up the fridge?

I am considering going the other way, and a big factor was difficulty finding block ice, without which the cooler is good for only 3 days in warm weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users